How to move/combine /usr /var /home to / partition ?

  • Jim Thisdale
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 19, 2012
      Fedora 14
      hp laptop
      small 80GB drive

      When I did this install years ago, I was advised to make separate
      partitions for things. Now I've run out of space on some of them.

      I'd like to move the data/functionality of the /var, /usr, /home
      partitions back to the / partition. Then I can delete those partitions
      and resize the / partition, thus gaining some useable space for now.

      Using gparted is not a problem.

      I need to know what I need to do so the existing fc14 knows that:

      /etc will be on say: sda1/etc instead of sda5
      /usr will be on say: sda1/usr instead of sda4
      /home will be on say: sda1/home instead of sda6
      /tmp will be on say: sda/tmp instead of sda3

      Those might not be the actual current assignments, but you get the idea.

      Thanks
      -Jim-
      Visit my Pi running ircddb, dvrptr, Apache2 web-server & other things:
      http://n1jmm.no-ip.org
      http://n1jmm.no-ip.org/index.php
    • Daniel
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 19, 2012
        Sorry for the top post this is going to be a long answer. The other moderators have tried to change me but I fail.

        First you back each of the partitions up (to a thumb drive), using tar is a good idea.
        First off, you home drive migth be the problem. If you are root, then just put /home on another partition or drive that has room.
        If you left way too much room on "/" then you might consider reinstalling.

        If NON UNIX guy tells you to put everything under home, he is IMO screwing you under. Some morons decided disk drives got bigger so we dont need other partitions anymore. Fill up root once and you will learn the fallacy of this thinking.

        But I would never put /home on / as users do really stupid things and fill up /
        /etc should NOT be giving you any problems. see if someone put a /gzip file in there. /etc does not really grow.
        /usr a better way is to make a /usr/local mountpoint and move the stuff to there.
        And do NOT mess with /tmp, your swap file unless you know what the F you are doing.

        you really should do this in single user mode, to prevent changes but wont happen if you are only user.

        You want to make sure you have a boot disk ready.
        I am assuming you are not using a volume manager

        copy /etc/fstab to /etc/fstab.old and to /root/fstab.orig
        comment out "#" the mountpoint from the fstab file /etc/fstab

        Tar up the partitions and put the tar files (one at a time) on the root partition,
        cd /; tar -cvf etc.tar /etc/
        then unmount the partition,
        umount /etc
        then untar the file to the former mountpoint.
        cp etc.tar /etc/
        tar -xvf etc.tar

        mount # see if /etc is mounted
        cd /etc # see if there is the stuff you expect to see.
        reboot
        if the system starts ok, go to the other filesystems

        I did this off the top of my head, so see if you can find a similar example on the web, and check my syntax, and make sure you have a backup disk.

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 19, 2012
          On 12/19/2012 4:53 PM, Jim Thisdale wrote:

          > Fedora 14
          > hp laptop
          > small 80GB drive
          >
          > When I did this install years ago, I was advised to make separate
          > partitions for things. Now I've run out of space on some of them.
          >
          > I'd like to move the data/functionality of the /var, /usr, /home
          > partitions back to the / partition. Then I can delete those partitions
          > and resize the / partition, thus gaining some useable space for now.

          This is more of a fun exercize, then something that must be done....
          As I mentioned, use df -k and tell us which filesystems you want to
          resize and why.
          you must have enough room on sda to hold the whole filesystem you want
          to move.

          again, taring up the filesystems one at a time, tar -cvf home.tar /home
          unmount the filesystem
          copy the /etc/fstab to a safe place /root/fstab.orig , edit /etc/fstab
          comment oout the mounted fs
          copy the tar file to the mount point (make sure you are untaring
          correctly so you dont muck it up)
          tar -xvf home.tar
          ls -l /home (look for files in the directory and subdirectories

          reboot and see if it worked correctly. Now you can recover the sd6 space

          I would not repeat this for /etc, unless you gave it 10gb and you need
          to recover it. This and /usr can break your os if you muck it up.