Re: [redhat] Vlc player installation on redhat Linux 5

  • Branx86 Gmail
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 1, 2011
      You should be able to go to the cmd prompt type. urpmi vlc

      Sent from Brandon's iPhone

      On Aug 1, 2011, at 9:55 AM, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:

      > On Mon, Aug 01, 2011 at 06:05:43AM -0000, mansoor wrote:
      > > Hi all....
      > >
      > > There is only one media player in my system, that is Realplayer 11 Gold. But Iam not able to play any video file there except wmv format. I want to play avi. I tried to install vlc player, but its not happening. I checked many websites and tried alot to install. Pls help me to install it. pls get me the step by step instructions..its an urgent. Plz help me brothers.
      > > Thanking YOu
      > > Mansoor
      > > Bangalore
      >
      > Not sure how you tried to install, but if you enable the rpmforge repo,
      > you can install vlc without problem. (Just google rpmforge, now called
      > repoforge, and you should find easy instructions to install it.)
      >
      > --
      > Scott Robbins
      > PGP keyID EB3467D6
      >
      > Mayor Wilkins: I have two words that are going to make all your
      > troubles go away. 'Miniature Golf.'

    • alanna roe
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 2, 2011
        i wonder if anyone has noticed that the op mentioned redhat -=5=- ?
        that is, early redhat, from ca 1998-1999, in the bad old days of gnome
        1x, libc5, netscape navigator, etc...

        and if that's the case, then the solution is to bury it in the
        backyard, so to speak, cause who in his or her right mind would run a
        libc5 system in this day and age?

        if he's lucky, really lucky, it MIGHT build from source (if the
        ./configure script doesn't spit out the computer equivalent of "you
        have got to be kidding me").

        --
        @-}-- alanna
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 2, 2011
          On Sun, Oct 02, 2011 at 08:19:06AM -0600, alanna roe wrote:
          > i wonder if anyone has noticed that the op mentioned redhat -=5=- ?
          > that is, early redhat, from ca 1998-1999, in the bad old days of gnome
          > 1x, libc5, netscape navigator, etc...

          Missed it myself, but it is possible they meant RHEL5, which, while old,
          is still supported by RH for another few years, (as well as having
          CentOS and ScientificLinux versions.)

          Xander: I don't like vampires. I'm going to take a stand and say
          they're not good.
        • Dan
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 2, 2011
            Question...
            In the old days (2006/2007) the redhat office suite was excellent at
            reading (and writing to PDFs).
            Yet I am no longer able to edit PDF's.
            Did Adobe PDFs change, or did the office suite tools change?
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 2, 2011
              On Sun, Oct 02, 2011 at 04:59:07PM -0500, Dan wrote:
              > Question...
              > In the old days (2006/2007) the redhat office suite was excellent at
              > reading (and writing to PDFs).
              > Yet I am no longer able to edit PDF's.
              > Did Adobe PDFs change, or did the office suite tools change?

              The latest versions of openoffice are able to do some, though not
              complete, editing of pdfs--you have to get an extension, I've forgotten
              the name, and edit it in draw.

              However, I don't remember it being able to edit pdfs in the old
              days--only acrobat (not the free reader, the rather expensive acrobat
              itself) is what I remember being able to easily edit them.

              It has had, for awhile, though, the ability to export a document or
              spreadsheet as pdf.

              Spike: Willow, tell 'em what I did.
              Willow: You said you were gonna kill me, then Buffy.
              Spike: Yes, bad, but let's skip that part and get to
              the part where I couldn't bite you.