Reg SMTP

  • ajay kumar
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 4, 2011
      Deal all,

      How to add additional SMTP Port in Sendmail configuration.

      Thanks in advance.

      regards,
      Ajay

    • mrkcoconnell
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 5, 2011
        To my knowledge SMPT uses port 25. As SMPT is a mail server to mail server protocol, changing this port number is unusual. Port 587 is used for the newer version.

        --- In redhat@yahoogroups.com, ajay kumar <ajay_psg@...> wrote:

        > Deal all,
        >
        > How to add additional SMTP Port in Sendmail configuration.
        >
        > Thanks in advance.
        >

        > regards,
        > Ajay

      • thad_floryan
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 5, 2011
          --- In redhat@yahoogroups.com, "mrkcoconnell" <mrkcoconnell@...> wrote:

          > To my knowledge SMPT uses port 25. As SMPT is a mail server to mail
          > server protocol, changing this port number is unusual. Port 587 is
          > used for the newer version.

          That isn't strictly true, because there's a difference between email
          transport (SMTP port 25) and email injection (port 587 is common).

          For example, I have a real SMTP server system at a colo that has my
          ftp server and web server also. It exchanges email with the world using
          port 25. When I send email from my home office, I connect to that
          server over port 587 to "inject" mail into the system for transport
          to its recipient. The relevant RFCs explain the differences between
          transport and injection for email. Google for the RFC numbers.

          Another point: the vast majority of all ISPs reject home-sent email on
          port 25 to thwart spam. Here's one noted ISP's explanation for this:

          <http://sonic.net/support/faq/advanced/port_25.shtml>

          Sonic.net is a big player here in Silicon Valley and N. California.
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 5, 2011
            On Sat, Feb 05, 2011 at 09:40:42PM -0000, thad_floryan wrote:
            > --- In redhat@yahoogroups.com, "mrkcoconnell" <mrkcoconnell@...> wrote:
            > >
            > For example, I have a real SMTP server system at a colo that has my
            > ftp server and web server also. It exchanges email with the world using
            > port 25. When I send email from my home office, I connect to that
            > server over port 587 to "inject" mail into the system for transport
            > to its recipient. The relevant RFCs explain the differences between
            > transport and injection for email. Google for the RFC numbers.
            >
            > Another point: the vast majority of all ISPs reject home-sent email on
            > port 25 to thwart spam. Here's one noted ISP's explanation for this:

            The file you want to look it is probably /etc/mail/sendmail.mc

            Do a search for 25 in the file and it should mention how to change it.
            After that (haven't used sendmail for ages, forget the command), you
            have to run something to change it in the actual sendmail.cf, then
            restart sendmail.

            Note that if you're doing this to thwart your ISP's terms of service,
            there may be repercussions.

            Miss Calendar: Okay, so this Master guy tried to open the
            Hellmouth, but he got stuck in it. And now, all the signs are reading
            that he's going to get out, which opens the Hellmouth, which brings
            the demons which ends the world.
            Giles: Yes. That about sums it up, yes.
            Miss Calendar: The part that gets me, though, is where Buffy is the
            Vampire Slayer. She's so little.
          • ajay kumar
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 6, 2011
              Dear all,

              Thanks for your advice, its valuable,

              My existing Sendmail, SMTP Server (using 25 Port) is working fine.
              but these all are done in Intranet (LAN) and webmail also working fine.
              I can't send and receive mails from Outside or globally in Outlook. getting IP FORGED error. how to solve.

              have understand my problem .. or if you want detailed clarification.?

              Thanks

              Regards,
              Ajay