Internet connection

  • Jean-Marie Goldstein
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 28, 2002
      I posted a message a couple days ago about a problem installing pppoe. I received the advice to use the tar.gz file instead of the rpm file and it worked fine. I was able to install pppoe.

      Before I was unable to run adsl-setup. Now I can run it, I input all the information required but when I run adsl-start I get timed out. When I run adsl-status I get the message that it can't read /var/run/pppoe.conf-adsl.pid.pppoe. When I go to the corresponding directory, there is no such file to be found. Where do I go from there ?

      The connections are good. I get a green light of my modem for the PC Link and I can see the activity on the line at both ends (modem and network card).

      I run two machines one is Windows 2000 and the other, which I intend to run as a server for my whole system, is the Linux machine that I am trying to connect. I can get through to the Internet without problem on the same line on my W2K machine.

      I am at a loss for what to do next and would appreciate some suggestion.

      Thank you for your consideration

      Best regards.

      Jean-Marie Goldstein

    • Andre Soeiro
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1, 2002
        What I can tell you is check if your password for the provider is correctly
        set up. Also, depending on your ADSL modem, you may want to check a
        /etc/ppp/pppoe.conf file or something like that, for an "uncommenting" of a
        line that says something like ???_EXTRA="???". (Note, I know this is just
        soooooo vague, but I am far away from my linux box right now. cant get to
        it). All I know is that the line that needs to be uncommented is for some
        EXTRA parameters for the pppoe deamon demanded by some ADSL modems.

        Good luck from here!
        Andre Felipe

        >From: Jean-Marie Goldstein <jmggold@...>
        >To: Red Hat Posting <redhat@yahoogroups.com>
        >Subject: [redhat] Internet connection
        >Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 08:56:30 -0500
        >
        >I posted a message a couple days ago about a problem installing pppoe. I
        >received the advice to use the tar.gz file instead of the rpm file and it
        >worked fine. I was able to install pppoe.
        >
        >Before I was unable to run adsl-setup. Now I can run it, I input all the
        >information required but when I run adsl-start I get timed out. When I run
        >adsl-status I get the message that it can't read
        >/var/run/pppoe.conf-adsl.pid.pppoe. When I go to the corresponding
        >directory, there is no such file to be found. Where do I go from there ?
        >
        >The connections are good. I get a green light of my modem for the PC Link
        >and I can see the activity on the line at both ends (modem and network
        >card).
        >
        >I run two machines one is Windows 2000 and the other, which I intend to run
        >as a server for my whole system, is the Linux machine that I am trying to
        >connect. I can get through to the Internet without problem on the same
        >line on my W2K machine.
        >
        >I am at a loss for what to do next and would appreciate some suggestion.
        >
        >Thank you for your consideration
        >
        >Best regards.
        >
        >Jean-Marie Goldstein

        >Start posting to the redhat group using the following address:
        >
        >redhat@yahoogroups.com

        O MSN Photos é o jeito mais fácil de compartilhar, editar e imprimir suas
        fotos preferidas: http://photos.msn.com.br/support/worldwide.aspx