Re: [redhat] packages

  • James Freer
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 4, 2011
      On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 7:39 PM, Abcdd Ddd <abcdd_12005@...> wrote:

      > If rpms are very difficult to find for Red Hat, then why it is so popular. Why ubuntu craze is not that much of Red Hat? What's good points about red hat?

      I don't think it's quite that way. Red hat is popular as it's been
      around the longest - more folk have used it and also used on the
      commercial side. Other distros have been focused on home PC. That is
      where Ubuntu have stepped in and are slowly catching up in the
      commercial market. [I read a comparison a while ago on servers and
      Redhat did particularly badly considering it's paid for and Suse
      didn't do much better].

      Most folk see rpm having the big drawback of updating time and
      dependency hell. Having been a deb user i find rpm difficult to get
      used to and it's fair to say rpm folk would find the change to deb
      difficult. The best distro in terms of eye-candy imo is PCLOS - but
      crucial point with a distro is what's under the bonnet.

      james
    • Dan
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 6, 2011
        If you want hobby, go with Ubunto or Fedora

        If you want employability go with RedHat...

        Fedora has some great software packages, but RedHat many of the updates
        require a subscription for the OS and are focused on the Commerical server.