RE: [despammed] RE: [redhat] Kernel Time

    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 30, 2001
      On 20:20 2001/09/30 -0400, Jacques wrote
      >Before I go try your method. When I follow the README everything is
      >successful but when I boot from the following in LILO:
      >
      >image=/boot/bzImage
      >label=newlinux
      >read-only
      >root=/dev/hdb6
      >
      >it hangs after:
      >ok, booting kernel

      ARGH---I forgot to mention that, frequent as it is.
      Ok, wrong processor---
      Ok, here's what we do.
      cd /usr/src/linux
      DON'T make mrproper
      make menuconfig
      Go down to processor, choose the one that you have--that's another thing
      (don't know if it's only RH in this case) but i586, for example, is what it
      will show, even if you have a K6-II processor.

      I'm REALLY sorry about that, I simply forgot to mention it.

      Once you've chosen the processor to match your system, then
      make dep; make clean; make bzImage (all that as before.)
      make modules; make modules_install
      cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.9 (or whatever--I guess you
      left its name as bzImage)
      run lilo again, even though nothing's changed
      /sbin/lilo
      boot and it should work. Again, I apologize for not mentioning that
      part. FWIW it's happened to me many times the default is PIII I think.

      Also, double check your boot sector to be sure that bzImage is in there
      (although if it wasn't, lilo probably would have given an error message.
    • Kirk
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 30, 2001
        Hello Jacques,

        === Monday, October 01, 2001, you wrote:

        J> I have downloaded kernel 2.4.9. This is what I did:

        >snip<

        J> I though I was done but it doesn't seem to be updated or at least it doesn't
        J> recognize it because when I do 'uname -r' i still get 2.4.2. Is there
        J> something i am missing or what am i doing wrong?

        J> Thanks
        J> Jacques

        Well I'm a newbie at this too, isn't it fun ???
        Using RH-7.1 this is the method I use, it's worked with my upgrades
        from 2.4.2, bla-bla, 2.4.9 so far, in the next few days I'll go 2.4.10.

        This should work for you too, if using RH pay special attention to
        step 10.

        These steps are modified by me, I originally saw them posted on the
        website of a member of another linux-list (thanks to skylinux).

        Hope it works for you too :)

        1--------
        login as 'root'

        2--------
        'cp linux-2.4.2.tar.gz /usr/src/'

        3--------
        'cd /usr/src/'

        4--------
        Check if your old Kernel source is in /usr/src/linux if so,
        do 'mv /usr/src/linux linux-X.X.X' where X.X.X is your curent kernel version.
        This will keep your old Kernel source it case you don't like your new kernel.
        You can remove it later.

        5--------
        'tar -zxvf linux-2.4.2.tar.gz'

        6--------
        Now move your new Kernel source,
        'mv /usr/src/linux /usr/src/linux-2.4.2'
        and create a link to it
        'ln -s /usr/src/linux-2.4.2 /usr/src/linux'

        7--------
        Check the file 'linux/Documentaion/Changes' for the latest requirements.

        8--------
        Run 'make mrproper' in /usr/src/linux/

        9--------
        You are ready to configure your Kernel, you have 4 choices:
        'make config' Config with bash, config asks you the config questions
        'make menuconfig' Text based color menus, radiolists & dialogs.
        'make xconfig' X windows based configuration tool.
        'make oldconfig' Default all questions based on the contents of your existing ./.config file.
        I recommend using 'make menuconfig' or 'make xconfig'

        10--------
        When you are done configuring your kernel AND you saved the configuration,
        you should check you '/usr/src/linux/Makefile' if the paths are correct.
        You proberbly don't need to change anything - but you should take a look!

        REDHAT USERES WATCH OUT!!!
        RedHat puts it's Kernel and stuff into /boot so uncomment the line
        '#export INSTALL_PATH=/boot'
        (that means remove the #)

        11--------
        Run 'make dep'

        12--------
        Run 'make clean'

        13--------
        Run 'make bzImage'

        14--------
        In order to use ppp run
        'mknod /dev/ppp c 108 0'
        to create a device called ppp
        15--------
        If you build ppp support as modules,
        you will need the following in your '/etc/modules.conf' file:

        alias char-major-108 ppp_generic
        alias /dev/ppp ppp_generic
        alias tty-ldisc-3 ppp_async
        alias tty-ldisc-14 ppp_synctty
        alias ppp-compress-21 bsd_comp
        alias ppp-compress-24 ppp_deflate
        alias ppp-compress-26 ppp_deflate

        16--------
        Run 'make modules'

        17--------
        Install the modules 'make modules_install'

        18--------
        When it's done,
        'cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-x.x.x'

        19--------
        edit 'vi /etc/lilo.conf' and add the new kernel image.

        boot=/dev/hda
        map=/boot/map
        prompt
        timeout=50
        message=/boot/message
        default=new

        image=/boot/vmlinuz-x.x.x
        label=new
        read-only
        root=/dev/hda5

        image=/boot/vmlinuz-x.x.x
        label=old
        read-only
        root=/dev/hda5

        20--------
        run 'lilo'

        You're done!!!
      • Jacques
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 1, 2001
          Scott,

          Thank you for your help. I now use kernel-2.4.9

          Jacques

          On 20:20 2001/09/30 -0400, Jacques wrote
          >Before I go try your method. When I follow the README everything is
          >successful but when I boot from the following in LILO:
          >
          >image=/boot/bzImage
          >label=newlinux
          >read-only
          >root=/dev/hdb6
          >
          >it hangs after:
          >ok, booting kernel

          ARGH---I forgot to mention that, frequent as it is.
          Ok, wrong processor---
          Ok, here's what we do.
          cd /usr/src/linux
          DON'T make mrproper
          make menuconfig
          Go down to processor, choose the one that you have--that's another thing
          (don't know if it's only RH in this case) but i586, for example, is what it
          will show, even if you have a K6-II processor.

          I'm REALLY sorry about that, I simply forgot to mention it.

          Once you've chosen the processor to match your system, then
          make dep; make clean; make bzImage (all that as before.)
          make modules; make modules_install
          cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.9 (or whatever--I guess you
          left its name as bzImage)
          run lilo again, even though nothing's changed
          /sbin/lilo
          boot and it should work. Again, I apologize for not mentioning that
          part. FWIW it's happened to me many times the default is PIII I think.

          Also, double check your boot sector to be sure that bzImage is in there
          (although if it wasn't, lilo probably would have given an error message.

          Start posting to the redhat group using the following address:

          redhat@yahoogroups.com