Re: Gnome working directory

  • brpms@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 2, 2001
      --- In redhat@y..., Godwin Stewart <gstewart@s...> wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > I'm using Gnome 1.2 on a RH7.1 box. When Gnome starts, its working
      directory
      > appears to be /var/spool - any terminal emulation program starts
      off in that
      > directory, and Netscape tries to save e-mail attachments to that
      directory.

      > When I was using RH 6.0 and Gnome 1.0, the working directory always
      used to
      > be $HOME which is more logical - to me at least.
      >
      > Is there a setting I should change in a configuration file
      somewhere?

      > Note that I am not starting X from /var/spool but from ~ - I did
      check ;o)

      > TIA
      >
      > --
      > | G. Stewart -- gstewart@s... |
      > | Port de Pontille, FR-37500 CHINON, FRANCE. |

      I have a new RH 7.1 install, and it works just the way you think it
      should. How did you do your install?

      Paul Schwartz
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 2, 2001
        brpms@... wrote:
        > I have a new RH 7.1 install, and it works just the way you think it
        > should. How did you do your install?

        Hi,

        Simply enough. I just stuck the 1st CD in the drive, said which packages I
        wanted (I did a custom install), and let the installation program get on
        with it, changing to the 2nd CD when it was needed. I realy can't see what I
        did wrong or indeed *where* I did something wrong.

        I can live with it but it's annoying nonetheless!

        | G. Stewart -- gstewart@... |
        | Port de Pontille, FR-37500 CHINON, FRANCE. |
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 4, 2001
          Godwin Stewart wrote:
          > I'm using Gnome 1.2 on a RH7.1 box. When Gnome starts, its working directory
          > appears to be /var/spool - any terminal emulation program starts off in that
          > directory, and Netscape tries to save e-mail attachments to that directory.

          I nailed it in the end and I think I have a rational explanation.

          All the "CurrentDirectory" entries in my ~/.gnome/session file were set to
          /var/spool. I simply did a search & replace in emacs in order to set them to
          my home directory and everything went back to normal.

          Now for the question "how did this happen in the first place?". I may have
          been in /var/spool the *first* time I started X as that user. I remember
          setting up SendMail and checking the various queues *before* looking into X,
          and I could well have omitted going back to ~ before running startx.

          | G. Stewart -- gstewart@... |
          | Port de Pontille, FR-37500 CHINON, FRANCE. |