How to redirect var/log/messages

  • mansoor
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 16, 2010
      Hi....All ...I am using one server and 3 client machine..I want to get the same var/log/messages to one of my client machines which comes to Sever....how could we do that ?

      Thanks & regards
      Mansoor.Bangalore
    • Sriharsha Kalluru
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 17, 2010
        [ Please DO NOT top post. Post _below_ the old message, and quote only the relevant parts of the old message. - Moderator ]

        Please give the exact requirement you need. Because /var/log/messages is dynamically generated by the individual machine, you can't get the same messages as your server get.
        Regards,Sriharsha Kalluru
      • Hyatt, Dan
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 17, 2010
          You might be asking about a remote logging server.

          A logging server is where you copy or redirect your logs to another
          server.

          What I think you are asking is to have Server A store the messages files
          from client 1 client 2 and client 3

          http://www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/117513/171/

          ________________________________

          Hi....All ...I am using one server and 3 client machine..I want to get
          the same var/log/messages to one of my client machines which comes to
          Sever....how could we do that ?

          Thanks & regards
          Mansoor.Bangalore

          This e-mail and its attachments may contain Forest Laboratories, Inc. proprietary information that is privileged, confidential or subject to copyright belonging to Forest Laboratories, Inc. This e-mail is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering this e-mail to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying or action taken in relation to the contents of and attachments to this e-mail is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the original and any copy of this e-mail and any printout.

        • mansoor
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 17, 2010
            Sir......... I need the know that anybody tried to log my server, If i checked it seemed that he deleted all the var/log/messages. So i want to get the servers var/log/messages to any other remote system...
            that was my question ........
            --- In redhat@yahoogroups.com, "mansoor" <sneahatheeram@...> wrote:

            > Hi....All ...I am using one server and 3 client machine..I want to get the same var/log/messages to one of my client machines which comes to Sever....how could we do that ?
            >
            > Thanks & regards
            > Mansoor.Bangalore

          • amit wavhal
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 17, 2010
              [ Please DO NOT top post. Bottom quoted material REMOVED. - Moderator ]

              hi
              just go to to /etc/syslog.conf  put the entry *.* /dev/tty12
              restart the service syslogd then check whether it works or not
              amit wavhal

            • david.mouchoir
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 18, 2010
                it depends on which syslog program is running
                we use rsyslog and remote logging can be easily configured

                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 19, 2010
                  ________________________________

                  --- In redhat@yahoogroups.com <mailto:redhat%40yahoogroups.com> ,
                  "mansoor" <sneahatheeram@...> wrote:

                  > Hi....All ...I am using one server and 3 client machine..I want to get
                  the same var/log/messages to one of my client machines which comes to
                  Sever....how could we do that ?

                  > Thanks & regards
                  > Mansoor.Bangalore

                  forever system administrators have been using the logging server to
                  solve your problem.

                  You redirect the output to a specific server

                  You will use the client machine as a logging server. On your server to
                  be logged you will send the output to

                  /serverA/messages on your client machine (configuration on your
                  server, with the directory and file /serverA/messages created on your
                  client)

                  This is covered in every beginning system administration book. Including
                  the RedHat online manual.

                  <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=31413/grpspId=1705006580/msg
                  Id=19559/stime=1279497727/nc1=6083913/nc2=3848641/nc3=5191952>