packages

  • Dan
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 25, 2011
      I am trying to determine what is in each of the packages listed at the
      bottom of my kickstart file. I am having no luck on RedHat site or google.

      Anyone know where there is a complete list of redhat package and a list
      of what applications are inside?

      I mean by packages:
      There is a desktop package
      a printing package for cups
      a legacy package

      Thanks
      Dan
    • Ahmed Sharif
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 26, 2011
        On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 8:39 AM, Dan <hyattdj@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > I am trying to determine what is in each of the packages listed at the
        > bottom of my kickstart file. I am having no luck on RedHat site or google.
        >
        > Anyone know where there is a complete list of redhat package and a list
        > of what applications are inside?
        >
        > I mean by packages:
        > There is a desktop package
        > a printing package for cups
        > a legacy package
        >
        > Thanks
        > Dan

        Hello,
        If you have the installation disk, you can use the following command to get
        information about a package:

        # cd /location/of/rpm/files
        # rpm -qpi sample-package.version.rpm

        To get a list of all files inside the package you have to run the following:

        # cd /location/of/rpm/files
        # rpm -qpl sample-package.version.rpm

        I am not sure if you are looking for this.

        There is another option. If you have RHN subscription, you can visit
        https://rhn.redhat.com The information you are looking for are available
        there.

        Thanks,

        Ahmed Sharif

      • Abcdd Ddd
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 4, 2011
          If rpms are very difficult to find for Red Hat, then why it is so popular. Why ubuntu craze is not that much of Red Hat? What's good points about red hat?

        • James Freer
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 4, 2011
            On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 7:39 PM, Abcdd Ddd <abcdd_12005@...> wrote:

            > If rpms are very difficult to find for Red Hat, then why it is so popular. Why ubuntu craze is not that much of Red Hat? What's good points about red hat?

            I don't think it's quite that way. Red hat is popular as it's been
            around the longest - more folk have used it and also used on the
            commercial side. Other distros have been focused on home PC. That is
            where Ubuntu have stepped in and are slowly catching up in the
            commercial market. [I read a comparison a while ago on servers and
            Redhat did particularly badly considering it's paid for and Suse
            didn't do much better].

            Most folk see rpm having the big drawback of updating time and
            dependency hell. Having been a deb user i find rpm difficult to get
            used to and it's fair to say rpm folk would find the change to deb
            difficult. The best distro in terms of eye-candy imo is PCLOS - but
            crucial point with a distro is what's under the bonnet.

            james
          • Dan
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 6, 2011
              If you want hobby, go with Ubunto or Fedora

              If you want employability go with RedHat...

              Fedora has some great software packages, but RedHat many of the updates
              require a subscription for the OS and are focused on the Commerical server.