password

  • Amit Deshmukh
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 1, 2001
      Hi friends,

      Please help me !!!!!

      I forgot my root password :(
      Is there any way to retrieve it without reinstalling
      linux.

      Thanks,

      Amit

      http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 1, 2001
        Amit Deshmukh wrote:

        > I forgot my root password :(

        How careless!! ;o)

        > Is there any way to retrieve it without reinstalling
        > linux.

        Yes, there is. Well, nearly. You won't retrieve your old password but you'll
        be able to define a new one.

        The procedure I have is for Red Hat distros - I presume other distros have a
        similar method, then again you're presumably using Red Hat otherwise you
        wouldn't be posting in this group.

        You'll need a boot diskette and the rescue diskette. You did make them when
        you installed Linux, didn't you?... If not, you'll find "boot.img" and
        "rescue.img" in the "images" directory of your Red Hat CD-ROM, and you can
        create the diskettes with the Linux "dd" command, or with "rawrite.exe"
        which you'll find in the "dosutils" directory of the Red Hat CD-ROM.

        Boot off the boot diskette and type rescue at the prompt. You'll be asked
        for the rescue diskette.

        It'll grind for a few seconds while loading a minimal, mono-user system,
        after which you can mount the root partition of your hard disk at
        /mnt/rootpart (use fdisk -l to show what partitions are available).

        Once that's done, edit your password file:

        # vi /mnt/rootpart/etc/passwd

        The first line will look something like this:

        root:F.h5fh/fj4:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash

        Use the "x" key to remove everything between the first "root:" and the
        ":0:0" so that the line now looks like this:

        root::root:/root:/bin/bash

        Save the modified file, quit vi and type:

        # cat /mnt/rootpart/etc/passwd

        ...in order to make sure the changes have been taken into account.

        Unmount the root partition and reboot the machine (off the hard disk). You
        can now log in as root *without* a password. Use "passwd" to define a new
        one which, hopefully, you won't forget!

        | G. Stewart -- gstewart@... |
        | Port de Pontille, FR-37500 CHINON, FRANCE. |
      • Skylinux
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 1, 2001
          reboot your computer, @ the lilo prompt type "linux single" this boots
          Linux into single mode. Once it's done change your password and reboot.
          Unless you change lilo to ask for a special "single" password - if so a
          root disk might help. Anyway - try the "linux single" first.

          Skylinux

          On Sun, 1 Jul 2001 01:33:08 -0700 (PDT), Amit Deshmukh
          <wisebrain33@...> wrote:
          >Hi friends,
          >
          >Please help me !!!!!
          >
          >I forgot my root password :(
          >Is there any way to retrieve it without reinstalling
          >linux.
          >
          >Thanks,
          >
          >Amit

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          Skylinux
          A FALSE sense of security is worse than being unsure.
          (by Steve Gibson)
        • Emilio Gerardo Milian
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 3, 2001
            If you forget the root password at the login prompt
            reboot computer, at the linux prompt type: linux single (enter)
            when you get to the prompt line type: passwd (enter)
            it will prompt you for the new password (type it in, press enter)
            it will prompt you a second time for the new password to confirm, (type
            it in, press enter)
            you will get the msg that it was accepted.
            shutdown, and reboot.
            Your new password will be activated.

            Emilio

          • DreemWizard@aol.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 3, 2001
              I thought that you will be asked for the original password..am I wrong??

              Andrew
            • Jacques
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 3, 2001
                Why would someone set up a password if it is so easy to create a new password?

                  --
                  Best Regards,

                  Keith
                • aaron
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 4, 2001
                    Previously, Jacques typed into the ether:

                    > Why would someone set up a password if it is so easy to create a new
                    > password?

                    Changing the root password is a trivial operation *only* when you have
                    physical access to the main administrative system. In a secure
                    networked environment you can greatly limit the physical access to
                    bootable components of all client systems through the use of things
                    like bios passwords and case locks (for desktops) or by access being
                    handled through traditional "dumb" terminals.

                    In all secure cases, the administrative system would only be accessable
                    to authorized personnel and would be protected, as much as possible, by
                    traditional, physical security measures to prevent tampering or
                    vandalism.

                    If security is an issue for your personal workstation, you can employ
                    the similar levels of physical security and desktop "boot" lockout.

                    Just remember that no level of security measures can be completely
                    guaranteed, so any sense of security is generally an illusion. :-)

                    peace
                    (after justice)
                    aaron
                  • Jacques
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 12, 2001
                      Thanks to all for the links, but I have another questions.

                      Does anybody know where I can by a decent Tux t-shirt?

                      Thanks in advance
                      Jacques
                    • Mary E. Mulderrig
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 13, 2001
                        Hi:

                        Try copyleft.net
                        or thinkgeek.com    or  nerdgear.com

                        All the best,

                        Mary

                        Jacques wrote:

                        Thanks to all for the links, but I have another questions.

                        Does anybody know where I can by a decent Tux t-shirt?

                        Thanks in advance
                        Jacques

                        To unsubscribe from this mailing list, simply send
                        a blank email to redhat-unsubscribe@egroups.com.
                        Alterntaively, you can unsubscribe yourself at
                        http://www.egroups.com/.

                      • giusz
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 7, 2002
                          i am using RH 7.2
                          the password's field in my /etc/passwd shows "x"
                          the password's field in my /etc/shadow shows "scrambledEggs"

                          Q: is there a way for the root to somehow/somewhere see the actual
                          password of any given user or his/her own?

                          thanx
                          Message 12 of 12 , Mar 7, 2002
                            On 16:25 07 Mar 2002, giusz <giusz@...> wrote:
                            | i am using RH 7.2
                            | the password's field in my /etc/passwd shows "x"
                            | the password's field in my /etc/shadow shows "scrambledEggs"
                            | Q: is there a way for the root to somehow/somewhere see the actual
                            | password of any given user or his/her own?

                            No, because the "real password" is not stored. Instead, a one way hash
                            of the password is stored. At login time the same has is computed for
                            what the user types as the password. If the hashes match, the user
                            it let in. Because this is a one way hash, you can't go directly from
                            hash->password, only from password->hash. This is a security feature.
                            --
                            Cameron Simpson, DoD#743 cs@... http://www.zip.com.au/~cs/

                            "What the hell are we supposed to use, man -- harsh language?"
                            "Flame units only." - _Aliens_