Firewall

  • Mark Johnson
    Message 1 of 4 , May 5, 2002
      I am trying to get a firewall installed. I have tried to download
      several different ones and read several docs on it and I am more
      confused than ever. All I want to do is put up a firewall between
      myself and the network card where my cable modem is hooked up. It was
      recommended by the cable company to install one since it is on 24/7
      allowing easy access. I use dhcp as that is what was recomended. I
      would appreciate if someone could help out. I can't even firure out
      which setup I sould use (masquerading, iptables, ipchains, nat, etc...)

      -=Mark=-

      btw... I,m using Red Hat 7.2 and kernel 2.4.9-31
    • Scott Robbins
      Message 2 of 4 , May 5, 2002
        On Sun, May 05, 2002 at 12:00:38AM -0700, Mark Johnson wrote:
        > I am trying to get a firewall installed. I have tried to download
        > several different ones and read several docs on it and I am more
        > confused than ever. All I want to do is put up a firewall between
        > myself and the network card where my cable modem is hooked up. It was
        > recommended by the cable company to install one since it is on 24/7
        > allowing easy access. I use dhcp as that is what was recomended. I
        > would appreciate if someone could help out. I can't even firure out
        > which setup I sould use (masquerading, iptables, ipchains, nat, etc...)
        >
        > -=Mark=-
        >
        > btw... I,m using Red Hat 7.2 and kernel 2.4.9-31

        RH has a default firewall with the installation. It's using ipchains.
        At present, as it seems you're just trying to get it going, you can
        probably use their default medium security.

        The easy way to do this is to type, as root, at a command prompt

        lokkit

        That will bring up a text looking gui dialog. You can either choose
        medium, or try customizing (you might want to do this anyway, to allow
        in ssh).

        When you're ready to start playing with it a bit more, I have a
        beginner's guide, with links to some other better guides at
        http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/firewall.html

        HTH
        Scott