Re: [redhat] Redhat installation on DELL Latitude c840

  • Jeff Lane
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 31, 2002
      Godwin Stewart wrote:

      >ANY hardware modem will be supported by ANY operating system, simply because
      >it doesn't need supporting, it know how to get on with its job and doesn't
      >rely on software drivers to help it.
      >
      >If it's an external modem which connects to a serial port then it should
      >work with little or no effort on your behalf. External modems which connect
      >to a USB port should be avoided because they can still be WinModems.
      >
      >Internal PCI cards are almost always WinModems. If you manage to find an
      >internal ISA card then the chances are that it's a hardware modem. Whether
      >or not your mobo has ISA slots, OTOH, is another question.
      >
      >As a general rule, go for an external modem with a serial port connection
      >unless you know exactly what you're doing.

      Thats all fine and good, but he is installing on a Lattitude notebook.
      really not very convenient to lug around an external modem wiht a
      laptop, and ISA/PCI modems are out of the question.

      To answer, the modem you choose is up to you, however, here is a place
      where you can find out what is supported and what is not supported:
      http://www.idir.net/~gromitkc/pcmcia_list.html

      this list most known working PCMCIA modem cards. So go here, and you
      will get a good idea on what is and is not supported under linux.

      Cheers.
      Jeff
    • Yousef Fanar
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 1, 2002
        My Dearest friends,
        As you advised me to get another modem, I purchased external MODEM just for linux redhat 8.0 Still redhat 8.0 can't find the modem

        so what am asking for is to tell me how to configure this modem
        the modem is
        3COM U.S.Robotics 56k message modem
        model number 5668
        please explain in detail.... I have no idea about linux...this is my first time...help me
        Godwin Stewart <gstewart@...> wrote:On Thu, 31 Oct 2002 11:41:13 -0800 (PST), Yousef Fanar <fanarr@...>

        --
        G. Stewart -- gstewart@...
        gstewart@...

        GnuPG key : BA3D01C6 (pgp.mit.edu)
        Fingerprint: C3DF C686 6572 6E59 E3E4 0F40 2B9A 2218 BA3D 01C6

        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 2, 2002
          On Fri, 1 Nov 2002 18:56:49 -0800 (PST), Yousef Fanar <fanarr@...>
          wrote to redhat@yahoogroups.com:

          > the modem is
          > 3COM U.S.Robotics 56k message modem

          Good choice!

          > please explain in detail.... I have no idea about linux...this is my first
          > time...help me

          First of all which serial port is it connected to? Here are the DOS/Linux
          equivalents:

          DOS Linux
          --- -----
          COM1 -> /dev/ttyS0
          COM2 -> /dev/ttyS1
          COM3 -> /dev/ttyS2
          COM4 -> /dev/ttyS3

          Now "su -" to root and look for a /dev/modem symbolic link to anything:

          $ su -
          Password: [enter your root password here]
          # cd /dev
          # ls -ls modem

          If something turns up, remove it:

          # rm modem

          Now create a symbolic link to the port where your modem really is, ttyS[0-3]
          depending on where you've connected it, I'll assume it was ttyS0:

          # ln -s ttyS0 modem

          I believe all the software bundled with Red Hat attempts to use /dev/modem,
          which now designates the port to which your modem is connected. For
          user-mode software to be able to access the port you might need do adjust
          its privileges:

          # chmod 666 ttyS0

          --
          G. Stewart -- gstewart@...
          gstewart@...
          Registered Linux user #284683

          GnuPG key : BA3D01C6 (pgp.mit.edu)
          Fingerprint: C3DF C686 6572 6E59 E3E4 0F40 2B9A 2218 BA3D 01C6
          Seen in the classified ads:
          COMPLETE SET OF ENCYCLOPEDIA BRITANNICA. 45 VOLUMES.
          EXCELLENT CONDITION. $1000 OR BEST OFFER. NO LONGER
          NEEDED. MARRIED. WIFE KNOWS EVERYTHING.
        • Yousef Fanar
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 2, 2002
            thank you very much friends
            so is that all I have to do to get the modem working in linux redhat 8.0..??? Can't I do it through the GUI ??? if so please tell me how?? don't I have to configure the IRQ too?

            Godwin Stewart <gstewart@...> wrote:On Fri, 1 Nov 2002 18:56:49 -0800 (PST), Yousef Fanar <fanarr@...>

            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 3, 2002
              On Sat, 2 Nov 2002 01:38:06 -0800 (PST), Yousef Fanar <fanarr@...>
              wrote to redhat@yahoogroups.com:

              > so is that all I have to do to get the modem working in linux redhat
              > 8.0..???

              This is all you have to do to get the modem RECOGNIZED in any Linux
              distribution.

              > Can't I do it through the GUI ???
              > if so please tell me how??

              Possibly, but it won't be anywhere near as quick as on the command line. I
              honestly don't know.

              > don't I have to configure the IRQ too?

              No.

              What you probably can do with GUI tools is set up your internet connection.
              If you're using KDE as a desktop environment then there's kppp or something
              like that. Others will be more help to you than me in that respect - I'm a
              die-hard keyboard user.

              The computer where my modem is connected doesn't even have a keyboard, a
              mouse or a monitor (I access it across the LAN) so I obviously can't use
              GUI tools on it...

              --
              G. Stewart -- gstewart@...
              gstewart@...
              Registered Linux user #284683

              GnuPG key : BA3D01C6 (pgp.mit.edu)
              Fingerprint: C3DF C686 6572 6E59 E3E4 0F40 2B9A 2218 BA3D 01C6
              guru, n:
              A computer owner who can read the manual.