Re: MODERATE -- n1jmm1@gmail.com posted to redhat

  • Dan
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 19, 2012
      Thanks Daniel

      I prefer top post, if I need a refresher I'll read down.

      I'm the only user, old laptop. I really don't want to have
      to re-install from scratch.

      What is the reason for the changing of the filesystems? Do you have way too much space on root partition

      posting a df -k or df -g, we really dont know what problem you are trying to fix.

      Again, /etc is a small filesystem that should not grow, leave that one be.

      /usr, if that is filling up, it is better to add a new partition
      /usr local, not move it to root partition.

      /tmp can fill up with files, and could have side effects if you start moving it around. A reboot should clear out /tmp, some of the files there are needed.

      /home, never put /home on root partition. Someone will start storing music there and really screw things up.

      SWAP is on it's own partition formatted in linux SWAP. /tmp
      is currently on its own partition.

      --------------------
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 19, 2012
        On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 06:40:29PM -0600, Dan wrote:
        > Thanks Daniel
        >
        > I prefer top post, if I need a refresher I'll read down.

        Please do not top post. Though we let it go with Dan, as he pretty much
        single handedly revived this list, generally, if you've top posted, it will
        sit in queue either until a moderator deletes it or till it expires.

        This is not to open a dialog about top posting. We've had it several
        times, view the archives if interested.
        I only make this post to point out that top posted replies will often not
        appear on the list as all the mods besides Dan will probably not approve
        them.

        Willow: On the other hand, maybe Rodney just stepped out
        for a smoke.
        Xander: For twenty-one hours?
        Willow: It's addictive, you know.