Re: [redhat] home volume says 100% used 0 bytes left, but the amount of data doesn't match

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 28, 2013
      On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 01:41:51PM -0000, pghlinuxnoob wrote:
      > I'm fairly new to Linux and just recently rebuilt my Laptop with Centos. This morning, I start getting an alert that my home volume disk usage is at 100% with 0 bytes free. I run the disk analyzer and it shows it as 100% but when I look at the files, I'm probalby not at even 5%. My home volume is 228G and my data is probably around 15G.
      >
      > Are there hidden files or something? How do I go about cleaning up whatever is using the space?
      >
      > Thanks for your help.

      I've sometimes run into issues with a perl program called swatch, that
      monitors logs. Try running

      lsof |(sed 1q; grep deleted)

      In the case I mentioned, with swatch it was that several commands of "tail"
      were continuing to run.

      Even though that was a script specific issue, similar things can happen
      with other scripts or programs. If you have a lot of results from that,
      it's probably your problem.

      Does a reboot fix the issue? That's another hint that some
      process/program/whatever isn't closing properly.

      Cordelia: Do you know what he's going to do to me when he
      finds out I let his car get stolen? I mean, what are the chances that
      a vampire has full insurance with a low deductible?
    • thad_floryan
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 28, 2013
        --- In redhat@yahoogroups.com, "pghlinuxnoob" <jvanzin@...> wrote:

        > I'm fairly new to Linux and just recently rebuilt my Laptop with
        > Centos. This morning, I start getting an alert that my home volume
        > disk usage is at 100% with 0 bytes free. I run the disk analyzer and
        > it shows it as 100% but when I look at the files, I'm probalby not at
        > even 5%. My home volume is 228G and my data is probably around 15G.
        >
        > Are there hidden files or something? How do I go about cleaning up
        > whatever is using the space?

        What version of CentOS?

        cd to your home directory and report the output of the following:

        du -sk .

        df -k
      • Mrugesh Raval
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 28, 2013
          Try this

          lsof | grep /home
          OR
          lsof | grep del

          Find out proc writing to home and kill those procs

          You can also run

          du -sh /home/*

          And dig further which user has occupied the space and send them warn message to clean up