Re: [redhat] partition information

  • Ian Laws
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 9, 2009
      On Wed, 2009-09-09 at 11:24 -0700, Dan wrote:

      > parted
      >
      > I am looking for the partition information on a server.

      Have you tried "fdisk -l" this shows all partitions.

      > Particularly I am looking for unallocated disk space on a local
      > machine.
      >
      > In solaris this was done either by the partition or format command.
      > I thought it was the same as linux.
      >
      > What is the command I am thinking of that tells me the physical disk
      > partitioning information without risking data on the server?
      >
      > Dan

    • Ramakrishnan
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 9, 2009
        you can use "fdisk -l" or "parted" for disk info..

        Regards,
        Ramakrishnan.

        ________________________________
        I am looking for the partition information on a server.

        Particularly I am looking for unallocated disk space on a local machine.

        In solaris this was done either by the partition or format command.
        I thought it was the same as linux.

        What is the command I am thinking of that tells me the physical disk partitioning information without risking data on the server?

        Dan

        Dream of becoming a dancing sensation? Find a dance guru on Yahoo! India Local http://in.local.yahoo.com/

      • J
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 9, 2009
          FWIW, Its been mentioned already but:

          fdisk -l /dev/$DISK

          will list partition info for a given disk while leaving the /dev/$DISK
          off will give you info on all hard disks (can be a pain if you've got
          more than a few drives).

          parted (maybe parted -p??) will do the same, but parted is a little
          easier to read since it gives numbers in MB instead of blocks like
          fdisk does.

          There are also quite a few GUI partition editors like gparted that
          will also tell you this without damaging the disk structure.

          keep in mind that this if you are running RAID, things get tricky.
          Depending on what kind of RAID you have, you may get results for the
          RAID logical drive, OR you may get results for individual hard
          disks...

          Mostly, I've only seen the latter occur when using MegaRAID for ATA
          devices, never seen it happen on a SCSI or SAS RAID array... but just
          keep that in mind...

          Now back to watching cute soccer moms in the park...

          --

          Jonathan Swift - "May you live every day of your life." -
          http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/j/jonathan_swift.html