If in a same Network two DHCP Server is there, then which DHCP server will resp

  • tux.ambarish
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 8, 2010
      If in a same Network two DHCP Server is there, then which DHCP server will respond first to client?
    • Branx86 Gmail
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 8, 2010
        You can not have two dchp servers or they will cancel eachother out and you will not get a ip.

        Sent from Brandon

        On Oct 8, 2010, at 4:09 AM, "tux.ambarish" <tux.ambarish@...> wrote:

        > If in a same Network two DHCP Server is there, then which DHCP server will respond first to client?

      • J
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 8, 2010
          On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 05:09, tux.ambarish <tux.ambarish@...> wrote:
          > If in a same Network  two DHCP Server is there, then which DHCP server will respond first  to client?

          You shouldn't run two DHCP serves on the same network segments.

          This sounds a lot like a class assignment or homework. Please do your
          own research for school...
        • Ahmed Sharif
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 8, 2010
            >On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 9:50 PM, J <dreadpiratejeff@...> wrote:

            >On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 05:09, tux.ambarish <tux.ambarish@...> wrote:
            > If in a same Network two DHCP Server is there, then which DHCP server
            will respond first to client?

            >You shouldn't run two DHCP serves on the same network segments.

            >This sounds a lot like a class assignment or homework. Please do your
            >own research for school...

            I am not quite sure. But I think after getting the broadcast from the DHCP
            client both server will respond with a proposed IP address and lease time.
            It's upon the client to chose one. I don't know on what basis the client
            will prioritize or make the selection. Do your research. If you get
            something good then share with us.

            And obviously you shouldn't run two DHCP serves on the same network
            segments.

            Best of luck.

            Regards,

            Ahmed Sharif

          • Bu Beng Siauw Jin
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 9, 2010
              I'm not really sure whether that's a homework or not but I would like to
              know the answer too. Here's a real life situation.

              I happen to work in a company where it has 2 buildings. Each building has
              it's own servers, dhcp, domain controller, etc. These 2 buildings are
              separate by another building which own by other company but people in those
              2 buildings need to share files & network folder. So, my predecessor
              installed wireless network (without router function) to connect. First
              building use 192.168.1.0/24 for it's network and second building use
              192.168.2.0/22. Problem was, users in first building sometimes got IP from
              second building and users in second building got IP from first building
              which then create problem such as network printing.

              I still trying to find best solution for this problem. BTW, the OS are
              Windows Server 2003 and not linux.

              On Sat, Oct 9, 2010 at 1:04 AM, Ahmed Sharif <ahmed.sharif.bd@...>wrote:

              > >On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 9:50 PM, J <dreadpiratejeff@...> wrote:
              >
              > >On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 05:09, tux.ambarish <tux.ambarish@...>
              > wrote:
              > > If in a same Network two DHCP Server is there, then which DHCP server
              > will respond first to client?
              >
              > >You shouldn't run two DHCP serves on the same network segments.
              >
              > >This sounds a lot like a class assignment or homework. Please do your
              > >own research for school...
              >

              > I am not quite sure. But I think after getting the broadcast from the DHCP
              > client both server will respond with a proposed IP address and lease time.
              > It's upon the client to chose one. I don't know on what basis the client
              > will prioritize or make the selection. Do your research. If you get
              > something good then share with us.
              >
              > And obviously you shouldn't run two DHCP serves on the same network
              > segments.
              >
              > Best of luck.
              >
              > Regards,
              >
              > Ahmed Sharif

            • mrkcoconnell
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 9, 2010
                --- In redhat@yahoogroups.com, J <dreadpiratejeff@...> wrote:

                > On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 05:09, tux.ambarish <tux.ambarish@...> wrote:
                > > If in a same Network  two DHCP Server is there, then which DHCP server will respond first  to client?
                >
                > You shouldn't run two DHCP serves on the same network segments.
                >
                > This sounds a lot like a class assignment or homework. Please do your
                > own research for school...

                Setting up multiple DHCP servers is not all that unusual, this provides fault tolerance. As long as you don't overlap the range of IP numbers that shouldn't be a problem. DHCP uses a handshake of Discovery, Offer, Request, and Acknowledgment. If my memory serves me right, the first DCHP to answer a request handles the lease.
              • Suhas Sonavane
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 9, 2010
                  if there are 2dhcp server then which will respond that we cant predict
                  but we can implement 2dhcp server in single LAN.

                  --
                  Thank You And Regards,
                  Suhas Sonavane.
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 11, 2010
                    On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 12:57 AM, mrkcoconnell <mrkcoconnell@...>wrote:

                    > --- In redhat@yahoogroups.com <redhat%40yahoogroups.com>, J
                    > <dreadpiratejeff@...> wrote:
                    >

                    > > On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 05:09, tux.ambarish <tux.ambarish@...> wrote:
                    > > > If in a same Network two DHCP Server is there, then which DHCP server
                    > will respond first to client?
                    > >
                    > > You shouldn't run two DHCP serves on the same network segments.
                    > >
                    > > This sounds a lot like a class assignment or homework. Please do your
                    > > own research for school...
                    > >
                    > Setting up multiple DHCP servers is not all that unusual, this provides
                    > fault tolerance. As long as you don't overlap the range of IP numbers that
                    > shouldn't be a problem. DHCP uses a handshake of Discovery, Offer, Request,
                    > and Acknowledgment. If my memory serves me right, the first DCHP to answer a
                    > request handles the lease.
                    >
                    > It might be of your interest:-
                    http://www.madboa.com/geek/dhcp-failover/

                    Regards,
                    Rajveer Singh

                  • Branx86 Gmail
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 17, 2010
                      How are the two buildings connected? Crossover cable, VPN,router to router , dsl ,cable modem, straight Ethernet cable etc. If one building is on 193.168.2.* and the other building is on 192.168.1.* it's not possible for dhcp to configure the subnet of the computers of each building unless the to LANs are connect by a switch or crossover cable which is highly unlikely. Please give more info.

                      Sent from Brandon's iPhone