Re: [redhat] CD Audio

  • Maccy
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 1, 2000
      If it just bails out & leaves you looking at the prompt, you
      can ignore the errors which have scrolled up your screen & go
      back into fvwm. In other words, Gnome's nort really installed
      -- you simply have some Gnome files & will either have to
      install what you want (KDE &/or Gnome & all relavent system
      files -- easier with rpm's) or wait till your upgrade.

      Looks as thought this is the case :-(

      Cheers
      Maccy
    • Meph Istopheles
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 1, 2000
        >>If it just bails out & leaves you looking at the prompt, you
        >>can ignore the errors which have scrolled up your screen & go
        >>back into fvwm. In other words, Gnome's nort really installed
        >>-- you simply have some Gnome files & will either have to
        >>install what you want (KDE &/or Gnome & all relavent system
        >>files -- easier with rpm's) or wait till your upgrade.

        >Looks as thought this is the case :-(

        Drag. Sounds, though, like a perfect opportunity to get into
        the guts, install & tweak. Too bad you're working on a box not
        belonging to you. But you've something to look forward to.

        Any chance the Admin will give you the CD that you can do some
        study of relavent How-To's & install yourself?

        Meph

        --
        "I did this 'cause Linux gives me a woody."
        -Dave '-ddt->' Taylor, announcing DOOM for Linux
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 1, 2000
          >Having said that, I did install 5.2 myself, and installed 'everything',
          >i.e. selected *all* the packages. Strange that things like Gnome and KDE
          >are missing however....although I guess it depends on the server install
          >right?

          Yes. Server install, though I've never done one of those -- I
          always choose Custom, won't install all the destop stuff. When
          you go for the 6.1 install, choose Expert. That way you can
          install ~anything~ you want.

          Meph

          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 1, 2000
            >Any chance the Admin will give you the CD that you can do some
            >study of relavent How-To's & install yourself?

            A *very* good chance I will be able to install RH6.1 myself :-)

            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 1, 2000
              > Yes. Server install, though I've never done one of those -- I
              >always choose Custom, won't install all the destop stuff. When
              >you go for the 6.1 install, choose Expert. That way you can
              >install ~anything~ you want.

              I've just emailed my sys manager, so hopefully he'll let me do the install
              myself like last time....thanks for the tip, I might just do that :-)
              Looking forward to really getting my teeth into RH. BTW Are there many
              differences between 6.1 and 6.2?

              I think the 6.1 upgrades are doing the rounds, maybe he's forgotten about
              me as I'm tucked away :-)

              Maccy