Accounting software. was: New member

  • Clayton Bonser
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 19, 2010
      <snip>

      > Coming from the Noob section. . .
      >
      > Not that I'm pushing a windoze solution. But if QuickBooks(QB) doesn't
      > work for you would you be looking at something that was something
      > simalar to QB or more of a QB-Lite? I'v used it myself in a previous
      > business(retail) but was never really satisfied with the cash-register
      > portion of it. Though everything else was pretty good.
      >
      > Would QB be some what of a model to what you had in Mind?

      Ooh,
      I can't give a definitive answer to that, not having used any of the
      Quicken products. I would think a similar program would be the go. Here
      in Australia we have a package called Mind Your Own Business (MYOB)
      which I have very limited experience with. Something along those lines
      would be what I'm looking for. I believe that MYOB is making inroads
      into international markets lately, but it's still very new to most. MYOB
      is designed for use with Microsoft O/S's, and won't work under Wine.
      Something to do with extended MAPI (I dunno), which Wine doesn't do so
      it can't access email accounts in linux.

      In any case, MYOB is definitely limited in scope. This is deliberately
      so for purely commercial reasons. Tax rates for different purposes are
      'built in', and can't be changed by the operator. One has to purchase an
      upgrade when the A.T.O. change rates.
      There may be other areas that are not user definable for the same
      reason, but I don't need to know, so I don't.

      This would be one of the major areas that would need great care.
      Different countries have different governmental charges like taxes,
      tariffs and stamp duties. If a package were to be designed, these and
      probably a lot of other parameters would need to be user definable,
      without the whole thing becoming cumbersome.
      Also, here double entry isn't required, whereas in other places it is. A
      lot of flexibility without getting complicated would be great. Can it be
      done I wonder?

      Regards,
      Clay.