mail client

  • Dan
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 24, 2013
      Hey,

      I have a yahoo account with tens of thousands of emails...I dont want to lose all of them, I do not want to screen through tens of thousands of emails.
      I am using thunderbird and it fills up at 80k emails, and sometimes it goes back to the mail server and downloads emails a second or third time.

      Does anyone know of a decent client that has a higher capacity.
      Or a way I can manage thunderbird, so I can save the mail files  off, then start downloading emails from a specific date (not prior) such as 1/1/2013 as the initialization date.

      I prefer to leave the emails on the yahoo mail server.

      Thanks

      Dan
      949 813 4271

    • James Freer
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 25, 2013
        I use Alpine which is the only email client that's capable of handling
        large amounts of email. A text email client isn't so cosmetic but it
        is functional - a university/corporate client that has had years of
        proven use. Mutt is an alternative but v.configurable which i'm not
        interested in. By comparison i've found evolution and T-bird poor.

        james

        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 25, 2013
          On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 10:03:13AM +0000, James Freer wrote:
          > I use Alpine which is the only email client that's capable of handling
          > large amounts of email. A text email client isn't so cosmetic but it
          > is functional - a university/corporate client that has had years of
          > proven use. Mutt is an alternative but v.configurable which i'm not
          > interested in. By comparison i've found evolution and T-bird poor.

          I'm going to agree. By the way James, please try to not top post, though
          Dan, one of the mods, always does. See

          http://linux.sgms-centre.com/misc/netiquette.php

          My own preference is for mutt, with which I can do just about everything.
          I'm pretty sure it could read your thunderbird stuff as well, though I
          haven't tried that. Hrrm, I should test that out, but anyway, mutt can do
          maildir, which is what I think Thunderbird uses and can read mail on our
          mail server, which can also be read by Thunderbird.

          I have my own page on it,
          http://home.roadrunner.com/~computertaijutsu/mutt.html

          Giles: Nothing left but skin and cartilage.
          Xander: In other words, this was no boating accident.
        • Jim Thisdale
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 25, 2013
            80k / day is a lot of email....

            but thunderbird should be able to handle it.

            Have you tried making good use of the mail filters built in. You can very easily create filters to
            sort mail into folders by various criteria.

            Thunderbird should NOT be downloading the same email repeatedly, you must have a setting that needs
            changing.

            Also, with Thunderbird you can upload old (previously sent/received) email to a gmail account either
            pop or imap, I've used this to consolidate megabytes of old email from various machines (win & linux
            & mac) to one account.

            -Jim-

            -Jim- N1JMM, KB1YPL_B
            http://n1jmm.no-ip.org

            On 3/24/13 9:13 PM, Dan wrote:
            > Hey,
            >
            > I have a yahoo account with tens of thousands of emails...I dont want to lose all of them, I do not want to screen through tens of thousands of emails.
            > I am using thunderbird and it fills up at 80k emails, and sometimes it goes back to the mail server and downloads emails a second or third time.
            >
            > Does anyone know of a decent client that has a higher capacity.
            > Or a way I can manage thunderbird, so I can save the mail files off, then start downloading emails from a specific date (not prior) such as 1/1/2013 as the initialization date.
            >
            > I prefer to leave the emails on the yahoo mail server.
            >
            > Thanks
            >

            > Dan
            > 949 813 4271

          • Dan
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 25, 2013

              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 25, 2013
                On 25Mar2013 08:26, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:
                | My own preference is for mutt, with which I can do just about everything.
                | I'm pretty sure it could read your thunderbird stuff as well, though I
                | haven't tried that. Hrrm, I should test that out, but anyway, mutt can do
                | maildir, which is what I think Thunderbird uses and can read mail on our
                | mail server, which can also be read by Thunderbird.

                I use mutt too.

                BTW, Thunderbird stored email in mbox files.
                Mutt will read and write those too, but you shouldn't have mutt and
                thunderbird accessing the same local files at the same time.

                If they're both accessing a remote server eg via IMAP you should be ok.
                --
                Cameron Simpson <cs@...>

                The best way to rob a bank is to own one. - Roberto Calvi
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 25, 2013
                  On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 08:44:53AM +1100, Cameron Simpson wrote:
                  > On 25Mar2013 08:26, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:

                  > | My own preference is for mutt, with which I can do just about everything.
                  > | I'm pretty sure it could read your thunderbird stuff as well, though I
                  > | haven't tried that. Hrrm, I should test that out, but anyway, mutt can do
                  > | maildir, which is what I think Thunderbird uses and can read mail on our
                  > | mail server, which can also be read by Thunderbird.
                  >
                  > I use mutt too.
                  >
                  > BTW, Thunderbird stored email in mbox files.
                  > Mutt will read and write those too, but you shouldn't have mutt and
                  > thunderbird accessing the same local files at the same time.
                  >
                  > If they're both accessing a remote server eg via IMAP you should be ok.

                  The mail server we use, CommuniGate, is very robust as far as that goes,
                  multiple access. I've never checked it too intensively though.

                  I thought TBird used mdir, not mbox. I know on our IMAP server, the files
                  are stored as maildir, and TBird can access it without issues.

                  Xander: Oh, hey, do you want to come to our place for
                  dinner? Mom's making her famous phone call to the Chinese place.
                  Willow: Xander, do you guys even have a stove?
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 25, 2013
                    On 25Mar2013 17:58, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:
                    | I thought TBird used mdir, not mbox. I know on our IMAP server, the files
                    | are stored as maildir, and TBird can access it without issues.

                    Yes, but then TBird is using IMAP and doesn't know anything about
                    the local storage on the IMAP server itself. If you save some
                    messages to a local folder and then examine it you'll find the local
                    file is an mbox.
                    --
                    Cameron Simpson <cs@...>

                    I bested him in an Open Season of scouring-people's-postings-looking-for-
                    spelling-errors. - kevin@... (Kevin Darcy)
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 25, 2013
                      On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 12:23:57PM +1100, Cameron Simpson wrote:
                      > On 25Mar2013 17:58, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:
                      > | I thought TBird used mdir, not mbox. I know on our IMAP server, the files
                      > | are stored as maildir, and TBird can access it without issues.
                      >
                      > Yes, but then TBird is using IMAP and doesn't know anything about
                      > the local storage on the IMAP server itself. If you save some
                      > messages to a local folder and then examine it you'll find the local
                      > file is an mbox.

                      Once you say it, it becomes obvious. Sigh, need sleep.

                    • thad_floryan
                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 25, 2013
                        --- In redhat@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:

                        > On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 12:23:57PM +1100, Cameron Simpson wrote:
                        > > On 25Mar2013 17:58, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:
                        > > | I thought TBird used mdir, not mbox. I know on our IMAP
                        > > | server, the files are stored as maildir, and TBird can access
                        > > | it without issues.
                        > >
                        > > Yes, but then TBird is using IMAP and doesn't know anything about
                        > > the local storage on the IMAP server itself. If you save some
                        > > messages to a local folder and then examine it you'll find the
                        > > local file is an mbox.
                        >
                        > Once you say it, it becomes obvious. Sigh, need sleep.

                        I have well over 100K emails on my mail server running qmail, dovecot,
                        spamassassin, etc. with no problems whatsoever. And this is with
                        Thunderbird 2.0.0.24 because I disliked the Thunderbird changes with
                        tabs and other crap beginning with Tbird 3.*

                        Issues may arise depending on what IMAP server one is using; most are
                        pure junk.

                        There are ONLY THREE (3) COMPLIANT IMAP SERVERS on the planet as can
                        be seen here:

                        http://imapwiki.org/ImapTest/ServerStatus

                        I use Dovecot even though a long-time friend, Mark Crispin, is the
                        guy who wrote the IMAP RFCs and is also the author of Panda IMAP:

                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Crispin

                        Thad
                      • thad_floryan
                        Message 11 of 11 , Mar 25, 2013
                          --- In redhat@yahoogroups.com, Dan <hyattdj@...> wrote:
                          > [...]
                          > I have a yahoo account with tens of thousands of emails...I dont want
                          > to lose all of them, I do not want to screen through tens of
                          > thousands of emails.
                          > [...]

                          Then you probably want to move those emails to someplace else before
                          your Yahoo emails are all deleted by a criminal as will happen with
                          Yahoo email:

                          http://thenextweb.com/insider/2013/03/06/despite-its-efforts-to-fix-vulnerabilities-yahoos-mail-users-continue-reporting-hacking-incidents/

                          http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/01/how-yahoo-allowed-hackers-to-hijack-my-neighbors-e-mail-account/

                          Note the "borrowed" graphic at ARStechnica needs this correction:

                          In the above borrowed illustration, "bank.com" should read
                          "developer.yahoo.com", and add an earlier step 0 where the
                          attacker uploads their script there.

                          It's time to begin planning for when Yahoo goes belly-up which is very
                          likely this year.

                          Thad