Re: [redhat] Vlc player installation on redhat Linux 5

  • Branx86 Gmail
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 1, 2011
      You should be able to go to the cmd prompt type. urpmi vlc

      Sent from Brandon's iPhone

      On Aug 1, 2011, at 9:55 AM, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:

      > On Mon, Aug 01, 2011 at 06:05:43AM -0000, mansoor wrote:
      > > Hi all....
      > >
      > > There is only one media player in my system, that is Realplayer 11 Gold. But Iam not able to play any video file there except wmv format. I want to play avi. I tried to install vlc player, but its not happening. I checked many websites and tried alot to install. Pls help me to install it. pls get me the step by step instructions..its an urgent. Plz help me brothers.
      > > Thanking YOu
      > > Mansoor
      > > Bangalore
      >
      > Not sure how you tried to install, but if you enable the rpmforge repo,
      > you can install vlc without problem. (Just google rpmforge, now called
      > repoforge, and you should find easy instructions to install it.)
      >
      > --
      > Scott Robbins
      > PGP keyID EB3467D6
      >
      > Mayor Wilkins: I have two words that are going to make all your
      > troubles go away. 'Miniature Golf.'

    • Bran x86
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 1, 2011
        On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 10:17 AM, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > On Mon, Aug 01, 2011 at 11:16:14AM -0400, Scott wrote:
        >
        > > On Mon, Aug 01, 2011 at 08:54:42AM -0500, Bran x86 wrote:
        > > > Try to install Mplayer go to command prompt type "urpmi -a mplayer"
        >
        > > Hi Bran,
        >

        > > Also, please use inline, rather than top, posting. If this isn't clear,
        > > take a look at the list FAQ at
        > > http://home.roadrunner.com/~computertaijutsu/linfaq.html#netiquette
        >
        > Oops, just realized that the original was sent from an iPhone--we do
        > realize that proper email formatting is almost impossible from theose.
        >
        > --
        > Scott Robbins
        > PGP keyID EB3467D6
        >
        > Xander: I have my pride. Okay, so I don't have a *lot* of my pride,
        > but I have enough so that I can't do this.
        >
        > _

        No problem yes you are correct that is a Mandriva command got mix up.
        I meant in a browser or wget cmd line goto
        http://apt.sw.be/redhat/9/en/i386/rpmforge/RPMS/videolan-client-0.8.1-3.0.rh9.rf.i386.rpm
        download VLC and in a cmd line type " rpm -ivh
        videolan-client-0.8.1-3.0.rh9.rf.i386.rpm "
        --
        --branx86@...
        Solution Provider (I will find you a answer!)

      • alanna roe
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 2, 2011
          i wonder if anyone has noticed that the op mentioned redhat -=5=- ?
          that is, early redhat, from ca 1998-1999, in the bad old days of gnome
          1x, libc5, netscape navigator, etc...

          and if that's the case, then the solution is to bury it in the
          backyard, so to speak, cause who in his or her right mind would run a
          libc5 system in this day and age?

          if he's lucky, really lucky, it MIGHT build from source (if the
          ./configure script doesn't spit out the computer equivalent of "you
          have got to be kidding me").

          --
          @-}-- alanna
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 2, 2011
            On Sun, Oct 02, 2011 at 08:19:06AM -0600, alanna roe wrote:
            > i wonder if anyone has noticed that the op mentioned redhat -=5=- ?
            > that is, early redhat, from ca 1998-1999, in the bad old days of gnome
            > 1x, libc5, netscape navigator, etc...

            Missed it myself, but it is possible they meant RHEL5, which, while old,
            is still supported by RH for another few years, (as well as having
            CentOS and ScientificLinux versions.)

            Xander: I don't like vampires. I'm going to take a stand and say
            they're not good.
          • Dan
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 2, 2011
              Question...
              In the old days (2006/2007) the redhat office suite was excellent at
              reading (and writing to PDFs).
              Yet I am no longer able to edit PDF's.
              Did Adobe PDFs change, or did the office suite tools change?
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 2, 2011
                On Sun, Oct 02, 2011 at 04:59:07PM -0500, Dan wrote:
                > Question...
                > In the old days (2006/2007) the redhat office suite was excellent at
                > reading (and writing to PDFs).
                > Yet I am no longer able to edit PDF's.
                > Did Adobe PDFs change, or did the office suite tools change?

                The latest versions of openoffice are able to do some, though not
                complete, editing of pdfs--you have to get an extension, I've forgotten
                the name, and edit it in draw.

                However, I don't remember it being able to edit pdfs in the old
                days--only acrobat (not the free reader, the rather expensive acrobat
                itself) is what I remember being able to easily edit them.

                It has had, for awhile, though, the ability to export a document or
                spreadsheet as pdf.

                Spike: Willow, tell 'em what I did.
                Willow: You said you were gonna kill me, then Buffy.
                Spike: Yes, bad, but let's skip that part and get to
                the part where I couldn't bite you.