VFAT mount with 7.1

  • fbelloso@atcanet.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1 3:50 AM

      Health!

        I've mounted a windows partition with VFAT filesystem and I have found a problem:

        - With Red Hat 6.2 after creating a file "MYFILE" it appears as "MYFILE" doing an ls.
        - With Red Hat 7.1 after creating a file "MYFILE" it appears as "myfile" doing an ls.

        There are only a few cases when this error occurs:
        - The file must be a 8.3 name.
        - All letters must be uppercase

        We have tried with kernel 2.4.2 and 2.4.4 but we think is a problem with vfat.o

        We have problems with CVS about this issue.

        Anyone can tell us how to avoid this problem?.

        Thanks in advance and sorry my english.
    • Glenn Barnaby
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 1 7:48 AM
        Hello guys,

        I have a system that has a corrupted MBR. Can someone
        please guide me and tell me what utility I should use
        to restore the MBR.

        The system is a Packard-Bell pentium 133.

        Thanks for your help.

        GB

        http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
      • Emilio Gerardo Milian
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 1 8:26 AM
          Boot from a Win98 boot floppy, then type command "fdisk /mbr" without
          the quotes.
          this will reset the mbr to original status.
          Then just reboot as normal.

          Emilio

          Glenn Barnaby wrote:

          > Hello guys,
          >
          > I have a system that has a corrupted MBR. Can someone
          > please guide me and tell me what utility I should use
          > to restore the MBR.
          >
          > The system is a Packard-Bell pentium 133.
          >
          > Thanks for your help.
          >
          > GB

        • Chris
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 1 3:38 PM
            >Boot from a Win98 boot floppy, then type command "fdisk /mbr" without
            >the quotes.
            >this will reset the mbr to original status.
            >Then just reboot as normal.

            That will work, but hope you have a linux boot disk handy because you won't
            be able to reboot back into linux after doing this. It resets the MBR to
            windows, not to the current o/s.

            To do it from linux? Don't know, I just wanted to warn you about doing the
            above! Maybe there's a lilo switch or command, not sure.

            -----------------
            Chris Smith
            http://www.squiz.net/
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 1 6:22 PM
              on 08:38 2001/08/02 +1000, Chris wrote

              >To do it from linux? Don't know, I just wanted to warn you about doing the
              >above! Maybe there's a lilo switch or command, not sure.

              I believe RH 7.1 has a rescue option when you boot, so that you can get
              your MBR back. Haven't tried it yet, however.

              That is, a rescue option if you boot from CD--sorry, better make that clear. :)
              Scott
            • ashwin khandare
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 2 1:01 AM
                I had also faced similar problem and in order to boot from linux.
                i used the rescue disk and at the boot prompt, type
                boot : linux root=/dev/hda6 ---> the partition on which linux is installed.
                And once the system boots up , run /sbin/lilo to make it dual boot again
                > >Boot from a Win98 boot floppy, then type command "fdisk /mbr" without
                > >the quotes.
                > >this will reset the mbr to original status.
                > >Then just reboot as normal.
                >
                > That will work, but hope you have a linux boot disk handy because you
                won't
                > be able to reboot back into linux after doing this. It resets the MBR to
                > windows, not to the current o/s.
                >
                > To do it from linux? Don't know, I just wanted to warn you about doing the
                > above! Maybe there's a lilo switch or command, not sure.

              • Thomas J. Hruska
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 2 2:48 AM
                  At 01:31 PM 8/2/01 +0530, you wrote:
                  >I had also faced similar problem and in order to boot from linux.
                  >i used the rescue disk and at the boot prompt, type
                  >boot : linux root=/dev/hda6 ---> the partition on which linux is installed.
                  >And once the system boots up , run /sbin/lilo to make it dual boot again
                  >
                  >> >Boot from a Win98 boot floppy, then type command "fdisk /mbr" without
                  >> >the quotes.
                  >> >this will reset the mbr to original status.
                  >> >Then just reboot as normal.
                  >>
                  >> That will work, but hope you have a linux boot disk handy because you
                  >won't
                  >> be able to reboot back into linux after doing this. It resets the MBR to
                  >> windows, not to the current o/s.

                  Actually, once the MBR has been restored, you can point it at a /boot or /
                  partition by running fdisk and making the partition LILO is on the active
                  partition. fdisk /mbr restores the MBR and changes the active partition,
                  so it is a matter of running fdisk without the /mbr option and changing the
                  active partition again to restore the MBR back to its old state.

                  Also, once you get your MBR set up, you can prevent all future corruptions
                  by setting a switch in your BIOS setup which "freezes" the MBR (restores it
                  during boot if it changed - often called a "virus protection" switch).
                  Note that not all BIOSes have this option, but can be useful to use if you
                  do (of course, if you change OSes and/or partition info. often, setting the
                  switch will only cause you pain and suffering).

                  Hope this helps!

                  Thomas J. Hruska -- shinelight@...
                  http://www.shininglightpro.com/