Re: [redhat] Re: how to mount NTFS file of window in Redhat

  • alanna roe
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 18, 2010
      On 10/17/2010 10:46 PM, thad_floryan wrote:

      > /* Moderator note:
      > * Please inline or bottom post per the posting requirements
      > * you accepted by joining this group:
      > *<http://home.roadrunner.com/~computertaijutsu/linfaq.html>
      > *<http://linux.sgms-centre.com/misc/netiquette.php>
      > *<http://howto-pages.org/posting_style>
      > *<http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html>

      not to mention, trim your quotes, add a blank line below your
      attribution, learn and love <snip>, and for the love of all things
      polyunsaturated please don't quote the entire bloody digest..

      some here may remember i used to do some moderating, and one of my
      peeves was (and still is) someone posting from .in or thereabouts saying
      "please to provide the information x to do y", as if we were a bunch of
      robotic infoservers. now i'm not as hard-core "RTFM!" as some may be,
      but posts like that that smacked of NO apparent attempt at research just
      irritated me.

      --
      --{-@
    • alanna roe
      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 18, 2010
        On 10/17/2010 08:46 PM, Scott wrote:

        > Hopefully, any Ubuntu users on this forum realize that is simply a silly
        > remark made to a friend.
        >
        > I've always found it silly how the user of one distribution will bash
        > another distribution's users.

        it's kinda funny really... used to be, that scott, godwin and myself
        were the powers that be here, and iinm, i think godwin was the only one
        actively using a redhat distro. scott was already heavily into freebsd,
        and i had long since gone over to the debian camp.

        and nowadays, i use ubuntu. why? why does an old salty dame like me use
        the world's most infamously "droolproof" distro? well, it's because it
        just dropped right into my netbook from a usb stick, and every last
        device on said netbook _just_worked_ without having to hack 30 config
        files and compile this and that.

        while i've gone and smote a few droolproofings built into the distro
        (such as the tiresome netbook launcher, gag), overall as i get older i
        appreciate a system i can just boot up and use without having to ****
        with it for half an hour first. been using linux for eleven years now,
        going on twelve, and ease-of-use means more to this old lady now. :)

        --
        --{-@
        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 18, 2010
          On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 01:40:51AM -0600, alanna roe wrote:
          > On 10/17/2010 08:46 PM, Scott wrote:
          >

          > it's kinda funny really... used to be, that scott, godwin and myself
          > were the powers that be here, and iinm, i think godwin was the only one
          > actively using a redhat distro. scott was already heavily into freebsd,
          > and i had long since gone over to the debian camp.

          Godwin is now also using Ubuntu, but before that, had left RH for
          Slackware. Several other unixgods I know have switched to Ubuntu
          because, after all those years, it was nice to find something that they
          installed which just works, no more spending time to get things exactly
          how they wanted them--though, they will all concede they have given up a
          bit of customization--Ubuntu deserves kudos for their work, not only in
          providing such a system, but also for their work in getting vendors to
          look at Linux as a viable alternative.

          As for me, unfortunately, work has put me right back with RH, which was
          culture shock after FreeBSD. Not only having config files in 4 places
          to FreeBSD's one, but the utter disregard for documentation. Fedora's
          even worse, of course, with its We're bleeding edge, and the users can
          look through the release notes to find how we've totally changed things,
          and ignoring the POLA (Principle of Least Astonishment). In fairness,
          that's not universal, but the PackageKit maintainer's decision that
          those pesky passwords aren't necessary to upgraded installed packages,
          for example, seems to be a well kept secret.

          > and nowadays, i use ubuntu. why? why does an old salty dame like me use
          > the world's most infamously "droolproof" distro? well, it's because it
          > just dropped right into my netbook from a usb stick, and every last
          > device on said netbook _just_worked_ without having to hack 30 config
          > files and compile this and that.

          See above. Actually, I remember you switching over to Debian from RH,
          so going to Ubuntu wasn't that big a jump.

          > while i've gone and smote a few droolproofings built into the distro
          > (such as the tiresome netbook launcher, gag), overall as i get older i
          > appreciate a system i can just boot up and use without having to ****
          > with it for half an hour first. been using linux for eleven years now,
          > going on twelve, and ease-of-use means more to this old lady now. :)

          I also want my hardware to Just Work(TM), but I still find that to me,
          I prefer a bit more freedom and control. On the other hand, I save my
          fluxbox and openbox config files, as welll as my others, such as muttrc,
          so that I don't have to painfully redo them every time.

        • thad_floryan
          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 18, 2010
            --- In redhat@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:
            > [...]
            > I also want my hardware to Just Work(TM), but I still find that to me,
            > I prefer a bit more freedom and control. On the other hand, I save my
            > fluxbox and openbox config files, as welll as my others, such as
            > muttrc, so that I don't have to painfully redo them every time.

            Ditto. My .emacs (its startup config) is basically unchanged since the
            early 1980s (I just keep copying it from system to system and it "just
            works" on UNIX, Linux and even Cygwin/Windows). The copy from one of
            my 3B1 systems (AT&T UNIX SVR5, circa 1984) differs only in the email
            address; here's a copy of my current one:

            REGULUS bash 1/2380> cat .emacs
            (global-set-key "\b" 'delete-backward-char)
            (global-set-key "\034" 'help-for-help)
            (global-set-key "\C-xv" 'shrink-window)
            (global-set-key "\C-x\\" 'overwrite-mode)
            (global-set-key "\C-x!" 'compare-windows)
            (global-set-key "\C-x%" 'toggle-read-only)
            (global-set-key "\C-x\C-g" 'save-buffers-kill-emacs)
            (global-set-key "\C-x\C-a" 'set-mark-command)
            (global-set-key "\M-#" 'goto-line)
            (global-set-key "\M-s" 'center-line)
            (setq default-major-mode 'fundamental-mode)
            (setq inhibit-startup-message 1)
            (setq user-mail-address "thad@...")
            REGULUS bash 1/2380>

            The old email addresses were like thad@sri-kl (no domains back then)
            and UUCP style such as "..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad" and also
            "kubota!thadlabs!thad" per:

            <http://groups.google.com/group/sci.math/msg/d6c891302914fd84>
            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 18, 2010
              On 18Oct2010 06:15, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:
              | On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 01:40:51AM -0600, alanna roe wrote:
              | > On 10/17/2010 08:46 PM, Scott wrote:
              | > it's kinda funny really... used to be, that scott, godwin and myself
              | > were the powers that be here, and iinm, i think godwin was the only one
              | > actively using a redhat distro. scott was already heavily into freebsd,
              | > and i had long since gone over to the debian camp.
              |
              | Godwin is now also using Ubuntu, but before that, had left RH for
              | Slackware. Several other unixgods I know have switched to Ubuntu
              | because, after all those years, it was nice to find something that they
              | installed which just works, [...]
              | As for me, unfortunately, work has put me right back with RH, which was
              | culture shock after FreeBSD. Not only having config files in 4 places
              | to FreeBSD's one, but the utter disregard for documentation. Fedora's
              | even worse, of course, with its We're bleeding edge, and the users can
              | look through the release notes to find how we've totally changed things,
              [...]
              | > and nowadays, i use ubuntu. why? why does an old salty dame like me use
              | > the world's most infamously "droolproof" distro? well, it's because it
              | > just dropped right into my netbook from a usb stick, and every last
              | > device on said netbook _just_worked_ without having to hack 30 config
              | > files and compile this and that.
              | >
              | See above. Actually, I remember you switching over to Debian from RH,
              | so going to Ubuntu wasn't that big a jump.

              We've been using RedHat at my work for quite a while; at least it's very
              stable post install. (Mostly; they've broken things for us once or twice
              over the years.) Of course, stability also means "old", particularly
              things like python versions (2.4! 2.4?!?!)

              I've been using MacOSX on my laptop (Macbook Air from work) for a few
              years (Macs are BSD inside and really do Just Work for the most part -
              of course they have the advantage of single-vendor hardware), RedHat in
              most servers, Gentoo on the home server, Fedora on my home occasional
              desktop. We've been using OpenBSD for firewalls (highly secure, and
              I will _never_ use iptables by choice again after using pf), and some
              FreeBSD as well (still has pf, and OpenBSD didn't like some new hardware).

              I finally broke my much-upgraded-with-yum fedora system and will be
              putting FreeBSD on it when I get around to rebuilding it; FreeBSD's been
              a real pleasure to setup and use.

              | > while i've gone and smote a few droolproofings built into the distro
              | > (such as the tiresome netbook launcher, gag), overall as i get older i
              | > appreciate a system i can just boot up and use without having to ****
              | > with it for half an hour first. been using linux for eleven years now,
              | > going on twelve, and ease-of-use means more to this old lady now. :)
              |
              | I also want my hardware to Just Work(TM), but I still find that to me,
              | I prefer a bit more freedom and control. On the other hand, I save my
              | fluxbox and openbox config files, as welll as my others, such as muttrc,
              | so that I don't have to painfully redo them every time.

              I too keep my personal account the same on all my machines, and in fact
              moved almost all my config files sideways into a ~/rc subdir to make
              revision control and the rsync-to-a-machine easy. A quick look shows
              that my oldest unchanged handwritten file is my lesskey, which dates
              from 1993 at least. I've got terminfo files from 1989 it seems...

              Cheers,
              --
              Cameron Simpson <cs@...> DoD#743
              http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

              Mac OS X. Because making Unix user-friendly is easier than debugging Windows.
              - Mike Dawson, Macintosh Systems Administrator and Consultation.
              mdawson@... http://herowars.onestop.net