Re: [redhat] Soundcards

  • Bob Fletcher
    Message 1 of 11 , May 31, 2000
      Thanks a lot for you comments on OPL-3 soundcards. This is just the sort of comment I was looking for. There seems to
      be supple differences in ?machine that gives problems to some people and not others. Yours is a good example and this is
      not what is always indicated.

      My YMH-723 is supposed to work OK with OSS but again it does not.

      If I can get some consensus I would prefer to buy a new card knowing it will work.

      Thanks again,

      Bob......

      Crazy Daze wrote:

      > Well I use an Yamaha opl3 and Ive had problems with the
      > sndconfig setting it up right.. I had to use a --noprobe and
      > set the sound card up manually.. Im still experiencing problems
      > with it playing midi files.. Im getting an error message indicating that opl3.o or something like that is busy.. I think
      > I might be experiencing an IRQ conflict of some kind but none
      > is being reported as such.. just an error at boot time..
      >

      > > I would like to know what soundcards run un RH6.2 without problems. i.e.
      > > play midi as well as wave.
      > >
      > > I am currently using a Yamaha 724 that is not supported but is through
      > > OSS. It still does not play midi.
      > >
      > > So what cards are ppl using and any problems encountered. I may as
      > > well get a new one.
      > >
      > > Bob.........

      > > Hot off the press- summer's here!
      > > School's out and it's sizzling hot. Whether you're planning a
      > > graduation party, a summer brunch, or simple birthday party,
      > > shop GreatEntertaining.com before your next celebration.

      > Sign up for ICQmail at http://www.icq.com/icqmail/signup.html

    • Crazy Daze
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 1, 2000
        Sndconfig knows that it is an opl3 sound card it just freezes
        up during the probing.. As I understand it, its because Im using
        and ISA slot for it and not a PCI slot. I dont know how true
        that information is or not. I guess some people have got it
        to work.. just like you said it has alot to do with the rest of
        the hardware one has got installed upon their system.. Im
        also using RedHat 6.1..

        by the way thanks for the compliment.

        On Wed, 31 May 2000, Bob Fletcher wrote:

        > Thanks a lot for you comments on OPL-3 soundcards. This is just the sort of comment I was looking for. There seems to
        > be supple differences in ?machine that gives problems to some people and not others. Yours is a good example and this is
        > not what is always indicated.
        >
        > My YMH-723 is supposed to work OK with OSS but again it does not.
        >
        > If I can get some consensus I would prefer to buy a new card knowing it will work.
        >
        > Thanks again,
        >
        > Bob......

      • Bob Fletcher
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 1, 2000
          It seems very hard to get people to comment on what soundcard they are running. I am left with the assumption that there is
          going to be a battle of some sort with whatever is installed.

          I will keep persevering with this question both here and elsewhere until I get some idea which way to go. Even with the OSS
          driver some people get a particular soundcard to work and others do not.

          Bob......

          Crazy Daze wrote:

          > Sndconfig knows that it is an opl3 sound card it just freezes
          > up during the probing.. As I understand it, its because Im using
          > and ISA slot for it and not a PCI slot. I dont know how true
          > that information is or not. I guess some people have got it
          > to work.. just like you said it has alot to do with the rest of
          > the hardware one has got installed upon their system.. Im
          > also using RedHat 6.1..

        • Crazy Daze
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 2, 2000
            Well Bob,
            I had the same problem getting people to respond to the
            soundcard problem I had when it wouldnt work right.
            Im signed up for a few Linux groups at egroups.com and
            no response was found in any of them.. It doesnt seem like
            a topic anyone wants to discuss..

            I write music on my computer system so it was a crucial
            issue to me to get it up and running appropriatly. What I
            can suggest is running the sndconfig with a -noprobe
            and look at the list of available soundcards.. Though I still
            had problems getting the sndconfig to do all the work for
            me..

            Dont correct me on this but I think something like the
            Awe or Creative Labs Live would be a good way to go.
            One can use soundbanks which are a group of wave files
            for each of the different instruments. Ive noticed alot
            of utilities and drivers for those cards around the Linux
            community.

            If I had the money right now I would be purchasing an
            Awe.. There is some awe utilities on the RedHat CD...

            On Thu, 01 June 2000, Bob Fletcher wrote:

            > It seems very hard to get people to comment on what soundcard they are running. I am left with the assumption that there is
            > going to be a battle of some sort with whatever is installed.
            >
            > I will keep persevering with this question both here and elsewhere until I get some idea which way to go. Even with the OSS
            > driver some people get a particular soundcard to work and others do not.
            >
            > Bob......
            >

            > Crazy Daze wrote:
            >
            > > Sndconfig knows that it is an opl3 sound card it just freezes
            > > up during the probing.. As I understand it, its because Im using
            > > and ISA slot for it and not a PCI slot. I dont know how true
            > > that information is or not. I guess some people have got it
            > > to work.. just like you said it has alot to do with the rest of
            > > the hardware one has got installed upon their system.. Im
            > > also using RedHat 6.1..

            > fnCentral.com: it's where you are! Be deskbound no more. No apps.
            > Use the web's first fully integrated personal finance manager
            > from any PC, Palm, phone, internet appliance! OPEN A FREE ACCOUNT NOW.

          • Bob Fletcher
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 3, 2000
              I did get some get replies in aus.computers.linux. It would seem that Soundblaster Live will just configure perfectly in RAH
              using sngconfig. This is certainly along the line you have spoken of. So going on what has been said I will pick up a
              Soundblaster Live Value PCI that was discussed.

              But i think we are both right in assuming that the soundcard question is rather complex and perhaps people just don't have
              answers.

              Thanks

              Bob......................

              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 3, 2000
                It's good to see that you where able to get some more
                feedback before many any definite decision on what
                card to go with.. It would be ashamed to have to return
                it to the store and exchange it a few times until one
                worked. Im also going to have to make a purchase of
                a better sound cardvery soon. (hopefully) :)

                Yes its probably because not to many people have the
                answers to some of the questions tossed out.. I hope
                everything goes well with the card.. :)

                On Sat, 03 June 2000, Bob Fletcher wrote:

                > I did get some get replies in aus.computers.linux. It would seem that Soundblaster Live will just configure perfectly in RAH
                > using sngconfig. This is certainly along the line you have spoken of. So going on what has been said I will pick up a
                > Soundblaster Live Value PCI that was discussed.
                >
                > But i think we are both right in assuming that the soundcard question is rather complex and perhaps people just don't have
                > answers.
                >
                > Thanks
                >
                > Bob......................
                >

                > Crazy Daze wrote:
                >
                > > Well Bob,
                > > I had the same problem getting people to respond to the
                > > soundcard problem I had when it wouldnt work right.
                > > Im signed up for a few Linux groups at egroups.com and
                > > no response was found in any of them.. It doesnt seem like
                > > a topic anyone wants to discuss..

                > Take your development to new heights. Work with clients like Dell and
                > pcOrder. Submit your resume to jobs@.... Visit us at

              • Crazy Daze
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 3, 2000
                  Thanks Gary for you putting in your 2cents worth. It really appreciated.. and WELCOME!!!!
                  On Sat, 03 June 2000, Gary Lawler wrote:> > > > Well, I am new to the group. >

                  About the Creative Labs Sound Blaster live here is a page for drivers, > hope this might help since I did not here the original question. >

                  http://opensource.creative.com/ >

                  Crazy Daze wrote: >

                  > Well Bob, >
                  > I had the same problem getting people to respond to the >
                  > soundcard problem I had when it wouldnt work right. >
                  > Im signed up for a few Linux groups at egroups.com and >
                  > no response was found in any of them.. It doesnt > seem like >
                  > a topic anyone wants to discuss.. >
                  >

                  > -- >
                  Come as you are, as you were, As I want you to be - Nirvana >
                  --- >
                  Gary Lawler >
                  E-mail - glawlert6@... >
                  Icq - 42478946 >
                  AIM - AcidAdrinalin >
                  Registered Linux User 172531 >

                  --- >
                  Better to be judged by twelve than carried by six. >