need help in creating new user

  • Raja Shekar
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 13 7:45 AM
      Hi all,
      I am pretty new to RedHat. I tried to create new user account
      in RedHat 9 using command line.

      I gave following commands as super user:
      *useradd -u 515 -m -d /home/raj -s /bin/csh raj*
      *userpasswd raj ( To create password first time)*
      *
      *
      After using these two commands I can able to login in the terminal, but I
      could not able to log in through log in screen vch shows after booting up
      system.
      When I do create new user account through GUI ( systemsetting > user and
      groups),its working perfectly.

      I noticed the difference that it is writing encrypted password in *
      /etc/shadow* file through GUI but through command line, it is writing like
      *!! * in password entry.
      *
      *
      *Any reply would really appreciate.*

      Thanks & regards
      --
      Rajashekar

      --
      Rajashekar

    • Hyatt, Dan
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 14 8:29 AM
        ________________________________

[...]

        -- RedHat 9 is so old, I don't remember what is going on. Why are you
        using csh instead of bash? I would create users without the arguments
        and test them, adding one of your arguments at a time until you find the
        one tripping you up.

        If you can login from the command line, you should be able to log in
        from the GUI, they both run the same commands under the covers.

        I would recommend getting Fedora which is free, or get a temporary copy
        of RedHat to install.

        This e-mail and its attachments may contain Forest Laboratories, Inc. proprietary information that is privileged, confidential or subject to copyright belonging to Forest Laboratories, Inc. This e-mail is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering this e-mail to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying or action taken in relation to the contents of and attachments to this e-mail is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the original and any copy of this e-mail and any printout.

      • Asmaa Sh
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 14 1:23 PM
          useradd   -md  /home/asmaa   -s /bin/bash   asmaa

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 15 8:14 AM
            --- In redhat@yahoogroups.com, Raja Shekar <rajashekar333@...> wrote:

            > Hi all,
            > I am pretty new to RedHat. I tried to create new user account
            > in RedHat 9 using command line.
            >
            > I gave following commands as super user:
            > *useradd -u 515 -m -d /home/raj -s /bin/csh raj*
            > *userpasswd raj ( To create password first time)*
            > *
            > *
            > After using these two commands I can able to login in the terminal, but I
            > could not able to log in through log in screen vch shows after booting up
            > system.
            > When I do create new user account through GUI ( systemsetting > user and
            > groups),its working perfectly.
            >
            > I noticed the difference that it is writing encrypted password in *
            > /etc/shadow* file through GUI but through command line, it is writing like
            > *!! * in password entry.
            > *
            > *
            > *Any reply would really appreciate.*
            >
            > Thanks & regards
            > --
            > Rajashekar
            I would change your default script to BASH. There is no way of guessing what changes you have introduced with a different script. You may be bypassing all kinds of setup in /etc and ~/home. The GUI interface requires all kinds of setup and is not noted for tolerance to changes.