Re: [redhat] Re: Installing Fedora 16 - Dual Boot?

    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 18, 2011
      On Sun, Dec 18, 2011 at 10:25:10PM -0000, Mike, KC7VE wrote:
      > See inline...
      >
      > --- In redhat@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > On Sun, Dec 18, 2011 at 06:09:05PM -0000, Mike, KC7VE wrote:

      Thanks for doing inline, also, please try to trim. As I think I said,
      one of our mods is one of the worst offenders, but anyway...

      > > I suspect you chose the live CD, which is what Fedora gives as the
      > > default. I believe it has to predetermine partitions or something like
      > > that--I've forgotten the details, but it's a bit different than some
      > > other live CDs, and gives you a few more limitations.
      >
      > Yes, it was live CD but I'm still having trouble.
      >
      > I have downloaded the ISO file and made a DVD. That file was Fedora-16-i386-DVD.iso.

      Ok, that's the right one. Always good to check the sh256sum. If
      you're not familiar with doing that, on CentOS, the command is

      sh256sum Fedora-16-i386-DVD.iso

      This will take a little while, and then you should get back the number
      af7f172962ab47748914edb7c4d30565d23b4cf21f3bc4b7e3cd770b384d9a75

      (Generally, if the first 4 or 5 and last few digits match, it's probably
      good.)

      But when I place the CD into the dvd and boot, it detects the CD, the screen shows "Boot from CD:", the drive continues to be accessed, then it reverts to the screen where I have the only option of booting to CentOS. It never gets to an install screen, to install Fedora, like it did with the Live CD. The system just continues on and boots to CentOS.

      That shouldn't be happening. You should be getting to an install
      screen, so it might be worth running the checksum command given above to
      make sure it's not corrupted.

      (Note that is the sum for downloaded ISO file, NOT for the DVD once it's
      burnt.)

      Angel: I've been around death before. A lot. I've lost
      people. I've killed people...
      Cordelia: And you are dead.
    • Jim
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 18, 2011
        You can do an actual install using the live cd also.
        Boot the live CD then select the option to do the install.
        -Jim-

        [ Untrimmed bottom quote trimmed by moderator. Please people: _trim_ quotes, and reply _inline_ below the relevant snippet. It makes things MUCH easier to read for context, and makes list archive searches more relevant. ]
      • Mike, KC7VE
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 18, 2011
          I cannot boot and install Fedora 16 from the boot DVD. I have tried several different way. I see the drive being accessed, I get the GRUB loader, but the ONLY option I have is the previous OS. It will continue on to boot from the previous OS and ignores the DVD install.

          What I have done:

          1) I have burned the Fedora-16-i386-DVD.iso onto a DVD.
          2) I have verified it's on the DVD by viewing it from the PC it's being installed on.
          3) I have placed the DVD with this image, in the DVD player, and rebooted.
          4) It will not show the Install screen or install Fedora 16 DVD.
          5) It always boots directly to the previous OS.

          Anyone have any idea why this might not install? I'm not a Linux person... DUH!

          I have done the very same thing with the installable Live Media and it installed just fine. I also installed it to hard drive and it worked fine. I performed the update and it installed a bazillion other files.

          But I don't know if this is the full Linux. I was given to believe that this Live Desktop was a trimmed down version that runs from RAM.

          Is there a more full featured version or does Live Desktop, give one the full version of Fedora 16? I ask this because this Live Desktop version is less than 700M. The DVD iso is 3.7GB. Clearly that has more on it. This is so confusing. :-)

          If anyone can explain Fedora versions and which one one should download, to have the most complete version, I'd sure like to have the steps. ;)
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 18, 2011
            On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 01:34:23AM -0000, Mike, KC7VE wrote:

            > I cannot boot and install Fedora 16 from the boot DVD. I have tried several different way. I see the drive being accessed, I get the GRUB loader, but the ONLY option I have is the previous OS. It will continue on to boot from the previous OS and ignores the DVD install.
            >
            > What I have done:
            >
            > 1) I have burned the Fedora-16-i386-DVD.iso onto a DVD.
            > 2) I have verified it's on the DVD by viewing it from the PC it's being installed on.
            > 3) I have placed the DVD with this image, in the DVD player, and rebooted.
            > 4) It will not show the Install screen or install Fedora 16 DVD.
            > 5) It always boots directly to the previous OS.

            > Anyone have any idea why this might not install? I'm not a Linux person... DUH!

            I'm guessing you did this in Windows, and unfortunately, I'm not that
            familiar with Windows burning tools. I do know that sometimes people
            just directly copy an ISO, rather than burn the image, but it sounds as
            if you understand that, from you comment about viewing the DVD.

            A few possibilities--if your computer will boot from USB stick, and you
            have a USB of at least 4GB free, use unetbootin, avaiable at
            http://unetbootin.sf.net

            Then, if you boot from the USB drive, you'll have a few options, it
            should work if you pick the default, go through some stuff, and
            eventually get to the installation dialog.

            > I have done the very same thing with the installable Live Media and it installed just fine. I also installed it to hard drive and it worked fine. I performed the update and it installed a bazillion other files.
            >
            > But I don't know if this is the full Linux. I was given to believe that this Live Desktop was a trimmed down version that runs from RAM.

            No, I don't think it runs in RAM, that sounds a little too advanced for
            Fedora and RedHat developers. (I could be wrong though--still, it
            sounds as if it would be efficient and fast, neither of which make me
            think of Fedora). :)

            It does have a limited package selection, though after installation, you
            can install other packages--it's bigger disadvantage is that I believe
            you are very limited in your partitioning scheme. However, take that
            with a grain of salt, I haven't used the LiveCD in a long time.

            > Is there a more full featured version or does Live Desktop, give one the full version of Fedora 16? I ask this because this Live Desktop version is less than 700M. The DVD iso is 3.7GB. Clearly that has more on it. This is so confusing. :-)

            Well, the DVD has all sort of other things, including the possibility to
            install other desktops--the liveCD that you probably first downloaded
            has Gnome, but the DVD will also have KDE, XFCE, and others. Still, if
            you're planning to run a default Fedora desktop, if the partitioning
            works out, then the live CD should work.

            > If anyone can explain Fedora versions and which one one should download, to have the most complete version, I'd sure like to have the steps. ;)

            Well, see above. That DVD is the most complete version, and I'm not
            sure why it's not booting for you. You could also try just downloading
            the netinst.iso, which is only 266 MB and fits on a CD. That will boot,
            and if you have a working network connection, you can then install as
            you would the regular 3.6 GB DVD with the advantage that it will get the
            latest of most packages, but the disadvantage that rather than get
            packages from the disc, it will download them over the Internet. With
            broadband connection, this isn't horrible--I'm not sure how long it
            would take, I always do a minimal install, which is about 200 rather
            than 2000 packages of the default desktop install and it usually only
            takes 20 minutes. (It's not going to be proportional--that is, it
            isn't going to get 10 times that amount of time to get 10 times the
            amount of packages, some will be very small and download quickly, others
            will take longer.

            Spike: You won. Alright? You came in and you killed them,
            and you took their land. That's what conquering nations do. It's
            what Caeser did, and he's not going around saying I came, I conquered,
            I felt really bad about it.
          • Mike, KC7VE
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 18, 2011
              Thanks, this is starting to make sense.

              first, I made a DVD of the image on both a windows machine and a Linux machine. Both behaved the same. I made one DVD from my windows machine. The other was made by copying the ISO the Linux machine (running CentOS). I then burned that ISO to the DVE. Same results. It would just boot to the pervious OS. Oh well...

              If I have this right, I can use the live desktop version, install that to disk and then add other pacakges, as I need them, from that intall.

              If I'm happy with Gnome, I'd select that one. If I'm happy with KDE, I'd select that one. In fact, I have installed both and prefer the KDE. The DVD version (3.6 gig) just gives me additional software but the basic Fedora is the same. I can get all the same software via the internet, if I choose and the DVD just saves having to load it from the internet. Seems to make sense. But I would like to understand why this isn't allowing me to install.

              I'll have to keep researching this. For now, I have the KDE spin installed and everything seems to work fine, using the CD install.

              Thanks,
              Mike

              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 18, 2011
                On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 02:20:14AM -0000, Mike, KC7VE wrote:
                > Thanks, this is starting to make sense.

                > If I have this right, I can use the live desktop version, install that to disk and then add other pacakges, as I need them, from that intall.

                That is correct. The only issue you _might_ run into is with
                partitioning, but if you've got your partitions set, I _think_ that will
                be OK.

                > I'll have to keep researching this. For now, I have the KDE spin installed and everything seems to work fine, using the CD install.

                Great--you mean installed, and you can boot to either system?

                If so, good job, you fixed it. :)

                Buffy: People to see, demons to kill.
              • Mike, KC7VE
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 19, 2011
                  --- In redhat@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:

                  > On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 02:20:14AM -0000, Mike, KC7VE wrote:
                  > > If I have this right, I can use the live desktop version, install that to disk and then add other pacakges, as I need them, from that intall.
                  > >
                  > That is correct. The only issue you _might_ run into is with
                  > partitioning, but if you've got your partitions set, I _think_ that will
                  > be OK.
                  >

                  > > I'll have to keep researching this. For now, I have the KDE spin installed and everything seems to work fine, using the CD install.
                  > >

                  > Great--you mean installed, and you can boot to either system?
                  >
                  > If so, good job, you fixed it. :)

                  Actually no. I couldn't figure out how to install and keep my partition. It
                  gave me a few choices but none was to keep the original partition.

                  The first option was to delete ALL partitions.
                  The Second option was to delete AlL Linux partitions and keep Windows
                  There were a few other options but I didn't see any that were obviously meant to keep a linux partition.

                  I assume I'll have to create some custom partition (which was one of the options). But I'm kind of clueless on how to do this. There was a listing I saw that showed many hard drives, although I only have one. I assume these are the various partitions that were created for Fedora 16, since I had it wipe all the other partitions. But because there were so many, I don't understand what might be required, should I have tried to make a custom partition. Tips?

                  But I'll try again. I've installed this stuff a few times. I'm just tesing the
                  install methods now and trying to learn Linux. I'm using Fedora 16 right now
                  but will be checking Ubuntu later. Looking for a good package, that's easy to
                  istall.

                  When I do settle down on a pacakge, I will go back and try to get CentOS 4.8
                  (non-graphical) installed. I need that software for another purpose.

                  Mike

                  > --
                  > Scott Robbins
                  > PGP keyID EB3467D6
                  >
                  > Buffy: People to see, demons to kill.

                • Dan
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 19, 2011
                    See comments on bottom for an alternative underlying solution

                    On 12/19/2011 8:33 AM, Mike, KC7VE wrote:

                    > --- In redhat@yahoogroups.com <mailto:redhat%40yahoogroups.com>, Scott
                    > <scottro@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 02:20:14AM -0000, Mike, KC7VE wrote:
                    > > > If I have this right, I can use the live desktop version, install
                    > that to disk and then add other pacakges, as I need them, from that
                    > intall.
                    > > >
                    > > That is correct. The only issue you _might_ run into is with
                    > > partitioning, but if you've got your partitions set, I _think_ that will
                    > > be OK.
                    > >

                    > > > I'll have to keep researching this. For now, I have the KDE spin
                    > installed and everything seems to work fine, using the CD install.
                    > > >

                    > > Great--you mean installed, and you can boot to either system?
                    > >
                    > > If so, good job, you fixed it. :)
                    >
                    > Actually no. I couldn't figure out how to install and keep my
                    > partition. It gave me a few choices but none was to keep the original
                    > partition.
                    >
                    > The first option was to delete ALL partitions.
                    > The Second option was to delete AlL Linux partitions and keep Windows
                    > There were a few other options but I didn't see any that were
                    > obviously meant to keep a linux partition.
                    >
                    > But I'll try again. I've installed this stuff a few times. I'm just
                    > tesing the install methods now and trying to learn Linux. I'm using
                    > Fedora 16 right now but will be checking Ubuntu later. Looking for a
                    > good package, that's easy to istall.
                    >
                    > When I do settle down on a pacakge, I will go back and try to get
                    > CentOS 4.8 (non-graphical) installed. I need that software for another
                    > purpose.
                    >
                    > Mike__

                    Don't know where to trim BUT, since you are experimenting, might I
                    suggest load VMWare ESXi as the base operating system, permanent license
                    is free for "lab" servers. Then install each OS or each iteration of the
                    OS as a VM Guest, give yourself 50GB of disk space for each operating
                    system (more space if you are going to do a lot with it, but then you
                    can practice adding filesystems to it later).
                    This way you can have all your Operating Systems loaded, some running at
                    the same time, and the only thing it is costing you is a few hundred GB
                    of disk space (with systems capable of 4GB of disk this is nothing).
                    Besides knowing ESXi is good for a career.
                    There is VMWare, ESX, ESXi (production license), ESXi (permanent lab
                    license). I think VMWare also has a free permanent license.

                    The only remaining requirement is that you have a hyper-threading
                    processor, and almost all made in the last 3 or 4 years are
                    hyper-threading.