tftp server on RedHat 7.2

  • stonefai
    Message 1 of 4 , May 31, 2002
      Dear all.

      I install a tftp server on Redhat 7.2 and run with xinetd.

      I create tftp root directory with /tftpboot and a file named
      as what file will be transfer

      When I use a client to transfer a file to this server.
      It can't work and show a message on client : Access violation.

      I look like that tftp connection is OK, but file access right
      have problem

      Would you mind to give me suggestion?
    • stonefai

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 1, 2002
          On 04:27 2002/06/01 +0000, stonefai wrote
          >Dear all.
          >
          >I install a tftp server on Redhat 7.2 and run with xinetd.
          >
          >I create tftp root directory with /tftpboot and a file named
          >as what file will be transfer
          >
          >When I use a client to transfer a file to this server.
          >It can't work and show a message on client : Access violation.

          Possibly this is sort of covered in the faq (though tftp
          isn't specifically named) and it is an ipchains issue. RH's default
          ipchains blocks many things by default--this is a Good Thing(TM) actually,
          because they know that many inexperienced people use their distribution.
          A way to test this (though it will leave your machine totally unprotected
          while doing it) is to do
          ipchains -F
          Then see if a client can connect
          To put back your ipchains rules then do
          /etc/rc.d/init.d/ipchains start

          >I look like that tftp connection is OK, but file access right
          >have problem

          I'm not sure that the tftp connection is ok--see above. Trouble is that I
          haven't messed with tftp since my Cisco cert studying, so I forget which
          port it uses and if it only uses UDP (Which I think is the case).
          Anyway, if a client can connect when you do the ipchains -F then you simply
          have to insert a rule allowing tftp. For more info, that is syntax and the
          like, see the list faq, I give an example under the samba section.
          The faq is at
          http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/linfaq.html

          HTH
          Scott

          >Would you mind to give me suggestion?

          >To post to the redhat group, send your post to redhat@yahoogroups.com
          >To reach the moderators, email to redhat-owner@yahoogroups.com

          >Filtered by despammed.com. Tracer: DAA237971022918649
          >NOTE: We've finished some much-needed infrastructure upgrades, and now we're
          >getting serious about blocking some of the worst spamhaus-style spammers. You
          >should see an improvement in the amount of spam making it through the filters.
          >Some of you have been getting far too much, and we apologize for that. As
          >always,
          >please forward any spam that gets through to abuse@... -- thanks!
        • stonefai
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 2, 2002
            Thanks Scott,

            I was stop the ipchains and iptable daemens at the first time.

            and the cisco router use tftp port at udp port 69.

            Let me expand why I know tftp connection is OK :
            If tftp server absent, cisco router will wait until timeout
            and show [writing [ filename .....] ]

            anyway You can remind me. thankyou very much.

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/