Re: [redhat] stopping the gnome-session

    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 31 6:42 PM
      On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 05:40:03PM -0700, Patricia Wilson wrote:
      > On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 3:15 AM, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:
      >

      > > On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 10:05:03PM -0700, Patricia Wilson wrote:
      > > > Thank, you. It seems like a painful way to have to do it but I can see it
      > > > would work. BTW, it is Fedora13 64 bit running on an x86.
      > >
      > > Hi Patricia,
      > >
      > > Please do not top post. Please take a look at ...
      > >

      > Sorry, it is the gmail way of doing things and I haven't been able to figure
      > out how to get it to bottom post by default so I get out of the habit.

      The way you are doing it is perfect, in line posting. (Strict bottom
      posting can be just as bad.) The most important thing, IMHO, is
      trimming, which tends to, if you do it, influence one to use inline
      posting.) Most mail clients start at the top, which makes sense, in the
      same way you read a letter, then answer this part, then that part.

      > Thank you for the additional information. As a matter of fact, I was a
      > Ubuntu user until it started hanging up at odd intervals on my old computer.
      > Neither I nor the friends or forums I went to could get it to work so I
      > caved and went with Fedora. Now, Fedora worked fine on the old machine but I
      > have to admit that it wasn't as user-friendly as Ubuntu. Now that I have the
      > new machine perhaps I should just go back to the old way again as
      > paradoxical as that may sound. You are doing a good job of moving me in that
      > direction.

      Heh, Jeff (one of the mods here, who now works for Canonical), will be
      happy.
      Seriously, though, I'm not sure if one is better than the other. I have
      Ubuntu on my wife's netbook, but Fedora is making efforts to become more
      of a user's distribution. They have always been a bit schizophrenic,
      feeling they are cutting edge and for the techie, while, more and more,
      aiming at the desktop user who is just looking for a Windows substitute.
      Many of my complaints about Fedora can be aimed at Ubuntu as well--with
      it, too, it's difficult to get it to boot into text mode, like Fedora,
      its defaults tie various essential system services to the GUI, such as
      networking and sound.

      The difference (for me), is that as my job is all CentOS based, I use
      Fedora on my workstation, and at home. So, I push it a lot harder,
      customizing it to my needs, whereas, with Ubuntu, I just throw it on
      something so that if my wife (or a few of my users), have questions, I
      can answer them.

      To me, they are more alike than different. Usually, in the end, one
      decides they like a particular one for no real reason--it just feels
      better.

      Anya: Listen, I have this little project I'm working on, and I
      heard you were the person to ask if...
      Willow: Yeah, that's me. Reliable dog-geyser-person.
    • david mouchoir
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 11, 2010
        one solution is to log root on console
        ctrl-alt-F2 (or 3 4, ...)
        log root
        switch to runlevel 3 -> init 3
        install your driver
        then go back to runlevel 5
        init 5
        ++

        De : Scott <scottro@...>
        À : redhat@yahoogroups.com
        Envoyé le : Dim 1 août 2010, 3h 42min 25s
        Objet : Re: [redhat] stopping the gnome-session