home volume says 100% used 0 bytes left, but the amount of data doesn't match

  • pghlinuxnoob
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 28, 2013
      I'm fairly new to Linux and just recently rebuilt my Laptop with Centos. This morning, I start getting an alert that my home volume disk usage is at 100% with 0 bytes free. I run the disk analyzer and it shows it as 100% but when I look at the files, I'm probalby not at even 5%. My home volume is 228G and my data is probably around 15G.

      Are there hidden files or something? How do I go about cleaning up whatever is using the space?

      Thanks for your help.
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 28, 2013
        On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 01:41:51PM -0000, pghlinuxnoob wrote:
        > I'm fairly new to Linux and just recently rebuilt my Laptop with Centos. This morning, I start getting an alert that my home volume disk usage is at 100% with 0 bytes free. I run the disk analyzer and it shows it as 100% but when I look at the files, I'm probalby not at even 5%. My home volume is 228G and my data is probably around 15G.
        >
        > Are there hidden files or something? How do I go about cleaning up whatever is using the space?
        >
        > Thanks for your help.

        I've sometimes run into issues with a perl program called swatch, that
        monitors logs. Try running

        lsof |(sed 1q; grep deleted)

        In the case I mentioned, with swatch it was that several commands of "tail"
        were continuing to run.

        Even though that was a script specific issue, similar things can happen
        with other scripts or programs. If you have a lot of results from that,
        it's probably your problem.

        Does a reboot fix the issue? That's another hint that some
        process/program/whatever isn't closing properly.

        Cordelia: Do you know what he's going to do to me when he
        finds out I let his car get stolen? I mean, what are the chances that
        a vampire has full insurance with a low deductible?
      • thad_floryan
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 28, 2013
          --- In redhat@yahoogroups.com, "pghlinuxnoob" <jvanzin@...> wrote:

          > I'm fairly new to Linux and just recently rebuilt my Laptop with
          > Centos. This morning, I start getting an alert that my home volume
          > disk usage is at 100% with 0 bytes free. I run the disk analyzer and
          > it shows it as 100% but when I look at the files, I'm probalby not at
          > even 5%. My home volume is 228G and my data is probably around 15G.
          >
          > Are there hidden files or something? How do I go about cleaning up
          > whatever is using the space?

          What version of CentOS?

          cd to your home directory and report the output of the following:

          du -sk .

          df -k
        • Mrugesh Raval
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 28, 2013
            Try this

            lsof | grep /home
            OR
            lsof | grep del

            Find out proc writing to home and kill those procs

            You can also run

            du -sh /home/*

            And dig further which user has occupied the space and send them warn message to clean up