Re: [redhat] To the moderator

    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 5, 2012
      On Wed, Dec 05, 2012 at 04:56:31PM -0800, C.A. WAITES wrote:
      > Thankyou so much to all who responded, but you could all be talking Sanskrit to me (and yes, I do understand the pun there!)

      To put on my moderator hat for a moment:

      Cheryl, please do try to follow proper posting style, that is, post in
      line, answering point A after point A, point B after point B. This list is
      a bit lax about it, as one of the mods <cough>Dan<cough> doesn't do it, but
      in general, many Linux lists will expect you to post properly.

      See
      http://linux.sgms-centre.com/misc/netiquette.php
      And
      http://howto-pages.org/posting_style

      (For example, the linux@yahoo groups.com will usually fix your post once,
      then just let the message sit in queue the next time.)

      At any rate, back to the subject. :)

      > I am not just a newbie to linux, but also to operating systems generally.  I was hoping for some advice on where I could get books to get me started, but this seems to imply that information may already be out dated by the time it is distributed.

      That is frequently the case. There are two, free, online books that I
      still recommend, the Getting Started section of the Linux Installation and
      Getting started guide--I think it was written in the late 90's, and the
      installation part is completely out of date, but the getting started part
      helps introduce you to the shell, and using Linux does often involve typing
      in commands.

      > I do not have any local groups I can got to.  LINUX is virtually unknown where I am.
      >

      > I have already invested in three books that were well reviewed and I have spent a couple of weeks trying to make sense of them to no avail.  I appreciate the encouragement, but until there is a forum where an absolute novice can go for really basic basics I fear LINUX may remain the province of those with a "certain level of knowledge" as I need to look up the terms you are using to me even in these few messages.  I will check out the newbie group recommended but . . . .

      I think that I'd probably recommend Ubuntu as a starting point. One reason
      for this is that as it does call itself Linux for human beings, it places
      stronge emphasis on being usable by the newcomer. Their forums at
      http://ubuntuforums.org/ are very helpful for beginners, either answering
      very naive questions or giving you links to find the answers.

      > I already had a laptop cleared of data/programs set aside to learn on, but I need to figure out even the physical steps to load an operating system.  I may go ahead with this one day, but for now it is on the backburner again.

      Well, you can always, assuming the laptop is reasonably good, put on
      VirtualBox and install a Linux system as a VirtualBox virtual machine. Then
      you can delete and reinstall it at will without breaking anything else.

      Cordelia: Buffy, these men are rich, and I am not being
      shallow. Think of all the
      poor people I could help with all my money.
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 5, 2012
        On 05Dec2012 21:30, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:
        | On Wed, Dec 05, 2012 at 04:56:31PM -0800, C.A. WAITES wrote:
        | > I have already invested in three books that were well reviewed
        | > and I have spent a couple of weeks trying to make sense of them to no
        | > avail.  I appreciate the encouragement, but until there is a forum
        | > where an absolute novice can go for really basic basics I fear LINUX
        | > may remain the province of those with a "certain level of knowledge"
        | > as I need to look up the terms you are using to me even in these few
        | > messages.  I will check out the newbie group recommended but . . . .
        |
        | I think that I'd probably recommend Ubuntu as a starting point.

        Me too (though based on anecdote rather than experience).

        You can fetch a DVDROM image here:

        http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

        | > I already had a laptop cleared of data/programs set aside to learn on,
        | > but I need to figure out even the physical steps to load an operating
        | > system.  I may go ahead with this one day, but for now it is on the
        | > backburner again.

        No, just do it one evening. Seriously, it is pretty easy and quick.

        The steps are as follows:

        fetch the Ubuntu install DVDROM image from the link above using your
        current computer and burn it to a DVD

        insert into the laptop DVDROM drive and reboot

        with luck the laptop will boot from the DVDROM and you can proceed
        to install

        There are full instructions here:

        http://www.ubuntu.com/download/help/install-desktop-latest

        It should take less than an hour one evening.
        Just take the default options for most questions.

        | Well, you can always, assuming the laptop is reasonably good, put on
        | VirtualBox and install a Linux system as a VirtualBox virtual machine. Then
        | you can delete and reinstall it at will without breaking anything else.

        Even simpler, Ubuntu probably runs as a "live DVD": it has a mode to
        boot and run Ubuntu without installing on the laptop.

        But if you have a laptop you can scrub (install on without worrying
        about preserving what was on it before), just do that ordinary install.
        You can always do it again with something else if you hate it.
        --
        Cameron Simpson <cs@...>
      • C.A. WAITES
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 6, 2012
          >________________________________

        • Thomas J. Hruska
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 6, 2012
            On 12/3/2012 11:32 PM, catsatararat wrote:
            > Good morning
            >
            > I suspect that I am not a good fit for this group as I am a total novice without any LINUX system experience, and I don't want to annoy by asking a whole lot of basic questions.
            >
            > I want to try to install in place of Windows on a home PC (3PCs networked actually). Can anyone recommend a group or forum where I can get help for an absolute beginner who knows NOTHING? I do not have access to any local LINUX support so I need to learn how to do this myself from scratch. Terrifying prospect as I have never dealt with OS before, but I want to try.
            >
            > Thanks for any help getting started
            >
            > Cheryl

            IMO, the Ubuntu distro is the most user-friendly Linux distro out there.
            It will let you take baby steps into the world of Linux.

            They have a Live CD (like a lot of distros - useful for just trying it
            out without installing it) but also have side-by-side installation - you
            can carve out part of an existing Windows partition and install it for
            real on hardware and will change the "bootloader", a technical term that
            decides which OS to start up, to let you easily switch between the OSes.
            Plus, Ubuntu tends to ship with enough drivers that there's a good
            chance all of your hardware will work without having to dig around too much.

            I recommend backing up your data before doing any major OS changes. :)

            Most other distros tend to have a bigger learning curve. I just put
            Ubuntu on a Win7 laptop a couple months ago and it was ridiculously
            simple - popped the disc in and walked away while it installed. Came
            back and it was done and works just fine.

            Come back to Fedora or CentOS when you've gotten your feet wet and are
            reasonably comfortable with the "scary" terminal that offers powerful
            functionality to do cool stuff you can't do with the GUI.

            --
            Thomas Hruska
            Shining Light Productions

            Home of BMP2AVI and Win32 OpenSSL.