RE: [redhat] Partioning for Red Hat 7.1

  • Michael Klinteberg
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 6, 2001
      It all depends on how much diskspace you have.

      *************EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
      |PPPPPPPPPPP|LLLLLLLLLLLL|LLLLLLLLLLLL|LLLLLLLLLLL|
      |C:(FAT)20MB|D:(FAT32)2GB|E:(FAT)xSize|Empty_space|
      |PPPPPPPPPPP|LLLLLLLLLLLL|LLLLLLLLLLLL|LLLLLLLLLLL|
      *************EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

      1. Create a single Primary partion using Fdisk (or Partion
      Magic) with
      20-200 mb. This will be your boot partion.
      2. Create an Extended partion for the rest of your harddrive.
      3. Create Logical partion 2GB-4GB. This is where you install
      Windows 98.
      4. Create a Logical partion for your documents that you will
      share
      between Windows and Linux.
      5. Install Windows 98
      6. Install Linux. During install select "install LILO in MBR"

      I hope that my ASCII picture of your harddrive is too confusing.

      Of course there are other ways to config your system for dual
      boot,
      anyway this is my idea.

      /Klintan

      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 6, 2001
        Oops
        I forgot a word I a sentence. The word NOT is missing.

        I hope that my ASCII picture of your harddrive is NOT too
        confusing.

        >I hope that my ASCII picture of your harddrive is too
        confusing.

        /Klintan
      • William Bradley
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 6, 2001
          On 7 Jun 01, at 1:21, Michael Klinteberg wrote:

          > It all depends on how much diskspace you have.

          Thank you for this. It will be a couple of days until I can get at the
          installing.

          Bill.

          William Bradley,
          Leaflets of Faith
          http://www.leaflets.on.ca
          We invite you to take a look at our email list:
          http://www.egroups.com/group/leafletsoffaith
        • Keith
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 11, 2001
            --- In redhat@y..., "William Bradley" <bradleyw@m...> wrote:
            > Would some kind person explain to me, in very simple terms, how
            > to partition my disk so that when I install Red Hat 7.1 I can have
            > the system in one part and my own files in another. I have the
            > latest Partition Magic it is just that I am unsure how to set up
            the
            > linux portion to be like I have mentioned above. It will be a dual
            boot
            > system with Windows 98.
            >
            > Thanks for your help,
            >
            > Bill.

            When you run the installation program you set up mount points. There
            is "/" which is your root directory. If you are going to have user
            accounts then you should set up a seperate mount point for /home . If
            you are solely going to use the root account then set up a separate
            partition for /root .

            Lets say you are using the Second (Slave) hard drive on your system
            to install linux:
            Hard Drive Mount Point Size
            hdb1 / 2GB
            hdb5 /root 20 mb
            hdb6 /home 100 mb
            hdb7 swap space 128 mb

            You can make any partition any size you want, but remember that /usr
            directory is always the largest in Linux. Make sure that you have at
            least 2 GB for a full install. You can make the other directories
            of /root or /home any size you want depending on how much space you
            need.

            Here are a list of directories that Linux defaults to:
            / Root
            /bin Basic binary files for linux go here
            /boot Your kernal directory
            /etc Scripts, protocols and other setup/startup information
            /home User accounts go here
            /mnt This is used to place mounts to other hardware such as
            HD,CD-rom,floppies
            /opt Used only for the KDE GUI if you install it.(X-window)
            /root The root user account.
            /sbin More binaries go here.
            /usr Binaries, documents, manual pages and X-window go here.
            /var mail & news spools, logs and other files.

            I think that about covers them all, but I'm not on Linux right now
            so I can't check it.

            Don't be afraid to install linux and check it out and reinstall it
            to your needs. Just don't download files or make other changes until
            you are satisfied with your initial set up. I call this trash can
            install of linux, trash the install until you get it right. ;)
            I have never set up Linux using partition magic I just use the
            program that comes with the distribution. If you are using a single
            hard drive, you should look into getting a second HD for Linux. I
            purchased a four gig HDD off of eBay for $5.00 from someone with a
            good reputation.

            Keith
          • William Bradley
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 12, 2001
              On 12 Jun 01, at 1:49, Keith wrote:

              > --- In redhat@y..., "William Bradley" <bradleyw@m...> wrote:
              > > Would some kind person explain to me, in very simple terms, how to
              > > partition my disk so that when I install Red Hat 7.1 I can have the
              > > system in one part and my own files in another. I have the latest
              > > Partition Magic it is just that I am unsure how to set up

              > When you run the installation program you set up mount points. There
              > is "/" which is your root directory. If you are going to have user
              > accounts then you should set up a seperate mount point for /home . If
              > you are solely going to use the root account then set up a separate
              > partition for /root .

              Thank you Keith, your response was most helpful. I installed Red
              Hat 7.1 but in a very basic manner. The 7.1 installs very easily, on
              my machine anyway. So now I will have another go at it, re-
              installing is fairly easy.

              I have another machine -- Pentium 1 -- with two hard drives and
              when I get things settled, I will set one drive up for Windows and
              the other for Red Hat. Getting another hard drive for my other
              machine is something I had not really thought about but it is not a
              bad idea.

              All the best,

              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 18, 2001
                Recently I upgraded to Red Hat 7.1 and it is fine. I default to the
                KDE desktop and it loads fine. The only problem is that it keeps
                writing an extra CDROM to the fstab file. I delete the icon, remove
                the extra from the fstab but the next time I load, it is back again.
                So something else is afoot somewhere. Can anyone throw some
                light on this for me please.

                Thank you,

                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 19, 2001
                  Don't know what's really going on here. But here is my idea.
                  Disable linuxconf hooks if you have it installed. As a root user
                  type
                  # ntsysv
                  deselect linuxconf
                  # vi /etc/fstab (or what ever your fav. editor is)
                  remove the extra line for the cdrom.

                  /Klintan

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 19, 2001
                    On 19 Jun 01, at 18:20, Michael Klinteberg wrote:

                    > Don't know what's really going on here. But here is my idea.
                    > Disable linuxconf hooks if you have it installed. As a root user
                    > type
                    > # ntsysv
                    > deselect linuxconf
                    > # vi /etc/fstab (or what ever your fav. editor is)
                    > remove the extra line for the cdrom.

                    Thanks for this, I will give it a try.