Vlc player installation on redhat Linux 5

  • mansoor
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 31, 2011
      Hi all....

      There is only one media player in my system, that is Realplayer 11 Gold. But Iam not able to play any video file there except wmv format. I want to play avi. I tried to install vlc player, but its not happening. I checked many websites and tried alot to install. Pls help me to install it. pls get me the step by step instructions..its an urgent. Plz help me brothers.
      Thanking YOu
      Mansoor
      Bangalore
    • Bran x86
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 1, 2011
        Try to install Mplayer go to command prompt type "urpmi -a mplayer"

        --
        --branx86@...
        Solution Provider (I will find you a answer!)

        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 1, 2011
          On Mon, Aug 01, 2011 at 06:05:43AM -0000, mansoor wrote:
          > Hi all....
          >
          > There is only one media player in my system, that is Realplayer 11 Gold. But Iam not able to play any video file there except wmv format. I want to play avi. I tried to install vlc player, but its not happening. I checked many websites and tried alot to install. Pls help me to install it. pls get me the step by step instructions..its an urgent. Plz help me brothers.
          > Thanking YOu
          > Mansoor
          > Bangalore

          Not sure how you tried to install, but if you enable the rpmforge repo,
          you can install vlc without problem. (Just google rpmforge, now called
          repoforge, and you should find easy instructions to install it.)

          Mayor Wilkins: I have two words that are going to make all your
          troubles go away. 'Miniature Golf.'
        • Branx86 Gmail
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 1, 2011
            You should be able to go to the cmd prompt type. urpmi vlc

            Sent from Brandon's iPhone

            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 1, 2011
              On Mon, Aug 01, 2011 at 08:54:42AM -0500, Bran x86 wrote:
              > Try to install Mplayer go to command prompt type "urpmi -a mplayer"
              >
              > On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 1:05 AM, mansoor <sneahatheeram@...> wrote:

              Hi Bran,

              Thanks for attempting to help, but a couple of things. Note that this
              is a RedHat list, so there's a good chance the original poster doesn't
              use urpmi, which is, if I'm not mistaken, a Mandriva program.

              Also, please use inline, rather than top, posting. If this isn't clear,
              take a look at the list FAQ at
              http://home.roadrunner.com/~computertaijutsu/linfaq.html#netiquette

              Spike: I'm bad! It's just I can't bite anymore, thanks to you
              wankers... Bye the bye, if you're trying to kill her...
              (gives Riley two thumbs up)
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 1, 2011
                On Mon, Aug 01, 2011 at 11:16:14AM -0400, Scott wrote:

                > On Mon, Aug 01, 2011 at 08:54:42AM -0500, Bran x86 wrote:
                > > Try to install Mplayer go to command prompt type "urpmi -a mplayer"

                > Hi Bran,
                >

                > Also, please use inline, rather than top, posting. If this isn't clear,
                > take a look at the list FAQ at
                > http://home.roadrunner.com/~computertaijutsu/linfaq.html#netiquette

                Oops, just realized that the original was sent from an iPhone--we do
                realize that proper email formatting is almost impossible from theose.

                Xander: I have my pride. Okay, so I don't have a *lot* of my pride,
                but I have enough so that I can't do this.
              • Bran x86
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 1, 2011
                  On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 10:17 AM, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:

                  > **
                  >

                  > On Mon, Aug 01, 2011 at 11:16:14AM -0400, Scott wrote:
                  >
                  > > On Mon, Aug 01, 2011 at 08:54:42AM -0500, Bran x86 wrote:
                  > > > Try to install Mplayer go to command prompt type "urpmi -a mplayer"
                  >
                  > > Hi Bran,
                  >

                  > > Also, please use inline, rather than top, posting. If this isn't clear,
                  > > take a look at the list FAQ at
                  > > http://home.roadrunner.com/~computertaijutsu/linfaq.html#netiquette
                  >
                  > Oops, just realized that the original was sent from an iPhone--we do
                  > realize that proper email formatting is almost impossible from theose.
                  >
                  > --
                  > Scott Robbins
                  > PGP keyID EB3467D6
                  >
                  > Xander: I have my pride. Okay, so I don't have a *lot* of my pride,
                  > but I have enough so that I can't do this.
                  >
                  > _

                  No problem yes you are correct that is a Mandriva command got mix up.
                  I meant in a browser or wget cmd line goto
                  http://apt.sw.be/redhat/9/en/i386/rpmforge/RPMS/videolan-client-0.8.1-3.0.rh9.rf.i386.rpm
                  download VLC and in a cmd line type " rpm -ivh
                  videolan-client-0.8.1-3.0.rh9.rf.i386.rpm "
                  --
                  --branx86@...
                  Solution Provider (I will find you a answer!)

                • alanna roe
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 2, 2011
                    i wonder if anyone has noticed that the op mentioned redhat -=5=- ?
                    that is, early redhat, from ca 1998-1999, in the bad old days of gnome
                    1x, libc5, netscape navigator, etc...

                    and if that's the case, then the solution is to bury it in the
                    backyard, so to speak, cause who in his or her right mind would run a
                    libc5 system in this day and age?

                    if he's lucky, really lucky, it MIGHT build from source (if the
                    ./configure script doesn't spit out the computer equivalent of "you
                    have got to be kidding me").

                    --
                    @-}-- alanna
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 2, 2011
                      On Sun, Oct 02, 2011 at 08:19:06AM -0600, alanna roe wrote:
                      > i wonder if anyone has noticed that the op mentioned redhat -=5=- ?
                      > that is, early redhat, from ca 1998-1999, in the bad old days of gnome
                      > 1x, libc5, netscape navigator, etc...

                      Missed it myself, but it is possible they meant RHEL5, which, while old,
                      is still supported by RH for another few years, (as well as having
                      CentOS and ScientificLinux versions.)

                      Xander: I don't like vampires. I'm going to take a stand and say
                      they're not good.
                    • Dan
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 2, 2011
                        Question...
                        In the old days (2006/2007) the redhat office suite was excellent at
                        reading (and writing to PDFs).
                        Yet I am no longer able to edit PDF's.
                        Did Adobe PDFs change, or did the office suite tools change?
                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 2, 2011
                          On Sun, Oct 02, 2011 at 04:59:07PM -0500, Dan wrote:
                          > Question...
                          > In the old days (2006/2007) the redhat office suite was excellent at
                          > reading (and writing to PDFs).
                          > Yet I am no longer able to edit PDF's.
                          > Did Adobe PDFs change, or did the office suite tools change?

                          The latest versions of openoffice are able to do some, though not
                          complete, editing of pdfs--you have to get an extension, I've forgotten
                          the name, and edit it in draw.

                          However, I don't remember it being able to edit pdfs in the old
                          days--only acrobat (not the free reader, the rather expensive acrobat
                          itself) is what I remember being able to easily edit them.

                          It has had, for awhile, though, the ability to export a document or
                          spreadsheet as pdf.

                          Spike: Willow, tell 'em what I did.
                          Willow: You said you were gonna kill me, then Buffy.
                          Spike: Yes, bad, but let's skip that part and get to
                          the part where I couldn't bite you.