To the moderator

  • catsatararat
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 3, 2012
      Good morning

      I suspect that I am not a good fit for this group as I am a total novice without any LINUX system experience, and I don't want to annoy by asking a whole lot of basic questions.

      I want to try to install in place of Windows on a home PC (3PCs networked actually). Can anyone recommend a group or forum where I can get help for an absolute beginner who knows NOTHING? I do not have access to any local LINUX support so I need to learn how to do this myself from scratch. Terrifying prospect as I have never dealt with OS before, but I want to try.

      Thanks for any help getting started

      Cheryl
    • Dan
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 4, 2012
        First of all

        Fedora is a good choice for a beginner as it is free from subscription
        costs.

        There is lots of good documentation online, and some good books, first
        you get to find out what you want to do.

        I suggest starting with installing Fedora on one of your PCs, by
        downloading the ISO image, and start installing.

        You can use your windows box and google to look for answers to your
        questions.

        On 12/4/2012 12:32 AM, catsatararat wrote:

        > Good morning
        >
        > I suspect that I am not a good fit for this group as I am a total
        > novice without any LINUX system experience, and I don't want to annoy
        > by asking a whole lot of basic questions.
        >
        > I want to try to install in place of Windows on a home PC (3PCs
        > networked actually). Can anyone recommend a group or forum where I can
        > get help for an absolute beginner who knows NOTHING? I do not have
        > access to any local LINUX support so I need to learn how to do this
        > myself from scratch. Terrifying prospect as I have never dealt with OS
        > before, but I want to try.
        >
        > Thanks for any help getting started
        >
        > Cheryl

      • thad_floryan
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 4, 2012
          --- In redhat@yahoogroups.com, "catsatararat" <catsatararat@...> wrote:

          > Good morning
          >
          > I suspect that I am not a good fit for this group as I am a total
          > novice without any LINUX system experience, and I don't want to annoy
          > by asking a whole lot of basic questions.
          >
          > I want to try to install in place of Windows on a home PC (3PCs
          > networked actually). Can anyone recommend a group or forum where I
          > can get help for an absolute beginner who knows NOTHING?

          Hi Cheryl,

          The "Linux Newbies" group would seem to be suited 100% to your needs:

          I 100% disagree with the other reply recommending Fedora since that's
          a bleeding-edge perpetual beta version for Red Hat Enterprise Linux,
          and I write that having used UNIX and Linux both since their Day 1s.

          Linux has 100s of distributions, nicknamed "distros", that serve an
          incredible range of user interests suiting the absolute beginner to
          guru-level server wizards. You'll probably find the Ubuntu distro
          to be what you want at this time assuming it'll work with your PC
          hardware.

          The best way to determine if a distro will work on one's system is to
          download what's known as the "Live CD" version of that distro and
          simply booting it. It will not affect anything on your hard drive and
          will clearly indicate whether it can utilize all your PC's hardware or
          not, noting WiFi and video are the most common troublesome hardware.

          Info on how to download a "Live CD" (an *.iso file) and how to burn it
          to a CD or DVD will be gladly explained to you in the Newbies group.

          > I do not have access to any local LINUX support so I need to learn
          > how to do this myself from scratch. Terrifying prospect as I have
          > never dealt with OS before, but I want to try.

          That's a wonderful attitude! :-)

          > Thanks for any help getting started

          Join the Newbies group. And you're welcome! :-)

          Thad
        • James Freer
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 4, 2012
            Cheryl

            I think it's fair to point out the following. I was a linux newbie in 2007 and
            learnt all from a book and online. I think you have got frustrated and hence a
            desperation post.

            All the main distros have excellent documentation. Nothing wrong with Fedora,
            Centos, Debian or Ubuntu (although Xubuntu being more lightweight would be a
            better start. I use xubuntu even though i've got a new PC. You have to try a
            few and decide which is best for you - i like the apt package management as
            it's faster than rpm.

            The main distros each have a forum where folk are very helpful,
            ubuntulinux@yahoogroups is a very live newbie friendly group. I'm not sure
            about this one as i only joined when i tried out Fedora... and haven't
            unsubscribed yet. There are also the lists and should you turn to *buntu
            there's a list for each flavour as well as the developers list. I think email
            lists are easier than forums... i rarely use the ubuntu forum as it's so large
            now. If your choice is Fedora you will certainly find that forum very friendly
            and helpful.

            As you say learning is a "terrifying prospect". BEFORE you attempt to install a
            linux distro and learn about the system get hold of another PC so you don't
            mess up all your work on the main PC. Linux is not windows! they love to say
            and there is a learning curve. A book is well worth getting for the initial
            month. Look at a few distro screenshots and stick with that distro initially to
            learn as much as you can about linux generally. You'll then find you make
            choices. I use xubuntu as i like the package management and it was the first
            distro i started with - used ubuntu and kubuntu and prefer the lightweight
            approach. You will have to spend time learning linux but won't regret it - i
            think i've given genuine sound advice. A local linux users group is worth going
            along to but my group aren't that keen on anything other than pub meets.

            james

            > > Good morning
            > >
            > > I suspect that I am not a good fit for this group as I am a total
            > > novice without any LINUX system experience, and I don't want to annoy
            > > by asking a whole lot of basic questions.
            > >
            > > I want to try to install in place of Windows on a home PC (3PCs
            > > networked actually). Can anyone recommend a group or forum where I can
            > > get help for an absolute beginner who knows NOTHING? I do not have
            > > access to any local LINUX support so I need to learn how to do this
            > > myself from scratch. Terrifying prospect as I have never dealt with OS
            > > before, but I want to try.
            > >
            > > Thanks for any help getting started
            > >
            > > Cheryl
          • C.A. WAITES
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 5, 2012
              Thankyou so much to all who responded, but you could all be talking Sanskrit to me (and yes, I do understand the pun there!)

              I am not just a newbie to linux, but also to operating systems generally.  I was hoping for some advice on where I could get books to get me started, but this seems to imply that information may already be out dated by the time it is distributed.

              I do not have any local groups I can got to.  LINUX is virtually unknown where I am.

              I have already invested in three books that were well reviewed and I have spent a couple of weeks trying to make sense of them to no avail.  I appreciate the encouragement, but until there is a forum where an absolute novice can go for really basic basics I fear LINUX may remain the province of those with a "certain level of knowledge" as I need to look up the terms you are using to me even in these few messages.  I will check out the newbie group recommended but . . . .

              I already had a laptop cleared of data/programs set aside to learn on, but I need to figure out even the physical steps to load an operating system.  I may go ahead with this one day, but for now it is on the backburner again.

              Thanks again for taking the time to send encouragement and advice.  It is appreciated.

              Cheryl

              catsatararat@...

              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 5, 2012
                On Wed, Dec 05, 2012 at 04:56:31PM -0800, C.A. WAITES wrote:
                > Thankyou so much to all who responded, but you could all be talking Sanskrit to me (and yes, I do understand the pun there!)

                To put on my moderator hat for a moment:

                Cheryl, please do try to follow proper posting style, that is, post in
                line, answering point A after point A, point B after point B. This list is
                a bit lax about it, as one of the mods <cough>Dan<cough> doesn't do it, but
                in general, many Linux lists will expect you to post properly.

                See
                http://linux.sgms-centre.com/misc/netiquette.php
                And
                http://howto-pages.org/posting_style

                (For example, the linux@yahoo groups.com will usually fix your post once,
                then just let the message sit in queue the next time.)

                At any rate, back to the subject. :)

                > I am not just a newbie to linux, but also to operating systems generally.  I was hoping for some advice on where I could get books to get me started, but this seems to imply that information may already be out dated by the time it is distributed.

                That is frequently the case. There are two, free, online books that I
                still recommend, the Getting Started section of the Linux Installation and
                Getting started guide--I think it was written in the late 90's, and the
                installation part is completely out of date, but the getting started part
                helps introduce you to the shell, and using Linux does often involve typing
                in commands.

                > I do not have any local groups I can got to.  LINUX is virtually unknown where I am.
                >

                > I have already invested in three books that were well reviewed and I have spent a couple of weeks trying to make sense of them to no avail.  I appreciate the encouragement, but until there is a forum where an absolute novice can go for really basic basics I fear LINUX may remain the province of those with a "certain level of knowledge" as I need to look up the terms you are using to me even in these few messages.  I will check out the newbie group recommended but . . . .

                I think that I'd probably recommend Ubuntu as a starting point. One reason
                for this is that as it does call itself Linux for human beings, it places
                stronge emphasis on being usable by the newcomer. Their forums at
                http://ubuntuforums.org/ are very helpful for beginners, either answering
                very naive questions or giving you links to find the answers.

                > I already had a laptop cleared of data/programs set aside to learn on, but I need to figure out even the physical steps to load an operating system.  I may go ahead with this one day, but for now it is on the backburner again.

                Well, you can always, assuming the laptop is reasonably good, put on
                VirtualBox and install a Linux system as a VirtualBox virtual machine. Then
                you can delete and reinstall it at will without breaking anything else.

                Cordelia: Buffy, these men are rich, and I am not being
                shallow. Think of all the
                poor people I could help with all my money.
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 5, 2012
                  On 05Dec2012 21:30, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:
                  | On Wed, Dec 05, 2012 at 04:56:31PM -0800, C.A. WAITES wrote:
                  | > I have already invested in three books that were well reviewed
                  | > and I have spent a couple of weeks trying to make sense of them to no
                  | > avail.  I appreciate the encouragement, but until there is a forum
                  | > where an absolute novice can go for really basic basics I fear LINUX
                  | > may remain the province of those with a "certain level of knowledge"
                  | > as I need to look up the terms you are using to me even in these few
                  | > messages.  I will check out the newbie group recommended but . . . .
                  |
                  | I think that I'd probably recommend Ubuntu as a starting point.

                  Me too (though based on anecdote rather than experience).

                  You can fetch a DVDROM image here:

                  http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

                  | > I already had a laptop cleared of data/programs set aside to learn on,
                  | > but I need to figure out even the physical steps to load an operating
                  | > system.  I may go ahead with this one day, but for now it is on the
                  | > backburner again.

                  No, just do it one evening. Seriously, it is pretty easy and quick.

                  The steps are as follows:

                  fetch the Ubuntu install DVDROM image from the link above using your
                  current computer and burn it to a DVD

                  insert into the laptop DVDROM drive and reboot

                  with luck the laptop will boot from the DVDROM and you can proceed
                  to install

                  There are full instructions here:

                  http://www.ubuntu.com/download/help/install-desktop-latest

                  It should take less than an hour one evening.
                  Just take the default options for most questions.

                  | Well, you can always, assuming the laptop is reasonably good, put on
                  | VirtualBox and install a Linux system as a VirtualBox virtual machine. Then
                  | you can delete and reinstall it at will without breaking anything else.

                  Even simpler, Ubuntu probably runs as a "live DVD": it has a mode to
                  boot and run Ubuntu without installing on the laptop.

                  But if you have a laptop you can scrub (install on without worrying
                  about preserving what was on it before), just do that ordinary install.
                  You can always do it again with something else if you hate it.
                  --
                  Cameron Simpson <cs@...>
                • C.A. WAITES
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 6, 2012
                    >________________________________

                  • Thomas J. Hruska
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 6, 2012
                      On 12/3/2012 11:32 PM, catsatararat wrote:
                      > Good morning
                      >
                      > I suspect that I am not a good fit for this group as I am a total novice without any LINUX system experience, and I don't want to annoy by asking a whole lot of basic questions.
                      >
                      > I want to try to install in place of Windows on a home PC (3PCs networked actually). Can anyone recommend a group or forum where I can get help for an absolute beginner who knows NOTHING? I do not have access to any local LINUX support so I need to learn how to do this myself from scratch. Terrifying prospect as I have never dealt with OS before, but I want to try.
                      >
                      > Thanks for any help getting started
                      >
                      > Cheryl

                      IMO, the Ubuntu distro is the most user-friendly Linux distro out there.
                      It will let you take baby steps into the world of Linux.

                      They have a Live CD (like a lot of distros - useful for just trying it
                      out without installing it) but also have side-by-side installation - you
                      can carve out part of an existing Windows partition and install it for
                      real on hardware and will change the "bootloader", a technical term that
                      decides which OS to start up, to let you easily switch between the OSes.
                      Plus, Ubuntu tends to ship with enough drivers that there's a good
                      chance all of your hardware will work without having to dig around too much.

                      I recommend backing up your data before doing any major OS changes. :)

                      Most other distros tend to have a bigger learning curve. I just put
                      Ubuntu on a Win7 laptop a couple months ago and it was ridiculously
                      simple - popped the disc in and walked away while it installed. Came
                      back and it was done and works just fine.

                      Come back to Fedora or CentOS when you've gotten your feet wet and are
                      reasonably comfortable with the "scary" terminal that offers powerful
                      functionality to do cool stuff you can't do with the GUI.

                      --
                      Thomas Hruska
                      Shining Light Productions

                      Home of BMP2AVI and Win32 OpenSSL.