RE: [redhat] Visual Programming environment

  • Saleh Diab
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 3, 2001
      I tried to download KDevelop from http://www.kde.org/ but I got the error
      Bad Gateway
      The following error occurred:
      A DNS lookup error occurred. The request timed out during the lookup.

      ----
      Please contact the administrator.
      Is it a temporary problem? Where else I can download it? Buy the way is it
      free?

      Saleh Diab
      MCP sine 2000
      www.salehd.8m.com

      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 3, 2001
        If you are downloading from Linux:
        check your /etc/resolv.conf file.
        domain your_domain
        nameserver dns_ip

        Check also your default gateway.

        GZS

        Saleh Diab wrote:

        > I tried to download KDevelop from http://www.kde.org/ but I got the error
        > Bad Gateway
        > The following error occurred:
        > A DNS lookup error occurred. The request timed out during the lookup.

        > ----
        > Please contact the administrator.
        > Is it a temporary problem? Where else I can download it? Buy the way is it
        > free?
        >
        > Saleh Diab
        > MCP sine 2000
        > www.salehd.8m.com

        This Message is sent from My Linux Station at Home

        .-.
        .-. | Gustavo Zamorano S.
      • Jacques
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 5, 2001
          I have another problem. I know I've edited a file that I added "blackbox"
          to but I can't find it. is there a way that I can search files for their
          content?

          Thanks
        • Dan Nedelcu
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 6, 2001
            On Tue 06 Nov 2001 05:09, you wrote:
            > I have another problem. I know I've edited a file that I added "blackbox"
            > to but I can't find it. is there a way that I can search files for their
            > content?
            >
            > Thanks
            You can find with "mc".
            It has a option in "Command", "search file" with content.

            Dan Nedelcu
          • Gustavo Zamorano
            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 6, 2001
              You can use grep.
              cd wherever_the_files-are
              grep this_word *
              GZS

              Dan Nedelcu wrote:

              > On Tue 06 Nov 2001 05:09, you wrote:
              > > I have another problem. I know I've edited a file that I added "blackbox"
              > > to but I can't find it. is there a way that I can search files for their
              > > content?
              > >
              > > Thanks
              > You can find with "mc".
              > It has a option in "Command", "search file" with content.
              >
              > Dan Nedelcu
              >

              > Start posting to the redhat group using the following address:
              >
              > redhat@yahoogroups.com

              This Message is sent from My Red Hat Linux Station
              .-.
              .-. | Gustavo Zamorano S.
            • Jacques
              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 6, 2001
                How can I set permissions to a group so that they only have access to a
                specific directory?

                The group 'ftp' should only have access to /var/www/*. Can anybody help me
                to do this. I have read the manuals for chgrp to no success.

                Thanks
                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 6, 2001
                  On Tue, Nov 06, 2001 at 09:46:55PM -0500, Jacques <snakejb12@...> wrote:

                  | How can I set permissions to a group so that they only have access to a
                  | specific directory?
                  |
                  | The group 'ftp' should only have access to /var/www/*. Can anybody help me
                  | to do this. I have read the manuals for chgrp to no success.

                  chgrp ftp /var/www ## apply group ownership to the directory
                  chmod o-rwx /var/www ## remove access for people not in the group
                  ls -ld /var/www ## see what it looks like now
                  --
                  Cameron Simpson, DoD#743 cs@... http://www.zip.com.au/~cs/

                  Yield to temptation; It may not pass your way again. - Robert A Heinlein
                • Gustavo Zamorano S.
                  Message 8 of 19 , Nov 6, 2001
                    I think you should read about setting up anonymous ftp.
                    That will allow users to have a directory, for example /home/ftp as the
                    root directory.
                    In that way they will not be able to go to an upper directory, because
                    /home/ftp is / for them.
                    Reference: chroot.

                    GZS

                    Message 9 of 19 , Nov 18, 2001
                      I installed wmaker according to the INSTALL and when I 'startx' I get an
                      error about unable to load linked library. Can anybody help me solve this
                      problem?

                      Thanks
                    • Brian L. Johnson
                      Message 10 of 19 , Nov 18, 2001
                        Ok, you need to run /sbin/ldconfig as root to "install" the linked
                        libraries.

                        Then, as a user, you have to run wmaker.inst to set up the needed files
                        in your home directory.

                        -=Brian L. Johnson, www.blj8.com=-
                        9136 links at blj8.com!
                        ---------------------------------
                        For PGP key email to: pgpkey@...
                        For Geekcode email to: geekcode@...

                        On Nov 18, Jacques tapped one key, than another, then another...

                        >I installed wmaker according to the INSTALL and when I 'startx' I get an
                        >error about unable to load linked library. Can anybody help me solve this
                        >problem?
                      • Jacques
                        Message 11 of 19 , Nov 18, 2001
                          I did do ldconfig but that still didn't solve the problem. Could there be
                          any other reason for this?

                          Message 12 of 19 , Nov 18, 2001
                            Did you install libPropList first? WindowMaker needs that.

                            -=Brian L. Johnson, www.blj8.com=-
                            9136 links at blj8.com!
                            ---------------------------------
                            For PGP key email to: pgpkey@...
                            For Geekcode email to: geekcode@...

                            On Nov 18, Jacques tapped one key, than another, then another...

                            >I did do ldconfig but that still didn't solve the problem. Could there be
                            >any other reason for this?
                          • Jacques
                            Message 13 of 19 , Nov 18, 2001
                              Where could I find libPropList? Does it come with the WindowMaker tar.gz?

                              Message 14 of 19 , Nov 18, 2001
                                It is a seperate package/tarball, should be available at the same
                                location you got WindowMaker...

                                -=Brian L. Johnson, www.blj8.com=-
                                9136 links at blj8.com!
                                ---------------------------------

                                Message 15 of 19 , Dec 3, 2001
                                  I have a problem. I did something to a disk and now it's not recognized.
                                  It says it's an unrecognized filesystem. I can't format it because I get
                                  the same error. How can I solve this problem?

                                  Secondly, I want to copy a disk to a disk. How can I do this?

                                  Thanks
                                • Brian L. Johnson
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Dec 3, 2001
                                    Well, you can try specifying the FS type ("msdos") to mount like this:
                                    mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy

                                    If that doesn't work, you can try reformatting the diskette. I know you
                                    said it couldn't be formatted, but we can always try a couple
                                    alternatives:

                                    If you have mtools installed, you can "mformat a:"

                                    If you don't have mtools, you can "/sbin/mkfs.msdos /dev/fd0"

                                    And if all that fails, I would be inclined to just toss it, cause
                                    diskettes are cheap, and not worth a whole lot of aggravation trying to
                                    fix.

                                    As to copying disk-to-disk, you can use the "dd" program to copy the
                                    diskette image to file, then copy that image file to the other diskette.

                                    dd if=/dev/fd0 of=diskette.img
                                    (change diskettes)
                                    dd if=diskette.img of=/dev/fd0

                                    -=Brian L. Johnson, www.blj8.com=-
                                    9136 links at blj8.com!
                                    ---------------------------------
                                    For PGP key email to: pgpkey@...
                                    For Geekcode email to: geekcode@...

                                    On Dec 3, Jacques tapped one key, than another, then another...

                                    >I have a problem. I did something to a disk and now it's not recognized.
                                    >It says it's an unrecognized filesystem. I can't format it because I get
                                    >the same error. How can I solve this problem?
                                    >
                                    >Secondly, I want to copy a disk to a disk. How can I do this?
                                  • Mehul Thakkar
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Dec 4, 2001
                                      If you have used mount command to mount floppy and in between you
                                      just take floppy out then it certainly damages your floppy.I would
                                      suggest instead of using mount command use "mtools".Using "mtools"
                                      you can use any dos command with m as a prefix.So if you want to copy
                                      something from floppy to hard disk then you just have to type
                                      $mcopy <filename> .

                                      Regs,
                                      Mehul