Re: [redhat] true type fonts

  • anil rajapure
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 6, 2001
      I had the same experience. I did all the steps as
      mentioned bellow, but I could not get tru type fonts
      work in my red hat - 6.2.

      I am still working on it.

      do reply

      >From: Chris LaFrance <lafrance@...>
      >To: <redhat@yahoogroups.com>
      >Subject: Re: [redhat] true type fonts
      >Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 08:10:34 -0400 (EDT)
      >

      >Take a look at xfstt, it works great. I can't remember the website, so
      >just check freshmeat and you will find it.
      >
      >--
      >Chris LaFrance, System Administrator
      >Berkshire County Network
      >email: (chris@...)
      >

      >On Thu, 6 Sep 2001 abisuite@... wrote:
      >
      > > Hi,
      > > Is it possible to install the windows true type fonts in linux? The
      > > august issue of DIGIT
      > > Suggested a method to do the same, but I seem to have goofed it up.
      > > Here are the steps :
      > > 1) Use Xfree 4.0 ?( I have installed redhat 7.1)
      > > 2) Create /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/truetype
      > > 3) Copy all .ttf files here
      > > 4) From within this directory run mkttfdir?( the bash shell has
      > > never heard of mkttfdir)
      > > 5) Add the following line to XF86Config file:
      > > FontPath /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/truetype??I edited
      > > the /etc/X11/.XF86Config, hopefully it is the one they are talking
      > > about.
      > > 6)Restart X
      > >

      > > Ok, I did all that. The mkttfdir command does not work anyway. Is
      > > there an alternative ?
      > >
      > > Thanks
      > > Abisuite
      > >

      > > Start posting to the redhat group using the following address:
      > >
      > > redhat@yahoogroups.com
      > >

      > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
      >http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      > >

      >Start posting to the redhat group using the following address:
      >
      >redhat@yahoogroups.com

    • Hadi Ariwibowo
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 7, 2001
        >From: "anil rajapure" <cranil7@...>
        >Subject: Re: true type fonts
        >

        >I had the same experience. I did all the steps as
        >mentioned bellow, but I could not get tru type fonts
        >work in my red hat - 6.2.
        >
        >I am still working on it.
        >
        >do reply

        Well, maybe it's too late but maybe it could be useful....
        [ I am using RedHat 7.0 ]
        Here's my steps to install ttf in my Linux Box :
        1. Because my computer has dual-booting (win98SE and RedHat 7.0), so I just
        mount I windows partition that filled with truetype fonts, BTW ofcourse I
        login as "root".
        2. After mounting the windows partition, I went in to that directory, for
        example : cd /windows/fonts .
        3. In /windows/fonts , I wrote a command : ttmkfdir > fonts.dir .
        4. Then I wrote a command : chkfontpath --add /windows/fonts .
        5. BTW, for the 4th step...you could edit directly /etc/X11/fs/config and
        add your /windows/fonts in "catalogue" section .
        6. After that....you could do this : /etc/rc.d/init.d/xfs restart
        7. Ok, these steps work on my comp.
      • Chris LaFrance
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 7, 2001
          Here is a link to the tutorial that helped me get xfstt working:
          http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue28/ayers1.html

          Email me off the list if you'd like some step by step stuff or anything.