Which cmd is used to create a device driver if it were deleted?

  • tux.ambarish
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 4, 2010
      Which command is used to create a device driver if it were deleted?
    • Hyatt, Dan
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 5, 2010
        If I understand the question correctly...

        It would either be

        Yum install driver_name

        Or

        Rpm -ipv driver_name.rpm

        Sometimes the driver still exists, and you just need to do a shutdown
        reconfigure (or am I thinking about solaris)

        There are times that you have to be more invasive in order to delete the
        old driver, such as deleting RedHat native device drivers for the iSCSI
        card.
        There is "deleting" the device driver where it will allow you to install
        a device driver that will be detected first, and there is DELETING the
        device driver where it cannot use the old device driver.

        Had a problem once with the iSCSI card being detected and loaded as a
        NIC, and even though we loaded the correct device drivers, we had to go
        back and delete RedHat native NIC drivers that were being detected by
        the device.

        ________________________________

        Which command is used to create a device driver if it were deleted?

        This e-mail and its attachments may contain Forest Laboratories, Inc. proprietary information that is privileged, confidential or subject to copyright belonging to Forest Laboratories, Inc. This e-mail is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering this e-mail to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying or action taken in relation to the contents of and attachments to this e-mail is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the original and any copy of this e-mail and any printout.

      • J
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 5, 2010
          On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 09:04, Hyatt, Dan <DHyatt@...> wrote:
          > If I understand the question correctly...
          >
          > It would either be
          >
          > Yum install driver_name
          >
          > Or
          >
          > Rpm -ipv driver_name.rpm

          Those only work if the driver is not native. The native ones included
          by default are all part of the kernel rpm. If the drivers that were
          deleted were part of the original installation then you'd need to
          simply :

          rpm -Uvh kernelfilename.rpm

          which should replace any files that are part of the kernel rpm and were deleted.

          > Sometimes the driver still exists, and you just need to do a shutdown
          > reconfigure (or am I thinking about solaris)

          I think that's probably solaris...

          > Had a problem once with the iSCSI card being detected and loaded as a
          > NIC, and even though we loaded the correct device drivers, we had to go
          > back and delete   RedHat native NIC drivers that were being detected by
          > the device.

          Are you sure that RH wasn't just loading BOTH drivers? For some
          reason, they, by default, load both the NIC and the iSCSI driver (for
          QLogic initiators, I think the drivers are qla3xxx and qla4xxx).

          The simple fix is to just remove the NIC driver from
          /etc/modprobe.conf and rebuild the initrd, removing the NIC driver so
          it doesn't load at boot time.

          cheers,

          Jeff
        • Hyatt, Dan
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 5, 2010
            ________________________________

            <mailto:DHyatt%40forestpharm.com> > wrote:
            > If I understand the question correctly...
            >
            > It would either be
            >
            > Yum install driver_name
            >
            > Or
            >
            > Rpm -ipv driver_name.rpm

            Those only work if the driver is not native. The native ones included
            by default are all part of the kernel rpm. If the drivers that were
            deleted were part of the original installation then you'd need to
            simply :

            rpm -Uvh kernelfilename.rpm

            which should replace any files that are part of the kernel rpm and were
            deleted.

            > Sometimes the driver still exists, and you just need to do a shutdown
            > reconfigure (or am I thinking about solaris)

            I think that's probably solaris...

            > Had a problem once with the iSCSI card being detected and loaded as a
            > NIC, and even though we loaded the correct device drivers, we had to
            go
            > back and delete RedHat native NIC drivers that were being detected
            by
            > the device.

            Are you sure that RH wasn't just loading BOTH drivers? For some
            reason, they, by default, load both the NIC and the iSCSI driver (for
            QLogic initiators, I think the drivers are qla3xxx and qla4xxx).

            The simple fix is to just remove the NIC driver from
            /etc/modprobe.conf and rebuild the initrd, removing the NIC driver so
            it doesn't load at boot time.

            cheers,

            Jeff

            Essentially "yes", except on the QLogic drivers, we had to delete the
            drivers, as removing them from modprobe.conf didn't suffice. Was a
            couple of years ago, but this was far more challenging then what is
            normally required to update drivers. We would get it working, remove it
            from modprobe.conf, then upon reboot it would reinstall the NIC driver
            at boot time.

            I kept notes on it somewhere.

            This e-mail and its attachments may contain Forest Laboratories, Inc. proprietary information that is privileged, confidential or subject to copyright belonging to Forest Laboratories, Inc. This e-mail is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering this e-mail to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying or action taken in relation to the contents of and attachments to this e-mail is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the original and any copy of this e-mail and any printout.

          • Dan
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 5, 2010
              I am trying to figure out how to configure an alternate DHCP server. The production server cannot run PXE per administrative rules.

              I need a provisioning server (using satellite)that can run DHCP with PXE boot that will not interfere with production.

              It is easy to get a VLAN assigned that is not production. The Sat server has two nics. But how would I configure the DHCP where it would not interfere with the production DHCP?

              The server must maintain a production interface to update existing redhat production servers.

              Suggestions?

            • J
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 5, 2010
                On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 12:16, Dan <hyattdj@...> wrote:
                >  I am trying to figure out how to configure an alternate DHCP server. The production server cannot run PXE
                > per administrative rules.

                Your rules suck ;-) I can understand the point, though...

                > I need a provisioning server (using satellite)that can run DHCP with PXE boot that will not interfere with
                > production.
                >
                > It is easy to get a VLAN assigned that is not production. The Sat server has two nics. But how would I
                > configure the DHCP where it would not interfere with the production DHCP?

                Assuming two NICs in the DHCP/PXE server, you can configure dhcpd to
                only listen on one specific NIC (and that NIC would be on the
                segregated VLAN).

                Another idea would be more work intensive, but you're provisioning, so
                I would assume you have or can get the MAC addresses for the systems
                to be provisioned. Configure a DCHP server that only hands out leases
                to known MAC addresses... however, that still may MAY cause issues if
                on the same network as another DHCP server, so YMMV and I never told
                you to do that ;-)

                > The server must maintain a production interface to update existing redhat production servers.
                >
                > Suggestions?

                Your bosses are always unreasonable ;-)

                At the moment, I would think that the BEST solution would be a
                dedicated segregated LAN for provisioning (staging network) and then
                you'd be good to go. it MAY work ok using a VLAN to segregate (I've
                never tried this, so YMMV and all that). And as I said, you can tell
                dhcpd which NIC to listen on, so you can, in theory, have it only
                listen on the VLAN for requests, so it would never answer requests on
                the other NIC... and you can even bolster that by coming up with some
                crafty IPTABLES rules that would prevent DHCP requests and replies
                from being passed between NICs on the system... or just fix it so
                that the ONLY traffic going out the NON-provisioning NIC are packets
                related to satellite.

                Also, this is really something that would be a GREAT reason to make
                use of that Red Hat Enterprise support contract...

                Cheers,

                Jeff
              • tux.ambarish
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 10, 2010
                  Hi Everyone,

                  Thanks for your help.
                  finally i had created device driver using The system call mknod

                  ---------------------------
                  Thanks and Regards,
                  Ambarish Sawant --> TUX 4 OpenSource

                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 10, 2010
                    On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 09:36, tux.ambarish <tux.ambarish@...> wrote:
                    > Hi Everyone,
                    >
                    > Thanks for your help.
                    > finally i had created device driver using  The system call mknod

                    What are you talking about? You really need to be more clear when
                    asking for help...

                    mknod has nothing to do with device drivers. mknod creates device
                    files in /proc that give the kernel and various apps a means to access
                    hardware.

                    This is completely different from creating a device driver...