RE:Switching from NT to RedHat 6.1

  • Cory
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 3, 2000
      >Question is:
      >what is the best way to implement Linux servers with support for
      Windows98 Workstations ?

      You can use samba as you mentioned. This is what I use at work.

      >What is the best solution to implement, and the best way to do it ?
      >I was considering Radius, NAS and LDAP, but I am also not sure of their
      connectivity with Samba.

      I don't know of these apps connectivity with Samba, since Samba isn't
      100% NT compatible, yet. You can do Encrypted passwords using Samba and
      WinntWS or Win98, but not Win95

      >I am having problems, because I don't want to keep a NT server as a
      PDC.
      >Can Samba emulate a Windows NT PDC

      It will appear to the Win 98 as an NT box, to a point. Some NT
      functionality is still missing, namely being able to specify Win98
      shares permisiions using the NT SAM.