Redhat Download

  • Jeffrey
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 10, 2010
      Ok, here is the scoop... I have 3 laptops running windows and two desktops running windows also. All from XP PRO too Windows 7. I want to convert one of my desktops to a Linux machine. I heard Redhat is the way to go so that is what I want to do. I figure this desktop sits around and does nothing so what the HECK! I have been searching around all over the place on how and where to download the needed files for the OS but keep coming too LOTS of $$$$. One site wanted over $300 for the program. Ommm, not going to happen. So, where can I go to download it all for free or small fee??
    • thad_floryan
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 10, 2010
        --- In redhat@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey" <n9mxtham@...> wrote:

        > Ok, here is the scoop... I have 3 laptops running windows and two
        > desktops running windows also. All from XP PRO too Windows 7. I
        > want to convert one of my desktops to a Linux machine. I heard Redhat
        > is the way to go so that is what I want to do. I figure this desktop
        > sits around and does nothing so what the HECK! I have been searching
        > around all over the place on how and where to download the needed
        > files for the OS but keep coming too LOTS of $$$$. One site wanted
        > over $300 for the program. Ommm, not going to happen. So, where can
        > I go to download it all for free or small fee??

        CentOS is Red Hat Enterprise Linux rebranded (i.e., "white box special")
        and totally free:

        <http://centos.org/>
      • Jeffrey
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 10, 2010
          Thanks for the info will try it!

          On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 7:41 PM, thad_floryan <thad@...> wrote:
          > --- In redhat@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey" <n9mxtham@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> Ok, here is the scoop... I have 3 laptops running windows and two
          >> desktops running windows also.  All from XP PRO too Windows 7.  I
          >> want to convert one of my desktops to a Linux machine.  I heard Redhat
          >> is the way to go so that is what I want to do.  I figure this desktop
          >> sits around and does nothing so what the HECK!  I have been searching
          >> around all over the place on how and where to download the needed
          >> files for the OS but keep coming too LOTS of $$$$.  One site wanted
          >> over $300 for the program.  Ommm, not going to happen.  So, where can
          >> I go to download it all for free or small fee??
          >
          > CentOS is Red Hat Enterprise Linux rebranded (i.e., "white box special")
          > and totally free:
          >
          > <http://centos.org/>

          MHCMG VE Testing 4th Saturday of every month!  For more info join

                                  APRS INFO
          N9MXT I-GATE/DIGI
          N9MXT-9 Mobile
          N9MXT-10 BASE

          73 de N9MXT
        • CJE
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 10, 2010
            What I did was to buy a book about switching to / using Redhat at the
            bookstore, Barnes & Noble, and it included a CD with Redhat on it. It
            may have been two CD's. The book was maybe $20. or so.

            stephen
            -----------

            On Jul 10, 2010, at 3:22 PM, Jeffrey wrote:

            Ok, here is the scoop... I have 3 laptops running windows and two
            desktops running windows also. All from XP PRO too Windows 7. I want
            to convert one of my desktops to a Linux machine. I heard Redhat is
            the way to go so that is what I want to do. I figure this desktop sits
            around and does nothing so what the HECK! I have been searching around
            all over the place on how and where to download the needed files for
            the OS but keep coming too LOTS of $$$$. One site wanted over $300 for
            the program. Ommm, not going to happen. So, where can I go to download
            it all for free or small fee??
          • Anderson Kaiser
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 11, 2010
              2010/7/10 Jeffrey <n9mxtham@...>

              > Ok, here is the scoop... I have 3 laptops running windows and two desktops running windows also. All from XP PRO too Windows 7. I want to convert one of my desktops to a Linux machine. I heard Redhat is the way to go so that is what I want to do. I figure this desktop sits around and does nothing so what the HECK! I have been searching around all over the place on how and where to download the needed files for the OS but keep coming too LOTS of $$$$. One site wanted over $300 for the program. Ommm, not going to happen. So, where can I go to download it all for free or small fee??

              If you need to do some tests, you can ask directly to a Red Hat Vendor
              about one Trial Subscription. This Subscription able you to use one
              mounth of download packages from Red Hat Network.

              Regards

              --
              Anderson Kaiser
              alpkaiser@...
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 11, 2010
                http://www.centos.org/ this is the free version of red hat enterprise.
                it's just missing some of their special apps and the tech support,
                that's what the money pays for, but centos is the same os without the
                extras. I run centos on most of my servers, and soon to be my desktops.
                updates are released less often, so there's less of a chance of
                something going wrong. if you want a very similar os, but with all the
                desktop extras and more frequent updates, try fedora,
                http://fedoraproject.org/ there is also ubuntu, http://www.ubuntu.com/
                which comes from a different branch of the linux tree of life, debian,
                but also a very good os. this is the most common linux os at the moment,
                but my os of choice is still centos, just for the simplicity and piece
                of mind that it gives me.

                tell your friends about me *I point to a tip jar*
              • Dan
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 11, 2010
                  you have several options...
                  First on the RHEL

                  You can go with Fedora, which is free, and is newer releases then RHEL
                  (RedHat chooses which Fedora version to compile into the newest RHEL).
                  This might be the best for what you are looking for.

                  THen there is Centos, Centos compiles the Fedora version to best match
                  RedHat release.

                  Then there is RedHat, you should be able to buy it direct from Redhat
                  with an $80 annual subscription for desktop. The primary difference
                  between desktop and server is what packages are included...but you will
                  have access to all the redhat yum repository and rpm that do not require
                  additional license.

                  Then there is yet another curve. You can download VMWare to run on
                  windows XP, which will allow you to install RedHat within a virtual
                  machine on your laptop.... server version is free, desktop version with
                  all the graphics and such is $80 a year I beleive.

                  Remember RedHat, Fedora, and Centos are all compiled against the same
                  source code. They are 99% the same...
                  RedHat charges you for RedHat patches and support.
                  Fedora has the strong user community and is free, and has a wealth of
                  rpms and Yumm repositories.

                  Also, you will want to go online to redhat and look at thier redhat 5
                  system admin manual, I usually find it on google when I need it.

                  Does this answer your questions...do you have 50 more now???

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 18, 2010
                    On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 12:12:42AM -0400, CJE wrote:

                    > What I did was to buy a book about switching to / using Redhat at the
                    > bookstore, Barnes & Noble, and it included a CD with Redhat on it. It
                    > may have been two CD's. The book was maybe $20. or so.

                    Folks, once again. Please read the links I posted earlier,
                    which I will repeat.

                    http://linux.sgms-centre.com/misc/netiquette.php

                    http://howto-pages.org/posting_style

                    Note that most of the time, if you persist in ignoring this, your post

                    will never make it to the list, but will simply sit in queue till Yahoo
                    automatically deletes it.

                    Some folks get confused because in business, top posting is usually the
                    norm, and has some benefit--though as one who gets 100 line emails with
                    yes, go ahead, and has to sift through lines and lines of irrelevent
                    information, I think it's just an excuse for laziness most of the time.

                    Now, as for the information given above--any book with a RH CD is
                    probably antiquated. Around RH 9, which is from around 2002 or 2003, in
                    other words, ancient in software terms, RH began releasing while
                    charging for support, including updates, leaving that to Fedora.

                    If you want something equivalent to RHEL, then use CentOS, which is
                    basically the same thing without support--there are differences, but
                    they are usually minimal, though CentOS tends to have better
                    documentation--putting things in a FAQ, such as, Hey, we moved all the
                    bind files, where RH's reaction was, We don't have to document it, it's
                    filed here on bugzilla.

                    If you want to see the latest and greatest, and what RH will become, use
                    Fedora. RH, in theory, is aimed more at the server market, despite
                    having what still seems to be a desktop user mentality. Fedora is all
                    desktop, with, for example, its graphic package manager not asking for
                    those pesky authentication passwords if you want to update something.

                    Buffy: Oh, no... I have to go take an English make-up exam.
                    They give you credit just for speaking it, right?
                  • J
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 19, 2010
                      On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 15:22, Jeffrey <n9mxtham@...> wrote:
                      > Ok, here is the scoop... I have 3 laptops running windows and two desktops running windows also.  All from XP PRO too Windows 7.  I want to convert one
                      > of my desktops to a Linux machine.  I heard Redhat is the way to go so that is what I want to do.  I figure this desktop sits around and does nothing so what
                      > the HECK!  I have been searching around all over the place on how and where to download the needed files for the OS but keep coming too LOTS of
                      > $$$$. One site wanted over $300 for the program.  Ommm, not going to happen.  So, where can I go to download it all for free or small fee??

                      The question then is WHY do you want to convert one to Linux. If you
                      want to learn about linux in general, that's one thing. If you have a
                      specific need for learning Linux, that's another thing entirely and
                      will dictate what distribution you install (though there is nothing at
                      all stopping you from installing many different distros on your
                      system.

                      As has been pointed out already, if you want Red Hat Enterprise
                      Linux, you need to look into CentOS. You can also try Fedora, Red
                      Hat's free offering which is more cutting edge.

                      If you want to just learn Linux in general, though, you have all sorts
                      of choices...

                      I recommend Ubuntu for newbies (*and not because I work for Canonical)
                      but there's also things like Mandriva, OpenSuSE, Debian, and literally
                      hundreds of others from rebranded copies to specially focused
                      variants.

                      I'd agree though, that if you're looking to learn for business
                      reasons, then in most cases, Red Hat is what you need to know (unless
                      you work in Cloud, and there Ubuntu is the number one Linux
                      distribution).

                      Cheers,

                      Jeff
                    • mansoor ali
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 26, 2010
                        I have a nfs server ........
                        my exported file is here     /opt/Server
                        exports entry                    /opt/Server *(rw,sync)

                        in my client machine i configured like this to access the nfs share (in fstab)
                          192.168.1.133:/opt/Server  /opt/server   nfs defaults  0 0

                        I can access the nfs share .........but the files are read only....any idea....can you help me plese...my manager is scolding me... please.....

                      • Sriharsha Kalluru
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 27, 2010
                          Please mention which version nfs you are using and OS version.
                          Also try this to fix the issue.
                          [skalluru@posdev ~]$ cat /etc/exports/d01/RHEL5_32bit *(rw,sync,no_root_squash)
                          The above one will fix the issue some times.
                          Regards,Sriharsha Kalluru.

                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 27, 2010
                            On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 11:09 AM, mansoor ali
                            <sneahatheeram@...> wrote:

                            > I have a nfs server ........
                            > my exported file is here     /opt/Server
                            > exports entry                    /opt/Server *(rw,sync)
                            >
                            > in my client machine i configured like this to access the nfs share (in fstab)
                            >   192.168.1.133:/opt/Server  /opt/server   nfs defaults  0 0
                            >
                            > I can access the nfs share .........but the files are read only....any idea....can you help me plese...

                            Check the user permissions of the files in server.

                            my manager is scolding me... please.....

                            Prajish S
                            Tweet me @Prajish
                          • david mouchoir
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jul 30, 2010
                              when you use NFS, by default root is squashed ie it becomes nobody
                              if you wan't root on clientside to access files on nfs exported directory
                              add no_root_squash to you export options
                              be careful with exported to * with no_root_squash
                              any body booting liveusb/cd linux on his computer will be able to mount the export and access all of it
                              hope this help