HP Printer Issues

  • Richard Crawford
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 30, 2001
      In our house, we have an HP DeskJet 712c printer. The printer is hooked
      up to a Windows98SE laptop which acts as our print server (it was the
      only spare computer we had). I've established a connection from my
      Linux box to the printer just fine, but when I try printing from my
      Linux box, I receive this error on my Windows computer:

      Hpfbkg13: This program has performed an illegal operation yada yada yada
      yada.

      Aside from the obvious and most effective solution of dumping Win98 on
      the laptop computer and replacing it with Linux (which my wife would be
      dead-set against) is there anything I can do? I have already tried
      uninstalling and installing the printer drivers on the win98 computer.
      Has anyne encountered a problem like this, and does anyone have any
      ideas for how to solve it?

      --
      Sliante,
      Richard S. Crawford

      mailto:rscrawford@... http://www.mossroot.com
      AIM: Buffalo2K ICQ: 11646404 Yahoo!: rscrawford
      MSN: underpope@...

      "When you have lost the ability to laugh at yourself, you have lost the
      ability to think straight." --Clarence Darrow

      "Push the button, Max!"
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 2001
        On Fri, 30 Nov 2001 18:17:07 -0800, Richard Crawford
        <rscrawford@...> wrote:

        > Aside from the obvious and most effective solution of dumping Win98 on
        > the laptop computer and replacing it with Linux (which my wife would be
        > dead-set against) is there anything I can do?

        The other effective solution is to change your printer. Sorry, but HP
        deskjet drivers for Win32c are notoriously buggy.

        Of course, you could try and find out if there have been later releases of
        your drivers:

        http://www.hp.com/cposupport/swindexes/dj712c_swen.html

        HTH's

        | G. Stewart -- gstewart@... |
        | Port de Pontille, FR-37500 CHINON, FRANCE. |
      • Gustavo Zamorano S.
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 1, 2001
          Be careful!
          Searching at www.hp.com I found that HP as well as others make what they
          call "WINPRINTERS". That means that some HP printers are for MS Windows
          only and will not work directly from Linux... (unless someone did a
          Linux driver for some of them lately).
          The HP Winprinters are: 710C, 712C, 720C, 820cxi, 820cse, 1000c,
          1000cxi, 1000cse, laserjet 3100, ppa and gdi.

          As you see, HP-712C is a winprinter.
          I am actually working with RedHat 7.1 and the printool utility shows the
          following HP drivers for these winprinters:

          710c, 712c, 720c.

          If this is true, then I suggest you to work with Linux 7.1. I do not
          know if previous versions will support your printer.
          About the error message Windows is displaying: I do not know if it is
          the NORMAL Windows behavior we all are used to or the problem is that
          that driver does not understand what Linux is sending for printing. As
          usual, I recommend you to reinstall that driver.
          After all, if your Linux has a driver for your printer, did you try to
          print directly to it form Linux?...In that case, If you are printing
          from Linux using SAMBA then it should print something...
          I would like to know if that winprinter will print directly from Linux.
          GZS

          Richard Crawford wrote:

          > In our house, we have an HP DeskJet 712c printer. The printer is
          > hooked
          > up to a Windows98SE laptop which acts as our print server (it was the
          > only spare computer we had). I've established a connection from my
          > Linux box to the printer just fine, but when I try printing from my
          > Linux box, I receive this error on my Windows computer:
          >
          > Hpfbkg13: This program has performed an illegal operation yada yada
          > yada
          > yada.
          >
          > Aside from the obvious and most effective solution of dumping Win98 on
          > the laptop computer and replacing it with Linux (which my wife would
          > be
          > dead-set against) is there anything I can do? I have already tried
          > uninstalling and installing the printer drivers on the win98 computer.
          >
          > Has anyne encountered a problem like this, and does anyone have any
          > ideas for how to solve it?
          >
          > --
          > Sliante,
          > Richard S. Crawford
          >
          > mailto:rscrawford@... http://www.mossroot.com
          > AIM: Buffalo2K ICQ: 11646404 Yahoo!: rscrawford
          > MSN: underpope@...
          >
          > "When you have lost the ability to laugh at yourself, you have lost
          > the
          > ability to think straight." --Clarence Darrow
          >
          > "Push the button, Max!"
          >
          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          >

          > Start posting to the redhat group using the following address:
          >
          > redhat@yahoogroups.com

          This Message is sent from My Linux Station at Home

          .-.
          .-. | Gustavo Zamorano S.