Redhat Dvd Not Booting

  • fiyaz_87
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 17, 2009
      I use Windows XP and RHEL5 Server.i deleted this linux and all its partitions including swap from xp using Control Panel--> administartive tools.when i rebooted my machine i got a terminal
      grub>
      now i put my windows xp disc and reinstalled a fresh copy of xp.when i tried to install linux...the RHEL5 dvd is not booting....there's no scartches on the dvd...XP disc is booting...now wats the problem...did something got corrupt??

      how do i correct it......i need XP and Redhat on my PC
    • J
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 17, 2009
        On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 14:04, fiyaz_87 <fiyaz_87@...> wrote:

        > I use Windows XP and RHEL5 Server.i deleted this linux and all its partitions including swap from xp using Control Panel--> administartive tools.when i rebooted my machine i got a terminal
        > grub>
        > now i put my windows xp disc and reinstalled a fresh copy of xp.when i tried to install linux...the RHEL5 dvd is not booting....there's no scartches on the dvd...XP disc is booting...now wats the problem...did something got corrupt??
        >
        > how do i correct it......i need XP and Redhat on my PC

        Is this the same DVD you installed RHEL from the first time? And
        also, is this one that YOU burned from ISO yourself? And is this the
        SAME ISO you used the first time, or did you download an ISO again and
        burn it new?

        I've seen several things that can cause this. Usually it's because of
        one of these things, in this order:

        1: Cheap CD/DVD media
        2: bad ISO image, corrupted during download
        3: bad burn due to some issue during burning (not enough RAM, perhaps)
        4: cheap, old or dirty CD/DVD drive

        Now, you say the DVD is not booting, does the system even TRY to boot
        from the DVD? In other words, does it try hitting the DVD drive, or
        does it boot straight into Windows?

        That is usually because of A: bad or dead drive, or B: (more likely)
        incorrect configuration in BIOS causing the system to boot from HDD
        before DVD.

        HTH,

        The Dread Pirate...

        --

        Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach  - "Even a stopped clock is right twice a day."
      • Harsha
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 20, 2009
          Hi Fiyaz,

          I think the grub have been deleted from your machine and try to install the grub again and try.

          Regards
          Sriharsha Kalluru.

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 28, 2009
            may be my opinion is correct
            first boot by windows 98
            at dos
            write fdisk /mbr
            to repair the mbr
            the windows will boot
            after that you have 2 choice
            1-create the Linux partition  from windows by partition magic
            2-boot by redhat cd and reinstall  it

            i wish this is a good idea