Re: ftp with dhcp clients

  • grsgiri27
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 30, 2002
      --- In redhat@y..., "Michael K" <micke@k...> wrote:
> [...]

      Dear Mr. Klintan,
      I am interested in implementing ddns. I would like to know whether
      its implementation is reliable. I would like to know whether u have
      implemented it? Thankyou for the response.
      -- seshagiri
    • Michael K
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2002
        > > > Dear friends,
        > > > I have recently configured dhcp with more than 300 clients (win,
        > sun
        > > > and linux) using B class addresses. DHCP is working fine. But i
        am
        > > > worried about the clients (sun and linux) who want to do ftp to
        > some
        > > > other clients or windows client doing ftp to linux or sun
        clients.
        > > > Since the ip addresses allotted may be different each time how
        can
        > > > the clients check the new addresses or how to configure "hosts"
        > > file.
        > > > Pl. let me know.
        > > >
        > > > Thanks in advance.
        > > > -seshagiri
        > >
        > > The easy way: All servers that have any ftp service should have
        > static
        > > ip-addresses.
        > >
        > > The hard way: My solution would be to setup a dDNS.
        > > Both Bind and DHCPd from Internet Software Consortium
        (www.isc.org)
        > > supports dDNS
        > >
        > > Regards Klintan
        >

        > Dear Mr. Klintan,
        > I am interested in implementing ddns. I would like to know whether
        > its implementation is reliable. I would like to know whether u have
        > implemented it? Thankyou for the response.
        > -- seshagiri

        Well, yes and no.
        I've tryed it with bind in linux and win2k clients. I was reading the
        bind+ad howto
        http://ibiblio.org/gferg/ldp/BIND+AD-HOWTO/BIND+AD-HOWTO.html
        Basicly you need to configure two zones (one for the domain and one
        for the reverse) the others in the howto you don't need since those is
        for the MS AD.

        In /etc/named.conf you will need

        acl "MyNetwork" { 192.168.1.0/24; ) };

        zone "1.168.192.in-addr.arpa" {
        type master;
        file "1.168.192.reverse";
        allow-update {MyNetwork;};
        };

        zone "domain.com" {
        type master;
        file "domain.com.zone";
        allow-update {MyNetwork;};
        };

        And /var/named/domain.com.zone
        $ORIGIN .
        $TTL 86400 ; 1 day
        domain.com IN SOA ns1.domain.com. hostmaster.domain.com. (
        2002100101 ; serial
        28800 ; refresh
        7200 ; retry
        2419200 ; expire
        86400) ; minimum
        NS ns1.domain.com.
        ns1.domain.com. A 192.168.1.1
        $ORIGIN domain.com.

        And /var/named/domain.com.zone
        $ORIGIN .
        $TTL 86400 ; 1 day
        domain.com IN SOA ns1.domain.com. hostmaster.domain.com. (
        2002100101; serial
        28800; refresh
        7200; retry
        2419200; expire
        86400); minimum
        NS ns1.domain.com.
        1 PTR ns1.domain.com.
        $ORIGIN domain.com.

        Not sure that this will work. Maybe I'm forgetting something

        I haven't tried the DHCP Server. Only read about it.
        http://www.nominum.com/resources/faqs/dhcp-faq.html#B2

        Best Regards Klintan