Re: [redhat] To the moderator

  • Thomas J. Hruska
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 6, 2012
      On 12/3/2012 11:32 PM, catsatararat wrote:
      > Good morning
      >
      > I suspect that I am not a good fit for this group as I am a total novice without any LINUX system experience, and I don't want to annoy by asking a whole lot of basic questions.
      >
      > I want to try to install in place of Windows on a home PC (3PCs networked actually). Can anyone recommend a group or forum where I can get help for an absolute beginner who knows NOTHING? I do not have access to any local LINUX support so I need to learn how to do this myself from scratch. Terrifying prospect as I have never dealt with OS before, but I want to try.
      >
      > Thanks for any help getting started
      >
      > Cheryl

      IMO, the Ubuntu distro is the most user-friendly Linux distro out there.
      It will let you take baby steps into the world of Linux.

      They have a Live CD (like a lot of distros - useful for just trying it
      out without installing it) but also have side-by-side installation - you
      can carve out part of an existing Windows partition and install it for
      real on hardware and will change the "bootloader", a technical term that
      decides which OS to start up, to let you easily switch between the OSes.
      Plus, Ubuntu tends to ship with enough drivers that there's a good
      chance all of your hardware will work without having to dig around too much.

      I recommend backing up your data before doing any major OS changes. :)

      Most other distros tend to have a bigger learning curve. I just put
      Ubuntu on a Win7 laptop a couple months ago and it was ridiculously
      simple - popped the disc in and walked away while it installed. Came
      back and it was done and works just fine.

      Come back to Fedora or CentOS when you've gotten your feet wet and are
      reasonably comfortable with the "scary" terminal that offers powerful
      functionality to do cool stuff you can't do with the GUI.

      --
      Thomas Hruska
      Shining Light Productions

      Home of BMP2AVI and Win32 OpenSSL.