Re: probs installing linux

  • Henrik Holmboe
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 18, 1999
      Hi,

      I had a similar problem some time ago, and I fiddled with both fdisk
      for Win98/95 and fdisk that ships with RH 5.2 and Debian 2.0. Either
      one of them should allow you to delete the partitions that you choose.
      You can do this from a boot disk if create it, here's how you do:
      [win, dos]
      format a: /S
      copy fdisk.exe a: (you have to locate it)

      [linux]
      your installation boot disks run fdisk as one of the first things
      during a new install, you can boot, use fdisk and then abort
      installation, after you have made your changes.

      Hope that this helps!

      Henrik Holmboe, Borlange, Sweden

      ---Mark Newman <Mark_Newman@...> wrote:

      > Hi
      >
      > I have just installed Linux on my p400 PC 64mb alongside win98.
      Everythig seemed to go fine but then the problems set in as follows.

      > firstly when I try to mount my cd rom using
      >
      > mount /mnt/cdrom
      >
      > I get the following
      >
      > hdc: media changed
      > packet command error status 0x51
      > packet command error status 0x00
      >
      > then when I access the cdrom it seems to work but if I go into RPMS
      and try to install the SVGA driver for my Riva TNT chipset as I got
      the wrong driver on the initial install it cant find the file. ls
      brings up no Xfree files. I use the following comand

      > rpm -ivh Xfree86_SVGA
      >
      > error cannot open file results.
      >

      > The plot thickens. I tried to install again hoping just to instll
      the correct video driver but the installation process haults saying

      > abnormally terminated -signal 7.
      >

      > FDISK will not allow me to remove the partition to re install from
      scratch it says I must first remove logical partitions but then cant
      find any to delete. Is this as scary as it sounds? The system boots
      fine but I have no idea how I would remove this partition should I
      need to.

      > Does anyone have any edperience of TNT under linux I am guessing
      either SVGA or VGA are my best bets

      > I would appreciate any help anyone can provide on any of the above.
      I come from an Amiga background and really want to get Linux up and
      running as alternative to Windows.