Re: [redhat] stopping the gnome-session

  • Patricia Wilson
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 30 10:05 PM
      Thank, you. It seems like a painful way to have to do it but I can see it
      would work. BTW, it is Fedora13 64 bit running on an x86.

      --
      Patricia Wilson
      Apache Junction, AZ

      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 31 3:15 AM
        On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 10:05:03PM -0700, Patricia Wilson wrote:
        > Thank, you. It seems like a painful way to have to do it but I can see it
        > would work. BTW, it is Fedora13 64 bit running on an x86.

        Hi Patricia,

        Please do not top post. Please take a look at

        http://linux.sgms-centre.com/misc/netiquette.php

        and

        http://howto-pages.org/posting_style

        And for everyone---

        Although there are sometimes circumstances where it's unavoidable, many
        times top posted, untrimmed messages will simply not be approved, but
        will just sit in the approval queue until they expire. If you want
        your questions answered, make it easy for those most likely to be able
        to answer them, and think of it as a conversation.

        A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
        Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
        A: Top-posting.

        Simply replying at the bottom of an email is almost as bad. Trim, and
        answer point A below point A, point B below point B, etc.

        It isn't just you--the last few posts from people new to this list have
        done the same thing, but I try to never lecture unless I'm also
        answering a question.

        Now, back to your post, if using Fedora (we're working very very hard to
        make Ubuntu number one) 13, as in Friday, The, it becomes more
        difficult.

        Firstly, they have killed--although this was an xorg decision, many
        distributions have had the intelligence to not follow it--Fedora only
        follows upstream (that is a program's developers decisions), when it's a
        moronic one. For example, their firefox now installs, just like any
        Windows trojan, something like 60 language packs, regardless of whether
        you've specified that don't want extensions checked, updated, or
        installed without approval.

        At any rate, some folks at xorg decided that the old ctl+alt+backspace,
        that had been used to kill xorg for something like 20 years, was too
        easy to type by mistake. It can be fixed, but by default, it no longer
        works. (Although in this case, as you noted, it will only go back into
        Gnome.)

        In another moronic decision, despite many arguments against it, and no
        arguments in its favor, Fedora also has a 0 second time out in booting
        by default. Otherwise, it's simple to just take the long kernel line,
        (the line beginning with kernel) in grub, and edit as it boots, just
        adding 3 to the end of the line (that is, where it says rhgb quiet.)
        However, Fedora's decision to make it 0 time out means that you have to,
        just like Windows, start tapping F8 as you get past the BIOS screen.
        Actually, any key will do, but as they want to be like Windows, treat
        'em that way.

        They've also done Windows one better. No more of those pesky passwords.
        The developer of PackageKit, their GUI package manager, made it to the
        front page of slashdot by saying, "I don't much care how Unix has done
        things for 40 years," in answer to why one should require authorization
        for updating and installing.

        After that one, he was apparently forced
        to at least make installing a new package require authorization, but
        updating doesn't--in the bug report, he said that if it was a problem,
        use another distribution, to which one correspondent on the report said
        fine, they were switching to Ubuntu. I suspect this one too, the lack
        of requiring passwords for updating installed packages--something which
        even MS and Apple require--will eventually come back to get them too,
        but until then, it will stay this way.

        Sorry about the rant, but Fedora is one of those that makes some BSD
        people say, "Linux is for those who hate Windows while BSD is for those
        who love Unix."

        Anyway, one slightly easier way to do this would be to first edit
        /etc/grub.conf. You'll see the default time out is 0. Change it to 3 or
        5 or whatever number of seconds you think you'll need.

        Upon reboot, you'll see the menu. Hit e as in edit.

        Then, use the arrow key to get to the kernel line, the very long line
        that begins with kernel and probably ends with rhgb quiet. Hit e again.
        You'll now have that line, and be able to add to the end of it. (Hit
        ctl+e to get to the end.)

        Then add, after the rhgb quiet, 3

        That is, just the number 3. That will cause it to boot into text mode,
        and you won't have to play with editing /etc/inittab. I should have
        mentioned that method last night, but was very tired and not thinking
        clearly.

        Willow: I don't care if it is an orgy of death, there's
        still such a thing as a napkin.
      • Patricia Wilson
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 31 5:40 PM
          On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 3:15 AM, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:

          > On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 10:05:03PM -0700, Patricia Wilson wrote:
          > > Thank, you. It seems like a painful way to have to do it but I can see it
          > > would work. BTW, it is Fedora13 64 bit running on an x86.
          >
          > Hi Patricia,
          >
          > Please do not top post. Please take a look at ...

          Sorry, it is the gmail way of doing things and I haven't been able to figure
          out how to get it to bottom post by default so I get out of the habit.

          Thank you for the additional information. As a matter of fact, I was a
          Ubuntu user until it started hanging up at odd intervals on my old computer.
          Neither I nor the friends or forums I went to could get it to work so I
          caved and went with Fedora. Now, Fedora worked fine on the old machine but I
          have to admit that it wasn't as user-friendly as Ubuntu. Now that I have the
          new machine perhaps I should just go back to the old way again as
          paradoxical as that may sound. You are doing a good job of moving me in that
          direction.

          --
          Patricia Wilson
          Apache Junction, AZ

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 31 6:42 PM
            On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 05:40:03PM -0700, Patricia Wilson wrote:
            > On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 3:15 AM, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:
            >

            > > On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 10:05:03PM -0700, Patricia Wilson wrote:
            > > > Thank, you. It seems like a painful way to have to do it but I can see it
            > > > would work. BTW, it is Fedora13 64 bit running on an x86.
            > >
            > > Hi Patricia,
            > >
            > > Please do not top post. Please take a look at ...
            > >

            > Sorry, it is the gmail way of doing things and I haven't been able to figure
            > out how to get it to bottom post by default so I get out of the habit.

            The way you are doing it is perfect, in line posting. (Strict bottom
            posting can be just as bad.) The most important thing, IMHO, is
            trimming, which tends to, if you do it, influence one to use inline
            posting.) Most mail clients start at the top, which makes sense, in the
            same way you read a letter, then answer this part, then that part.

            > Thank you for the additional information. As a matter of fact, I was a
            > Ubuntu user until it started hanging up at odd intervals on my old computer.
            > Neither I nor the friends or forums I went to could get it to work so I
            > caved and went with Fedora. Now, Fedora worked fine on the old machine but I
            > have to admit that it wasn't as user-friendly as Ubuntu. Now that I have the
            > new machine perhaps I should just go back to the old way again as
            > paradoxical as that may sound. You are doing a good job of moving me in that
            > direction.

            Heh, Jeff (one of the mods here, who now works for Canonical), will be
            happy.
            Seriously, though, I'm not sure if one is better than the other. I have
            Ubuntu on my wife's netbook, but Fedora is making efforts to become more
            of a user's distribution. They have always been a bit schizophrenic,
            feeling they are cutting edge and for the techie, while, more and more,
            aiming at the desktop user who is just looking for a Windows substitute.
            Many of my complaints about Fedora can be aimed at Ubuntu as well--with
            it, too, it's difficult to get it to boot into text mode, like Fedora,
            its defaults tie various essential system services to the GUI, such as
            networking and sound.

            The difference (for me), is that as my job is all CentOS based, I use
            Fedora on my workstation, and at home. So, I push it a lot harder,
            customizing it to my needs, whereas, with Ubuntu, I just throw it on
            something so that if my wife (or a few of my users), have questions, I
            can answer them.

            To me, they are more alike than different. Usually, in the end, one
            decides they like a particular one for no real reason--it just feels
            better.

            Anya: Listen, I have this little project I'm working on, and I
            heard you were the person to ask if...
            Willow: Yeah, that's me. Reliable dog-geyser-person.
          • david mouchoir
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 11, 2010
              one solution is to log root on console
              ctrl-alt-F2 (or 3 4, ...)
              log root
              switch to runlevel 3 -> init 3
              install your driver
              then go back to runlevel 5
              init 5
              ++

              De : Scott <scottro@...>
              À : redhat@yahoogroups.com
              Envoyé le : Dim 1 août 2010, 3h 42min 25s
              Objet : Re: [redhat] stopping the gnome-session