Re: [redhat] how to mount NTFS file of window in Redhat

  • J
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 17, 2010
      On Sun, Oct 17, 2010 at 19:38, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:
      > On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 12:07:41PM +0530, Sriharsha Kalluru wrote:
      >> Hi Scott/ Babbar,
      >
      > Yeah, I know.
      >
      > Folks, while top posting has become more and more common, not only does
      > it make it far more difficult to figure out what anyone is talking
      > about, it also begins to make it impossible to figure out who asked
      > what.

      I forgot you were on this list... what's up with all the messages
      dated from Sept? Were they lost in the queue or something?

      and yeah, I know, I threadjacked but at least I didn't top post...
      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 17, 2010
        On Sun, Oct 17, 2010 at 09:17:30PM -0400, J wrote:

        > On Sun, Oct 17, 2010 at 19:38, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:
        > > On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 12:07:41PM +0530, Sriharsha Kalluru wrote:
        > >> Hi Scott/ Babbar,
        > >
        > > Yeah, I know.
        > >
        > > Folks, while top posting has become more and more common, not only does
        > > it make it far more difficult to figure out what anyone is talking
        > > about, it also begins to make it impossible to figure out who asked
        > > what.
        >
        > I forgot you were on this list... what's up with all the messages
        > dated from Sept? Were they lost in the queue or something?

        I think I'm one of the owners--I suspect some other mod approved some
        in the queue, but that's just a guess.

        > and yeah, I know, I threadjacked but at least I didn't top post...

        Meh, you're an Ubuntu user, I don't think they know better. :)

        Xander: We're right behind you, only further back.
        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 17, 2010
          On 17Oct2010 21:37, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:
          | On Sun, Oct 17, 2010 at 09:17:30PM -0400, J wrote:
          | > >
          | > > Yeah, I know.
          | > >
          | > > Folks, while top posting has become more and more common, not only does
          | > > it make it far more difficult to figure out what anyone is talking
          | > > about, it also begins to make it impossible to figure out who asked
          | > > what.
          | >
          | > I forgot you were on this list... what's up with all the messages
          | > dated from Sept? Were they lost in the queue or something?
          |
          | I think I'm one of the owners--I suspect some other mod approved some
          | in the queue, but that's just a guess.

          That was me; figured I'd been slack for too long. I approved a few
          things before really thinking about how mega old they were. I also
          tossed some spam and rejected a buch of clueless or vague posts and
          flamed one user for being too lazy to spell ("u", "ur" etc - ugh).

          Cheers,
          --
          Cameron Simpson <cs@...> DoD#743
          http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

          alt.flame Special Forces: Defenders of the net - whether it deserves it or not.
        • J
          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 17, 2010
            On Sun, Oct 17, 2010 at 22:01, Cameron Simpson <cs@...> wrote:

            > That was me; figured I'd been slack for too long. I approved a few
            > things before really thinking about how mega old they were. I also
            > tossed some spam and rejected a buch of clueless or vague posts and
            > flamed one user for being too lazy to spell ("u", "ur" etc - ugh).

            Oh hey there Cameron...

            Heh... it's reunion day on Redhat@ I guess :-)

            For the record, I wasn't complaining, I figured something like that
            had happened, just curious ;-)

            And Scott:

            "Meh, you're an Ubuntu user, I don't think they know better. :)"

            I resemble that remark, sir.
            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 17, 2010
              On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 01:01:19PM +1100, Cameron Simpson wrote:
              > On 17Oct2010 21:37, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:
              > | On Sun, Oct 17, 2010 at 09:17:30PM -0400, J wrote:
              > | >
              > | > I forgot you were on this list... what's up with all the messages

              > | > dated from Sept? Were they lost in the queue or something?
              > |
              > | I think I'm one of the owners--I suspect some other mod approved some
              > | in the queue, but that's just a guess.
              >
              > That was me; figured I'd been slack for too long. I approved a few
              > things before really thinking about how mega old they were. I also
              > tossed some spam and rejected a buch of clueless or vague posts and
              > flamed one user for being too lazy to spell ("u", "ur" etc - ugh).

              I usually just let it sit in the queue till it expires.

              Not the best way, I freely admit. We probably need more active
              moderators. :)

              Buffy: See, this is a school. And we have students and they check
              out books and then they learn things.
              Giles: I was beginning to suspect that was a myth.
              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 17, 2010
                On Sun, Oct 17, 2010 at 10:38:21PM -0400, J wrote:

                > For the record, I wasn't complaining, I figured something like that
                > had happened, just curious ;-)
                >
                > And Scott:
                >
                > "Meh, you're an Ubuntu user, I don't think they know better. :)"
                >
                > I resemble that remark, sir.

                Hopefully, any Ubuntu users on this forum realize that is simply a silly
                remark made to a friend.

                I've always found it silly how the user of one distribution will bash
                another distribution's users.

                Willow: I don't care if it is an orgy of death, there's
                still such a thing as a napkin.
              • J
                Message 7 of 21 , Oct 17, 2010
                  On Sun, Oct 17, 2010 at 22:46, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:
                  > On Sun, Oct 17, 2010 at 10:38:21PM -0400, J wrote:
                  >> And Scott:
                  >>
                  >> "Meh, you're an Ubuntu user, I don't think they know better.  :)"
                  >>
                  >> I resemble that remark, sir.
                  >
                  > Hopefully, any Ubuntu users on this forum realize that is simply a silly
                  > remark made to a friend.
                  >
                  > I've always found it silly how the user of one distribution will bash
                  > another distribution's users.

                  Yeah, but man how fondly I remember the great Flame Wars... I was in
                  many major conflicts on those killing fields :-)

                  And as said friend, I'll add that no offense was taken at all.. after
                  all, I'm not just a user... :-)

                  Anyway, you can't be part of a technical internst mailing list without
                  having a thick skin anyway... heh... though I do derive great
                  enjoyment from people who get bent out of shape over small things.
                  It's a form of Schadenfreude...

                  Night all :-)
                  Message 8 of 21 , Oct 17, 2010
                    On 17Oct2010 22:44, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:
                    | On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 01:01:19PM +1100, Cameron Simpson wrote:
                    | > That was me; figured I'd been slack for too long. I approved a few
                    | > things before really thinking about how mega old they were. I also
                    | > tossed some spam and rejected a buch of clueless or vague posts and
                    | > flamed one user for being too lazy to spell ("u", "ur" etc - ugh).
                    |
                    | I usually just let it sit in the queue till it expires.
                    |
                    | Not the best way, I freely admit. We probably need more active
                    | moderators. :)

                    I think we should at least always delete-as-spam the spam.
                    That way other mods don't have to wade through it and can consider the
                    pending items with less pain.
                    --
                    Cameron Simpson <cs@...> DoD#743
                  • thad_floryan
                    Message 9 of 21 , Oct 17, 2010
                      --- In redhat@yahoogroups.com, Cameron Simpson <cs@...> wrote:
                      > [...]
                      > That was me; figured I'd been slack for too long. I approved a few
                      > things before really thinking about how mega old they were. I also
                      > tossed some spam and rejected a buch of clueless or vague posts and
                      > flamed one user for being too lazy to spell ("u", "ur" etc - ugh).

                      That's good! :-)

                      Here's what I include when I see such queued in the linux group:

                      (1)
                      A: Yes.
                      Q: Does that happen with short messages too?
                      A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
                      Q: Why is it such a bad thing?
                      A: Top-posting.
                      Q: What is the most annoying thing in forums and in e-mail?

                      (2)
                      A: It is contrary to logical thought.
                      Q: Why is top posting bad?

                      (3)
                      A: Yes.
                      > Q: Are you sure?
                      >> A: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.

                      (4)
                      /* Moderator note:
                      * Please inline or bottom post per the posting requirements
                      * you accepted by joining this group:
                      * <http://home.roadrunner.com/~computertaijutsu/linfaq.html>
                      * <http://linux.sgms-centre.com/misc/netiquette.php>
                      * <http://howto-pages.org/posting_style>
                      * <http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html>
                      */
                    • alanna roe
                      Message 10 of 21 , Oct 18, 2010
                        On 10/17/2010 10:46 PM, thad_floryan wrote:

                        > /* Moderator note:
                        > * Please inline or bottom post per the posting requirements
                        > * you accepted by joining this group:
                        > *<http://home.roadrunner.com/~computertaijutsu/linfaq.html>
                        > *<http://linux.sgms-centre.com/misc/netiquette.php>
                        > *<http://howto-pages.org/posting_style>
                        > *<http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html>

                        not to mention, trim your quotes, add a blank line below your
                        attribution, learn and love <snip>, and for the love of all things
                        polyunsaturated please don't quote the entire bloody digest..

                        some here may remember i used to do some moderating, and one of my
                        peeves was (and still is) someone posting from .in or thereabouts saying
                        "please to provide the information x to do y", as if we were a bunch of
                        robotic infoservers. now i'm not as hard-core "RTFM!" as some may be,
                        but posts like that that smacked of NO apparent attempt at research just
                        irritated me.

                        --
                        --{-@
                      • alanna roe
                        Message 11 of 21 , Oct 18, 2010
                          On 10/17/2010 08:46 PM, Scott wrote:

                          > Hopefully, any Ubuntu users on this forum realize that is simply a silly
                          > remark made to a friend.
                          >
                          > I've always found it silly how the user of one distribution will bash
                          > another distribution's users.

                          it's kinda funny really... used to be, that scott, godwin and myself
                          were the powers that be here, and iinm, i think godwin was the only one
                          actively using a redhat distro. scott was already heavily into freebsd,
                          and i had long since gone over to the debian camp.

                          and nowadays, i use ubuntu. why? why does an old salty dame like me use
                          the world's most infamously "droolproof" distro? well, it's because it
                          just dropped right into my netbook from a usb stick, and every last
                          device on said netbook _just_worked_ without having to hack 30 config
                          files and compile this and that.

                          while i've gone and smote a few droolproofings built into the distro
                          (such as the tiresome netbook launcher, gag), overall as i get older i
                          appreciate a system i can just boot up and use without having to ****
                          with it for half an hour first. been using linux for eleven years now,
                          going on twelve, and ease-of-use means more to this old lady now. :)

                          --
                          --{-@
                          Message 12 of 21 , Oct 18, 2010
                            On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 01:40:51AM -0600, alanna roe wrote:
                            > On 10/17/2010 08:46 PM, Scott wrote:
                            >

                            > it's kinda funny really... used to be, that scott, godwin and myself
                            > were the powers that be here, and iinm, i think godwin was the only one
                            > actively using a redhat distro. scott was already heavily into freebsd,
                            > and i had long since gone over to the debian camp.

                            Godwin is now also using Ubuntu, but before that, had left RH for
                            Slackware. Several other unixgods I know have switched to Ubuntu
                            because, after all those years, it was nice to find something that they
                            installed which just works, no more spending time to get things exactly
                            how they wanted them--though, they will all concede they have given up a
                            bit of customization--Ubuntu deserves kudos for their work, not only in
                            providing such a system, but also for their work in getting vendors to
                            look at Linux as a viable alternative.

                            As for me, unfortunately, work has put me right back with RH, which was
                            culture shock after FreeBSD. Not only having config files in 4 places
                            to FreeBSD's one, but the utter disregard for documentation. Fedora's
                            even worse, of course, with its We're bleeding edge, and the users can
                            look through the release notes to find how we've totally changed things,
                            and ignoring the POLA (Principle of Least Astonishment). In fairness,
                            that's not universal, but the PackageKit maintainer's decision that
                            those pesky passwords aren't necessary to upgraded installed packages,
                            for example, seems to be a well kept secret.

                            > and nowadays, i use ubuntu. why? why does an old salty dame like me use
                            > the world's most infamously "droolproof" distro? well, it's because it
                            > just dropped right into my netbook from a usb stick, and every last
                            > device on said netbook _just_worked_ without having to hack 30 config
                            > files and compile this and that.

                            See above. Actually, I remember you switching over to Debian from RH,
                            so going to Ubuntu wasn't that big a jump.

                            > while i've gone and smote a few droolproofings built into the distro
                            > (such as the tiresome netbook launcher, gag), overall as i get older i
                            > appreciate a system i can just boot up and use without having to ****
                            > with it for half an hour first. been using linux for eleven years now,
                            > going on twelve, and ease-of-use means more to this old lady now. :)

                            I also want my hardware to Just Work(TM), but I still find that to me,
                            I prefer a bit more freedom and control. On the other hand, I save my
                            fluxbox and openbox config files, as welll as my others, such as muttrc,
                            so that I don't have to painfully redo them every time.

                          • thad_floryan
                            Message 13 of 21 , Oct 18, 2010
                              --- In redhat@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:
                              > [...]
                              > I also want my hardware to Just Work(TM), but I still find that to me,
                              > I prefer a bit more freedom and control. On the other hand, I save my
                              > fluxbox and openbox config files, as welll as my others, such as
                              > muttrc, so that I don't have to painfully redo them every time.

                              Ditto. My .emacs (its startup config) is basically unchanged since the
                              early 1980s (I just keep copying it from system to system and it "just
                              works" on UNIX, Linux and even Cygwin/Windows). The copy from one of
                              my 3B1 systems (AT&T UNIX SVR5, circa 1984) differs only in the email
                              address; here's a copy of my current one:

                              REGULUS bash 1/2380> cat .emacs
                              (global-set-key "\b" 'delete-backward-char)
                              (global-set-key "\034" 'help-for-help)
                              (global-set-key "\C-xv" 'shrink-window)
                              (global-set-key "\C-x\\" 'overwrite-mode)
                              (global-set-key "\C-x!" 'compare-windows)
                              (global-set-key "\C-x%" 'toggle-read-only)
                              (global-set-key "\C-x\C-g" 'save-buffers-kill-emacs)
                              (global-set-key "\C-x\C-a" 'set-mark-command)
                              (global-set-key "\M-#" 'goto-line)
                              (global-set-key "\M-s" 'center-line)
                              (setq default-major-mode 'fundamental-mode)
                              (setq inhibit-startup-message 1)
                              (setq user-mail-address "thad@...")
                              REGULUS bash 1/2380>

                              The old email addresses were like thad@sri-kl (no domains back then)
                              and UUCP style such as "..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad" and also
                              "kubota!thadlabs!thad" per:

                              <http://groups.google.com/group/sci.math/msg/d6c891302914fd84>
                              Message 14 of 21 , Oct 18, 2010
                                On 18Oct2010 06:15, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:
                                | On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 01:40:51AM -0600, alanna roe wrote:
                                | > On 10/17/2010 08:46 PM, Scott wrote:
                                | > it's kinda funny really... used to be, that scott, godwin and myself
                                | > were the powers that be here, and iinm, i think godwin was the only one
                                | > actively using a redhat distro. scott was already heavily into freebsd,
                                | > and i had long since gone over to the debian camp.
                                |
                                | Godwin is now also using Ubuntu, but before that, had left RH for
                                | Slackware. Several other unixgods I know have switched to Ubuntu
                                | because, after all those years, it was nice to find something that they
                                | installed which just works, [...]
                                | As for me, unfortunately, work has put me right back with RH, which was
                                | culture shock after FreeBSD. Not only having config files in 4 places
                                | to FreeBSD's one, but the utter disregard for documentation. Fedora's
                                | even worse, of course, with its We're bleeding edge, and the users can
                                | look through the release notes to find how we've totally changed things,
                                [...]
                                | > and nowadays, i use ubuntu. why? why does an old salty dame like me use
                                | > the world's most infamously "droolproof" distro? well, it's because it
                                | > just dropped right into my netbook from a usb stick, and every last
                                | > device on said netbook _just_worked_ without having to hack 30 config
                                | > files and compile this and that.
                                | >
                                | See above. Actually, I remember you switching over to Debian from RH,
                                | so going to Ubuntu wasn't that big a jump.

                                We've been using RedHat at my work for quite a while; at least it's very
                                stable post install. (Mostly; they've broken things for us once or twice
                                over the years.) Of course, stability also means "old", particularly
                                things like python versions (2.4! 2.4?!?!)

                                I've been using MacOSX on my laptop (Macbook Air from work) for a few
                                years (Macs are BSD inside and really do Just Work for the most part -
                                of course they have the advantage of single-vendor hardware), RedHat in
                                most servers, Gentoo on the home server, Fedora on my home occasional
                                desktop. We've been using OpenBSD for firewalls (highly secure, and
                                I will _never_ use iptables by choice again after using pf), and some
                                FreeBSD as well (still has pf, and OpenBSD didn't like some new hardware).

                                I finally broke my much-upgraded-with-yum fedora system and will be
                                putting FreeBSD on it when I get around to rebuilding it; FreeBSD's been
                                a real pleasure to setup and use.

                                | > while i've gone and smote a few droolproofings built into the distro
                                | > (such as the tiresome netbook launcher, gag), overall as i get older i
                                | > appreciate a system i can just boot up and use without having to ****
                                | > with it for half an hour first. been using linux for eleven years now,
                                | > going on twelve, and ease-of-use means more to this old lady now. :)
                                |
                                | I also want my hardware to Just Work(TM), but I still find that to me,
                                | I prefer a bit more freedom and control. On the other hand, I save my
                                | fluxbox and openbox config files, as welll as my others, such as muttrc,
                                | so that I don't have to painfully redo them every time.

                                I too keep my personal account the same on all my machines, and in fact
                                moved almost all my config files sideways into a ~/rc subdir to make
                                revision control and the rsync-to-a-machine easy. A quick look shows
                                that my oldest unchanged handwritten file is my lesskey, which dates
                                from 1993 at least. I've got terminfo files from 1989 it seems...

                                Cheers,
                                --
                                Cameron Simpson <cs@...> DoD#743
                                http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

                                Mac OS X. Because making Unix user-friendly is easier than debugging Windows.
                                - Mike Dawson, Macintosh Systems Administrator and Consultation.
                                mdawson@... http://herowars.onestop.net