Re: [redhat] Re: Gnome working directory

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 2, 2001
      brpms@... wrote:
      > I have a new RH 7.1 install, and it works just the way you think it
      > should. How did you do your install?

      Hi,

      Simply enough. I just stuck the 1st CD in the drive, said which packages I
      wanted (I did a custom install), and let the installation program get on
      with it, changing to the 2nd CD when it was needed. I realy can't see what I
      did wrong or indeed *where* I did something wrong.

      I can live with it but it's annoying nonetheless!

      | G. Stewart -- gstewart@... |
      | Port de Pontille, FR-37500 CHINON, FRANCE. |
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 4, 2001
        Godwin Stewart wrote:
        > I'm using Gnome 1.2 on a RH7.1 box. When Gnome starts, its working directory
        > appears to be /var/spool - any terminal emulation program starts off in that
        > directory, and Netscape tries to save e-mail attachments to that directory.

        I nailed it in the end and I think I have a rational explanation.

        All the "CurrentDirectory" entries in my ~/.gnome/session file were set to
        /var/spool. I simply did a search & replace in emacs in order to set them to
        my home directory and everything went back to normal.

        Now for the question "how did this happen in the first place?". I may have
        been in /var/spool the *first* time I started X as that user. I remember
        setting up SendMail and checking the various queues *before* looking into X,
        and I could well have omitted going back to ~ before running startx.