Re: To the moderator

    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 5, 2012
      On 05Dec2012 21:30, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:
      | On Wed, Dec 05, 2012 at 04:56:31PM -0800, C.A. WAITES wrote:
      | > I have already invested in three books that were well reviewed
      | > and I have spent a couple of weeks trying to make sense of them to no
      | > avail.  I appreciate the encouragement, but until there is a forum
      | > where an absolute novice can go for really basic basics I fear LINUX
      | > may remain the province of those with a "certain level of knowledge"
      | > as I need to look up the terms you are using to me even in these few
      | > messages.  I will check out the newbie group recommended but . . . .
      |
      | I think that I'd probably recommend Ubuntu as a starting point.

      Me too (though based on anecdote rather than experience).

      You can fetch a DVDROM image here:

      http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

      | > I already had a laptop cleared of data/programs set aside to learn on,
      | > but I need to figure out even the physical steps to load an operating
      | > system.  I may go ahead with this one day, but for now it is on the
      | > backburner again.

      No, just do it one evening. Seriously, it is pretty easy and quick.

      The steps are as follows:

      fetch the Ubuntu install DVDROM image from the link above using your
      current computer and burn it to a DVD

      insert into the laptop DVDROM drive and reboot

      with luck the laptop will boot from the DVDROM and you can proceed
      to install

      There are full instructions here:

      http://www.ubuntu.com/download/help/install-desktop-latest

      It should take less than an hour one evening.
      Just take the default options for most questions.

      | Well, you can always, assuming the laptop is reasonably good, put on
      | VirtualBox and install a Linux system as a VirtualBox virtual machine. Then
      | you can delete and reinstall it at will without breaking anything else.

      Even simpler, Ubuntu probably runs as a "live DVD": it has a mode to
      boot and run Ubuntu without installing on the laptop.

      But if you have a laptop you can scrub (install on without worrying
      about preserving what was on it before), just do that ordinary install.
      You can always do it again with something else if you hate it.
      --
      Cameron Simpson <cs@...>
    • C.A. WAITES
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 6, 2012
        >________________________________

      • Thomas J. Hruska
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 6, 2012
          On 12/3/2012 11:32 PM, catsatararat wrote:
          > Good morning
          >
          > I suspect that I am not a good fit for this group as I am a total novice without any LINUX system experience, and I don't want to annoy by asking a whole lot of basic questions.
          >
          > I want to try to install in place of Windows on a home PC (3PCs networked actually). Can anyone recommend a group or forum where I can get help for an absolute beginner who knows NOTHING? I do not have access to any local LINUX support so I need to learn how to do this myself from scratch. Terrifying prospect as I have never dealt with OS before, but I want to try.
          >
          > Thanks for any help getting started
          >
          > Cheryl

          IMO, the Ubuntu distro is the most user-friendly Linux distro out there.
          It will let you take baby steps into the world of Linux.

          They have a Live CD (like a lot of distros - useful for just trying it
          out without installing it) but also have side-by-side installation - you
          can carve out part of an existing Windows partition and install it for
          real on hardware and will change the "bootloader", a technical term that
          decides which OS to start up, to let you easily switch between the OSes.
          Plus, Ubuntu tends to ship with enough drivers that there's a good
          chance all of your hardware will work without having to dig around too much.

          I recommend backing up your data before doing any major OS changes. :)

          Most other distros tend to have a bigger learning curve. I just put
          Ubuntu on a Win7 laptop a couple months ago and it was ridiculously
          simple - popped the disc in and walked away while it installed. Came
          back and it was done and works just fine.

          Come back to Fedora or CentOS when you've gotten your feet wet and are
          reasonably comfortable with the "scary" terminal that offers powerful
          functionality to do cool stuff you can't do with the GUI.

          --
          Thomas Hruska
          Shining Light Productions

          Home of BMP2AVI and Win32 OpenSSL.