NTP time server

  • Dan
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 5, 2009
      I have two servers on the same VM and I cannot get the times to synch with the time server. They are a couple of seconds off and that is too much.

      Any thoughts.
      ntpd -q and ntpdate  are not doing it...

      The target server is on the same subnet
      Dan
    • Aroleon Grunow
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 5, 2009
        On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 6:33 AM, Dan<hyattdj@...> wrote:

        > I have two servers on the same VM and I cannot get the times to synch with
        > the time server. They are a couple of seconds off and that is too much.

        Not sure what you mean. Two virtual machines on the same host?

        Do you have the same problem if you migrate the VM to another host?

        Do the VMs use the same ntp server as the host? Can you set up a level
        2/3 ntp server on your local network and have everything sync to that?

        Are you running Xen or VMware (workstation, ESX?)? (Or one of the
        others -- VirtualBox, qemu, et al)

        VMware is famous for time in the hosts being out. Google "vmware linux time".

        More information, please :)

        aro
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 5, 2009
          On 05Aug2009 13:33, Dan <hyattdj@...> wrote:
          | I have two servers on the same VM and I cannot get the times to
          | synch with the time server. They are a couple of seconds off and that
          | is too much.
          |
          | Any thoughts.
          | ntpd -q and ntpdate  are not doing it...
          |
          | The target server is on the same subnet

          Can you provide a transcript of your ntpdate incantation?
          I normally go:
          ntpdate ip-of-server
          for a manual once-off sync.
          --
          Cameron Simpson <cs@...> DoD#743
          http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

          What's a pencil? Is that like a PDA stylus?
          - betsys@... (Elizabeth Schwartz)