Re: [redhat] Networks

  • sodar
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 4, 2001
      Hello Saleh,

      Friday, October 05, 2001, 4:54:46 AM, you wrote:

      SD> Sorry for the question, it may seem very stupid, but can anyone give my a
      SD> brief description about how to make a network from two computers running red
      SD> hat 7?

      Just like any other computers.

      SD> Saleh Diab
      SD> MCP sine 2000
      SD> www.salehd.8m.com

      Well, as "IT Professional" you can buy good Linux-related book...

      --
      Best regards,
      sodar mailto:sodar@...
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 4, 2001
        Maybe what's also being requested, is information about how to *join* the
        two computers. No hub is required when the number of computers is under
        3, since the hub is just a switch that rapidly makes the equivalent of a
        two-computer network connection.

        Just get yourself a crossover ethernet cable, and put it between the two
        computers (for 3 or more, you'll need a hub, and then you use normal
        cables for *all* the connections to the network cards). Each PC needs a
        network card (obviously), and these are pretty cheap today.

        Configure resolv.conf, services, inetd.conf, networks, etc., and you can
        then say "Bob's your uncle."

        Good luck.

        _____ . .
        ' \\ . . |>>
        O// . . |
        \_\ . Charles Kirby . |
        | | . . . . |
        / | . . . . |
        / .| kirbych@... ...o |

      • John Hamman @ [AYE! IDEA]
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 4, 2001
          hi all,
          First of all im new to linux but im a fast learner. I just set up redhat on a spare computer and would like to network it to my win2k box. my internet connection comes in from a cable modem into my win2k. Could someone tell me what i need to do on the linux side as far as seting it up. I can ping the linux from my win2k but cant ping the win2k from my linux. Im completely lost. Any good tutorials out there for not to bright people like me?
          john

        • Saleh Diab

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 4, 2001
              Thanks for the answer, I should ask what files should I configure, how? I
              thing that I can use the file hosts, writing in it the address of the second
              computer. However, how can I share a file, I'm new to Linux, but in windows
              you have to share a file, is it the same in Linux? How can I open a file in
              the second computer, in windows I would write \\computername\folder\file
              what I should do in Linux?

              Saleh Diab
              MCP sine 2000
              www.salehd.8m.com

              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 5, 2001
                Sure, you could put "192.168.0.2 computer2" as a line in your hosts file.
                Then, a ping to "computer2" will translate directly to "192.168.0.2", so a
                "telnet computer2" could take you to the correct login prompt.
                Make sure /etc/sysconfig/ files are correct. I guess "network" has to be
                configured... mine looks similar to:
                NETWORKING=yes
                HOSTNAME=mylinuxbox
                DOMAINNAME=linuxbox.com
                GATEWAY=192.168.0.1
                GATEWAYDEV=eth0

                The file that does the important work for the NIC card is
                mine looks like this:
                DEVICE=eth0
                BOOTPROTO=static
                BROADCAST=192.168.0.255
                IPADDR=192.168.0.2
                NETMASK=255.255.255.0
                NETWORK=192.168.0.0
                ONBOOT=yes

                This isn't like Micro$oft, where you have a GUI to see other drives. Use
                ftp to get a file from another computer on the network.

                Good luck

              • Emilio Gerardo Milian
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 9, 2001
                  See: http://www.helmig.com/j_helmig/dccmain.htm