Partioning for Red Hat 7.1

  • William Bradley
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 6, 2001
      Would some kind person explain to me, in very simple terms, how
      to partition my disk so that when I install Red Hat 7.1 I can have
      the system in one part and my own files in another. I have the
      latest Partition Magic it is just that I am unsure how to set up the
      linux portion to be like I have mentioned above. It will be a dual boot
      system with Windows 98.

      Thanks for your help,

      Bill.

      William Bradley,
      Leaflets of Faith
      http://www.leaflets.on.ca
      We invite you to take a look at our email list:
      http://www.egroups.com/group/leafletsoffaith
    • Michael Klinteberg
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 6, 2001
        It all depends on how much diskspace you have.

        *************EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
        |PPPPPPPPPPP|LLLLLLLLLLLL|LLLLLLLLLLLL|LLLLLLLLLLL|
        |C:(FAT)20MB|D:(FAT32)2GB|E:(FAT)xSize|Empty_space|
        |PPPPPPPPPPP|LLLLLLLLLLLL|LLLLLLLLLLLL|LLLLLLLLLLL|
        *************EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

        1. Create a single Primary partion using Fdisk (or Partion
        Magic) with
        20-200 mb. This will be your boot partion.
        2. Create an Extended partion for the rest of your harddrive.
        3. Create Logical partion 2GB-4GB. This is where you install
        Windows 98.
        4. Create a Logical partion for your documents that you will
        share
        between Windows and Linux.
        5. Install Windows 98
        6. Install Linux. During install select "install LILO in MBR"

        I hope that my ASCII picture of your harddrive is too confusing.

        Of course there are other ways to config your system for dual
        boot,
        anyway this is my idea.

        /Klintan

        Would some kind person explain to me, in very simple terms, how
        to partition my disk so that when I install Red Hat 7.1 I can
        have
        the system in one part and my own files in another. I have the
        latest Partition Magic it is just that I am unsure how to set up
        the
        linux portion to be like I have mentioned above. It will be a
        dual boot
        system with Windows 98.

        Thanks for your help,

        Bill.

        William Bradley,
        Leaflets of Faith
        http://www.leaflets.on.ca
        We invite you to take a look at our email list:
        http://www.egroups.com/group/leafletsoffaith

        To unsubscribe from this mailing list, simply send
        a blank email to redhat-unsubscribe@egroups.com.
        Alterntaively, you can unsubscribe yourself at
        http://www.egroups.com/.

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • Michael Klinteberg
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 6, 2001
          Oops
          I forgot a word I a sentence. The word NOT is missing.

          I hope that my ASCII picture of your harddrive is NOT too
          confusing.

          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 6, 2001
            On 7 Jun 01, at 1:21, Michael Klinteberg wrote:

            > It all depends on how much diskspace you have.

            Thank you for this. It will be a couple of days until I can get at the
            installing.

            Bill.

            William Bradley,
            Leaflets of Faith
            http://www.leaflets.on.ca
            We invite you to take a look at our email list:
            http://www.egroups.com/group/leafletsoffaith
          • Keith
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 11, 2001
              --- In redhat@y..., "William Bradley" <bradleyw@m...> wrote:
              > Would some kind person explain to me, in very simple terms, how
              > to partition my disk so that when I install Red Hat 7.1 I can have
              > the system in one part and my own files in another. I have the
              > latest Partition Magic it is just that I am unsure how to set up
              the
              > linux portion to be like I have mentioned above. It will be a dual
              boot
              > system with Windows 98.
              >
              > Thanks for your help,
              >
              > Bill.

              When you run the installation program you set up mount points. There
              is "/" which is your root directory. If you are going to have user
              accounts then you should set up a seperate mount point for /home . If
              you are solely going to use the root account then set up a separate
              partition for /root .

              Lets say you are using the Second (Slave) hard drive on your system
              to install linux:
              Hard Drive Mount Point Size
              hdb1 / 2GB
              hdb5 /root 20 mb
              hdb6 /home 100 mb
              hdb7 swap space 128 mb

              You can make any partition any size you want, but remember that /usr
              directory is always the largest in Linux. Make sure that you have at
              least 2 GB for a full install. You can make the other directories
              of /root or /home any size you want depending on how much space you
              need.

              Here are a list of directories that Linux defaults to:
              / Root
              /bin Basic binary files for linux go here
              /boot Your kernal directory
              /etc Scripts, protocols and other setup/startup information
              /home User accounts go here
              /mnt This is used to place mounts to other hardware such as
              HD,CD-rom,floppies
              /opt Used only for the KDE GUI if you install it.(X-window)
              /root The root user account.
              /sbin More binaries go here.
              /usr Binaries, documents, manual pages and X-window go here.
              /var mail & news spools, logs and other files.

              I think that about covers them all, but I'm not on Linux right now
              so I can't check it.

              Don't be afraid to install linux and check it out and reinstall it
              to your needs. Just don't download files or make other changes until
              you are satisfied with your initial set up. I call this trash can
              install of linux, trash the install until you get it right. ;)
              I have never set up Linux using partition magic I just use the
              program that comes with the distribution. If you are using a single
              hard drive, you should look into getting a second HD for Linux. I
              purchased a four gig HDD off of eBay for $5.00 from someone with a
              good reputation.

              Keith
            • William Bradley
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 12, 2001
                On 12 Jun 01, at 1:49, Keith wrote:

                > --- In redhat@y..., "William Bradley" <bradleyw@m...> wrote:
                > > Would some kind person explain to me, in very simple terms, how to
                > > partition my disk so that when I install Red Hat 7.1 I can have the
                > > system in one part and my own files in another. I have the latest
                > > Partition Magic it is just that I am unsure how to set up

                > When you run the installation program you set up mount points. There
                > is "/" which is your root directory. If you are going to have user
                > accounts then you should set up a seperate mount point for /home . If
                > you are solely going to use the root account then set up a separate
                > partition for /root .

                Thank you Keith, your response was most helpful. I installed Red
                Hat 7.1 but in a very basic manner. The 7.1 installs very easily, on
                my machine anyway. So now I will have another go at it, re-
                installing is fairly easy.

                I have another machine -- Pentium 1 -- with two hard drives and
                when I get things settled, I will set one drive up for Windows and
                the other for Red Hat. Getting another hard drive for my other
                machine is something I had not really thought about but it is not a
                bad idea.

                All the best,

                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 18, 2001
                  Recently I upgraded to Red Hat 7.1 and it is fine. I default to the
                  KDE desktop and it loads fine. The only problem is that it keeps
                  writing an extra CDROM to the fstab file. I delete the icon, remove
                  the extra from the fstab but the next time I load, it is back again.
                  So something else is afoot somewhere. Can anyone throw some
                  light on this for me please.

                  Thank you,

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 19, 2001
                    Don't know what's really going on here. But here is my idea.
                    Disable linuxconf hooks if you have it installed. As a root user
                    type
                    # ntsysv
                    deselect linuxconf
                    # vi /etc/fstab (or what ever your fav. editor is)
                    remove the extra line for the cdrom.

                    /Klintan

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 19, 2001
                      On 19 Jun 01, at 18:20, Michael Klinteberg wrote:

                      > Don't know what's really going on here. But here is my idea.
                      > Disable linuxconf hooks if you have it installed. As a root user
                      > type
                      > # ntsysv
                      > deselect linuxconf
                      > # vi /etc/fstab (or what ever your fav. editor is)
                      > remove the extra line for the cdrom.

                      Thanks for this, I will give it a try.