Linux Evaluation

  • darshan.bhuta
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2010
      Hey guys, we are trying to evaluate linux in our enterprise, wondering, what parts within the enterprise, is Linux ideally suited for. Do you think, since Linux is a good replacement for Solaris or Windows. Which server do you think does the best job supporting Linux
    • Hyatt, Dan
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 1, 2010
        Hey guys, we are trying to evaluate linux in our enterprise, wondering,
        what parts within the enterprise, is Linux ideally suited for. Do you
        think, since Linux is a good replacement for Solaris or Windows. Which
        server do you think does the best job supporting Linux

        Normally we do not answer these general questions but here
        goes..

        Linux is an excellent replacement for Sun and Windows in many cases.

        It is a commodity product dramatically decreasing cost in many
        applications.

        With Sun, most all applications that run on Solaris run on Redhat and
        RedHat is normally very comparable in speed, quality, uptime, etc.

        With Windows....well anytime the software allows you to upgrade from
        Windows to RedHat. I saw DO IT without even thinking about it. Costs
        will likely decrease, stability/uptime often increases, the
        administrators tend to be more capable then the windows admins.

        Of course I know some windows admins who do circles around most admins.
        But all in all, there are extremely few true system administrators on
        the windows side. They are almost all GUI administrators who are afraid
        of the command line.

        That is my opinion and I am sticking to it.

        This e-mail and its attachments may contain Forest Laboratories, Inc. proprietary information that is privileged, confidential or subject to copyright belonging to Forest Laboratories, Inc. This e-mail is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering this e-mail to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying or action taken in relation to the contents of and attachments to this e-mail is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the original and any copy of this e-mail and any printout.